Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ukekuke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Took her to grammas' house.
Then sold her to a cuz for xx,000
Ka-ching😬
RyanKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Nice shot, Owokie! We've yet to travel to Colorado in the Westy, but it's on the list for sure. My wife did an internship at the Dennver Zoo and has been dying to spend some more time in Colorado every since.

0-60, The moonscape shots are from Laguna Salada, a dry lake bed on the way to Guadalupe Canyon Oasis campground. The lake bed is an infinitely smoother alternative route to the 40 miles of washboard road that connects from the campground to the Mex 2D highway. I drove about 45mph across the lakebed, but probably could have gone faster. The campground website (Guadalupecanyonhotsprings.com) has pretty good instructions on how to get there from the different border crossings. We crossed at Tecate and arrived at the campground about 3 hours later.

Google maps route shows the washboard road but you can see the tracks across the lakebed just to the east.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the view as you pull off the Mex 2D highway onto the lakebed.

Makeshift signage along the way.

The was a small water crossing to get into the campground. Water was about a foot deep. 2wd is fine but you'll need a little bit of ground clearance to get up the rocky road into the campground.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Damn
As soon as my subi is considered reliable im on that trip.
From tucson its probably only 5 hours. Looks amazing.
Muy bien amigos. Buen viaje.

Shit they have hot springs too?
Fantastico!

Update: After a little research and calling friends who have ben there, It's known to get batshit crazy down there and not necessarily a child friendly environment at times.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Chewey spent Thangsgiving dismantled in our garage, getting a complete rear end rebuild with new bearing, seals, CV joints & brakes. I hope to get it put back together by Christmas. Meanwhile, he's protecting our house from thieves, vandals & field mice.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:
...protecting our house from thieves, vandals & field mice...

Because...peppermint oil...???

<shrug>

PS: Sweet rims, dude! Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Our story? Four adults, two standard poodles, 4.5 hour drive to visit friends. What other car would accomodate all that? And then, of course, when emerged from the triptophane haze I'm assembling the Revell Westfalir I got for my birthday. And to top it off I delivered a bumper hitch that I sold on Th Samba. Could there be a more a Vanagon Thanksgiving?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

My garage fridge recently bit the dust and I'm having a hard time getting a tech to come fix it. Last night my elder daughter, our resident dessert artist, asked if we could use the Vanagon fridge to keep the pies cool.

Glad to know the old girl (the van, not the daughter) can contribute!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MartinG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Mine is parked at the inlaw's waiting for my Brother in Law and I to get it running again. We're celebrating there this year so at least I'll get to see it though I won't have time to get anything done.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Mine is getting new tent canvas starting with basic prep today and the installation in earnest tomorrow (and maybe Friday).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

All we want for Thanksgiving is to finally be on the road with our new bus after waiting around for 37 days for mechanical work; first at a horrid shop in Florence, Oregon, and then at a wonderful shop in Chico. More on this when I finally update our crash thread, wanted good news to do that.

That dream should come true late today or tomorrow. A buffet along the way will be just fine by us.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bussers!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

the Vanagon is a turkey
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Good call, we're just the stuffing. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
the Vanagon is a turkey

(I don't remember who originally posted this, but I've been holding on to it for just such an occasion.)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Mine is going have a sandblaster nozzle pointed at various areas that need some refreshed rust protection. Will also blast & paint some fugly stuff in the engine room while i have the sand-- plenum, intake runners, etc.
Will make & install supplemental grounds next week in the long process of waking this old sweetheart up from a few years of mothballs.

Thanks for the info support, Samba!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Our Westy will be taking the dog to the river (regular weekend and holiday morning tradition) as part of its daily driver duties since the Mopar minivan is still in the shop. I think it's getting used to the drill. If it had a hitch it would get to do a bunch more fun stuff like dump runs, firewood fetching, things like that.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

Last minute errands and when coming home wound up behind the highway truck throwing salt for 5 miles. Pulled over and let a dozen cars go first to try to spread out some of it, but not a great start to the day. Will go to the car wash tomorrow and do both the auto undercarriage job and a double session with the high pressure wands.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Last minute errands and when coming home wound up behind the highway truck throwing salt for 5 miles. Pulled over and let a dozen cars go first to try to spread out some of it, but not a great start to the day. Will go to the car wash tomorrow and do both the auto undercarriage job and a double session with the high pressure wands.

Bummer! We are off island with our van and apparently they had some snow here on cape cod (we are currently in New seabury) a few days ago and I could see piles of salt all over the roads. I was cringing as we were driving over the salt laden roads. Apparently they had some snow squalls north of us yesterday and we are headed in that direction today. I’m hoping the roads are at least dry. A head to toe car wash will be the first thing I do when we get home. I’m just glad I recoated the undercarriage with cosmoline about a month ago. Looks like it’s officially time to lay the van up for winter. Shucks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Merian wrote:
the Vanagon is a turkey

(I don't remember who originally posted this, but I've been holding on to it for just such an occasion.)

Well worth the wait!

Very Happy
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Our Westy will be taking the dog to the river (regular weekend and holiday morning tradition) as part of its daily driver duties since the Mopar minivan is still in the shop. I think it's getting used to the drill. If it had a hitch it would get to do a bunch more fun stuff like dump runs, firewood fetching, things like that.

Dump runs on Thanksgiving with a VW van! Yes!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving! How is your Vanagon involved? Reply with quote

My van is gonna haul my fam up to Wisco for the holiday. Smile

Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: