Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

semaphore help ??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

My car is 12 volt but I have og 6 volt s semaphores Is running a voltage drop the way to go ? Any pics or ideas would be great. Thanks
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

This is what you need...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2204906

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

Yeah that resistor will work perfect if you're running just semaphores alone...

The only problem with those resistors is when their used constant (headlights, tails, wipers etc) they get real hot. real fast...

And never ever hide one under a tar board... (ask me how I know)
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

Run two. One to each semaphore after the switch. Those resistors run about $10 also.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

I have seen some 12 volt repop semaphores from some online connection. Cip1 maybe, WW. I did see them.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

Koch's sells them: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1826485
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Koch's sells them: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1826485

Any one have experience with these? What's the quality?
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

I have a set on my car, they look and work great.
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

The CIP1 ones are $207 US each..ouch! You could have your originals rewound to 12V which might be cheaper.
chez2165
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

How long would 6volt semaphores last with 12volt run through them.
ghia4mea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

The semaphores, as designed by VW, draw a certain amount of current (amps/milliamps) at 6 volts.
If the dropping resistor inserts the correct amount of resistance (ohms), then the semaphores will draw the exact same amount of current at 12 volts.
It is only a matter of inserting the correct amount of resistance and the semaphores will last as long as they would have at 6v.
The other issue is wattage. The resistor has to be beefy enough to disapate the heat that is created by the voltage drop. That extra 6v is converted to heat via the resistor.
I hope I have explained this clear enough.
Bottom line: there is no danger to your semaphores when run at 12v if they are only getting the same current (amperage) via the resistor. The voltage number means little as long as the current is no more than what they were designed to draw.
Ken
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

with no resister they would last for seconds
maybe a minute or two

you can put 12v through for a brief flash, just to see if they work - but even that might kill them instantly

so - not recommended

Ken (just above) has it right

Last edited by swanlakers on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
you can put 12v through for a brief flash, just to see if they work - but even than might kill them instantly

I've done this for a split second - they absolutely slammed open too.

They were fine afterward.
I wouldn't recommend it though
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chez2165
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, thats answered my question.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a 54 that he converted to 12V without doing anything to the semaphores. He said they start to smoke after about 30-45 seconds.

You might think that by hitting them with 12V, you're putting double the heat into them. Not so. You're putting FOUR times the heat into them.
A stock 6V semaphore has 6A going through it. When you apply 12V to it, you get 12A. Therefore the power (heat), which was originally 36Watts, jumps to 144W when you apply 12V to it.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: semaphore help ?? Reply with quote

ghia4mea wrote:
The semaphores, as designed by VW, draw a certain amount of current (amps/milliamps) at 6 volts.
If the dropping resistor inserts the correct amount of resistance (ohms), then the semaphores will draw the exact same amount of current at 12 volts.
It is only a matter of inserting the correct amount of resistance and the semaphores will last as long as they would have at 6v.
The other issue is wattage. The resistor has to be beefy enough to disapate the heat that is created by the voltage drop. That extra 6v is converted to heat via the resistor.
I hope I have explained this clear enough.
Bottom line: there is no danger to your semaphores when run at 12v if they are only getting the same current (amperage) via the resistor. The voltage number means little as long as the current is no more than what they were designed to draw.
Ken

100% correct!
The dropping resistor I picked cuts the voltage exactly in half, 12V to 6V.

Many people report that their semaphores are sometimes listless, lifting only part way in a 6V car. I could have picked a resistor that would make the semaphore see a little bit more, say 7V, but that has a drawback. More heat in the semaphore. The proper solution is to find out why it doesn't lift all the way.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2204906
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: