Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold? Reply with quote

On the forum the question comes up from time to time why the Vanagon with an automatic transmission will not move when the gear-lever is in D or R..cold. It may take what seems like a minute and then the transmission shifts fine. Once the Vanagon is parked for a while the problem returns..why?

The answer could be a number of things..first off..your transmission could have worn seals or clutches..could be low ATF..could be normal too.

I went back through the old achieves from my training days with Porsche and thought I would share some information from 1982. The 010/089/090 transmission was still a relatively new item for VW/Porsche/Audi cars and the same basic transmission is/was used in many different cars.

One problem they had, early on, was the transmission balking once starting out cold, when the car had been parked for a while.

VW and Audi are silent on the solution. Porsche was better and described the problem and solution in a 1982 technical supplement for the 924 Turbo.

The solution was in installation of a "seal" to keep the torque converter from draining out when parked. The seal is used in Vanagons too. The seal is in the part catalogs. Probably NLA. Don't plan on replacing it.

I have built a few of these transmissions and never found the "seal" inside any turbine shaft. I suspect over time and use the seal gets loose and blows harmlessly into the torque converter. Lost forever until the torque converter is rebuilt.

If your automatic transmission Vanagon is balking moving in D or R cold..after being parked for a few days..it could be the torque converter draining down.

Put the gear-lever in N or P then wait a few seconds..Porsche says 10 to 20 seconds...which seems like a long time if you are sitting around..wait or blip the throttle a few times..fasten you seat belt..adjust your mirrors..adjust your radio..whatever..and then try D or R and see if the Vanagon moves out as it should.

Hope this is helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold? Reply with quote

Vanagon boxes had a flat spring valve located underneath the inner pinion seal that kept the TC from draining down. Unfortunately the spring is easily damaged when a pry bar is inserted into the seal to pries the seal out. The damaged spring is not easily replaceable as it is held in place by an inaccessible rivet.

The spring on my '91 was so damaged by a previous owner (the damaged spring also pressed against the seal and eventually damaged it). I just put up with the transmission taking up to thirty seconds to engage if the car is not driven daily.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold? Reply with quote

Great information guys!

Thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge, this should come as a relief to many automatic drivers.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold? Reply with quote

Always a pleasure reading your informative posts. Thanks. My auto has been well treated and is low miles, yet exhibits this trait. Next cold start I willdo the pause and see what happens to add to the knowledge. In summer I hardly experience it but we are in the 30s now and it usually does it all winter.

Thank you!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon with an automatic transmission balks moving when cold? Reply with quote

For what it's worth, ZF HP transmissions are known for this issue as well Most people are living with it, or they take so long to get going with the vehicle that the TC refills and they're unaware it's happening in the first place.... Razz Rolling Eyes
So far, I haven't experienced any TC drain back on my '84 and it sits for days at a time since I'm still working on it and only moving it once a week at best when I pull it in to do the next never ending job...Guess that's one thing that works on the Van as designed.... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: