Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally got roof rack installed on my 74.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

I finally installed my unobtainium roof rack. The screws fitted into the premade spots in the hard top. It looks and will act much better than the type 3 roof rack I used to have, though a lot smaller.

I think I posted earlier to be cautious of putting a VWoA hardtop on over a roll bar, It took me a while to find out that my roll cage was 1/2 " too high, so I now have no roll bar.

I also installed the wiper motor I got from AlCapulco, it works great and doesn't blow fuses like the old one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

Very Nice. Unobtainium--very witty. How did you come across the roof rack?
Is it the VW one (with sticker)? The same roof rack components were used on Volvos and International scouts.

If you have original VW 5 point roll cage--the hard top should fit. Or you can take out hard top side support bars and put them in storage.

Shawn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

onezero wrote:
Very Nice. Unobtainium--very witty. How did you come across the roof rack?
Is it the VW one (with sticker)? The same roof rack components were used on Volvos and International scouts.

If you have original VW 5 point roll cage--the hard top should fit. Or you can take out hard top side support bars and put them in storage.

Shawn

When you say the same roof rack components were used on Volvos and Scouts, are the mounting brackets the exact same? I'm looking at purchasing a Thing roof rack, but it's missing one of the brackets, just wondering if it's worth my time to hunt down a bracket or keep looking for an intact Thing roof rack..... thanks.
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

Here are pics of an original VWoA Thing Roof rack I have on one of my hard tops and the roof rack I got off an International Scout for my other hard top for my '74. The part #s on the underside of the brackets are the same between the VWoA one and the one from the Scout. The bars were different lengths and I had to trim them down. Unfortunately, the Scout roof rack had screw on the side of the bracket too as you can see in the pics. I could use a filler and re-chrome or paint them but never got around to it.

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

So what does the sticker look like? Where is it located?
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

It is on one of the bars that runs parallel with the side of the car.

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

Very nice, don't remember seeing one before. What is the maximum load?
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

110 lb.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

onezero wrote:
It is on one of the bars that runs parallel with the side of the car.

Any chance you could send the measurements of that sticker? I just purchased a roof rack, but the sticker appears to be long gone or maybe I didn’t get a true VWoA one... in any case, I’d like to see if I could the sticker made.
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

I'll get out and get you the measurements on the decal. My Thing is in storage for the winer so it may take a few days.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

Thanks! And no rush. Mine is in winter ❄️ storage as well.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

onezero wrote:
I'll get out and get you the measurements on the decal. My Thing is in storage for the winer so it may take a few days.

Just wondering if you ever gotten around to measuring the roof rack sticker. Thanks.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got roof rack installed on my 74. Reply with quote

I am in the process of moving house. Please remind me in 5 weeks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: