Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FOOKS wheels on GHIA
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Hi all. Has anyone fitted Fooks wheels on un-narrowed front beam with lowered spindles? Do they fit? Will there be enough space for the 4 to 5 bolt adapters?

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Just as a FYI, the wheels are Fuchs.

The best way to ensure proper fitment is to get a set of rotors & drums that are drilled for the 5x130 pattern to keep from pushing the wheels out any further.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Just as a FYI, the wheels are Fuchs.

The best way to ensure proper fitment is to get a set of rotors & drums that are drilled for the 5x130 pattern to keep from pushing the wheels out any further.

Would you suggest drilling the existing rotors and drums?

PS: Certain shops called them Fooks for some reason. I am referring to these not the original ones

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac601005bp-ssp-fooks-al...5-vw-spare
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Then those are indeed Fooks. Laughing

Most of the drums & rotors that are drilled for the Porsche pattern use blanks that have additional material where the studs/bolts would go. The original parts are thinner in the areas where the bolt holes are not.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

This Ghia has a stock width beam with drop spindles. No adapters though. Either get the drop spindle/disk brake kit or 5x130 drums. I don't know about those "Fooks" but if you go the drum route you'll have to turn the snout down a little to fit the center caps (at least you do for "Fuchs" repop style wheels).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Not sure how many Fuch rim manufacturers have created repops… So would back spacing be different? I would also recommend purchasing drums and rotors to test fit. That is what I did. Ended up with a 2 inch narrow beam and a short axle conversion in the rear (I have a 68 with long axles). I shoe horned 17X7 Fuchs into my Ghia. Also, keep in mind, each KG was hand crafted, so one rim/tire may fit well with no rubbing on one Ghia, but not another. Make sense??
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

These have an offset of ET45 which is close to the original ET46 so would work well if you drilled the drums/rotors rather than using spacers.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Have you read thru these yet? Good chance your question is in there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433753

I dont think it will work with adapters up front.
I had to use 1/4 spacer in rear with early short axles (60-66). In front I narrowed 3in and rotors drilled for Porsche pattern. Several faux Fuchs repops, are they the same backspace as OG's? You may be able too, as PeteSC pic shows but who knows how untouched either car is. That one is later fatchick so IRS in back. So, year matters...in back early cars were short axle, 67 is short axle long spline, 68 is long axle long spline, 69+ is IRS. Front early til 66 wide 5 lug, 67 first year of 4 lug disc...thru 74. Rotors are available blank or drilled for 5X130. Rear drums can be drilled 5/130 but a machinist will need to mill down the snout 9/16 or so.
Here is a pic with bonus side trim holes Very Happy OG Fuchs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Some dropped spindles will add to the width like CB ones will add 5/8” per side, I think the EMPI ones are zero offset.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

I found using 6x16 original fuchs from the 80's Porsche worked very well. With these the lower ball joint didn't hit the wheel over bumps and the steering radius was good, so was the stance. I had dropped spindles and an adjustable beam with Avis adjusters. The beam was narrowed 1/2 inch on each side.

Last edited by Bones 53 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
I found using 6x16 original fucks from the 80's Porsche worked very well.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQhZyNKqhM

Last edited by Mellow Yellow 74 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Bones 53 wrote:
I found using 6x16 original fucks from the 80's Porsche worked very well.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQhZyNKqhM

... that's Fooked up.

bnc
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

History Lesson:

https://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/history

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

Thanks, guys for your input.

So it seems that the Ghia's original wheels are similar in dimensions to these SPF Fooks wheels with an ET 45? Anyone knows the ET of the original factory wheels?

Is drilling the existing 4 bolt disks and drums considered safe?

My other option would then be to keep the original wheels and do white walls. Anyone had issues with the white walls rubbing on the tyres and tearing the sides?

Thanks.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

sciclunam wrote:
...Anyone knows the ET of the original factory wheels?
I believe this information was taken from the Bentley manual"
"Karmann Ghias have 4˝Jx15 wheels. As of March, 1972, this rim size has also been used on other models covered by this Manual. Offset is the difference between the center of the rim width and the mounting face that bolts to the brake drum or brake disc hub. Karmann Ghia wheels have a 46-mm offset."

I got it from a post here on TS but can'rt remember the source.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445767&start=0

bnc
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: FOOKS wheels on GHIA Reply with quote

More info on og fuchs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67203
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: