Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in first
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Stuck in first Reply with quote

59 bus with a 68 bug tranny and berg bus shifter. As the title states, I can't get it out of first gear.
The issue came up after the last leg of a 3000 mile trek across the US. Pulled over to get some gas and this problem happened. There was no weird noises or noticeable differences from when I started the trip to when the problem came up. One thing to note is that the back bolt on the shifter was very loose. I tried adjusting thing with no avail. During adjustment I noticed losing gears based on how I adjusted the lockout plate. The lockout plate has been accordingly to get every gear while the motor is off. Below you can find more details of the problem as well as my observations so far. I will continue to update as I continue to tinker around.

When the motor is off: It feels like I can find each gear as I shift through them.

When the motor is running and the vehicle is not moving: Neutral 1st 2nd Reverse act as 1st.
I let the clutch out while I am in 1st, moves forward. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 2nd, moves forward. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 3rd, wants to die. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 4th, wants to die. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in Reverse, moves forward. Weird.
I let the clutch out while I am in Neutral, moves forward. Weird.

When the motor is running and the vehicle is moving: Neutral 1st 2nd act as 1st and I can't get 3rd or 4th.
I am in 1st. Drives like it's in 1st.
Shifting into 2nd, feels like I shifted into 2nd, but I am for sure still in 1st gear.
Doesn't allow me to shift into 3rd. No grinding, or anything.
Doesn't allow me to shift into 4th. No grinding, or anything.
Putting it in Neutral, still 1st. Same with Reverse.

What I have done and other observations:
I checked the coupling. Seems fine.
Shifter seems to be sitting correctly.
I've tinkered with the lockout plate quite a bit as well and think that is working too.
I can also see the rod moving and twisting all the way to the transmissions so it seems to be working correctly.
There is some slight slight wear on the ball on the shifter but I don't seem it being enough to cause this issue.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by trøy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Perhaps you mean reverse acts as 1st?

Finding second when you aim for reverse is an adjustment and/ or worn shift stick skirt issue.

Sounds like your clutch may be bad. Have you tried adjusting the clutch? Maybe it has some oil on it.
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Perhaps you mean reverse acts as 1st?

Finding second when you aim for reverse is an adjustment and/ or worn shift stick skirt issue.

Sounds like your clutch may be bad. Have you tried adjusting the clutch? Maybe it has some oil on it.

I updated my post to maybe help better articulate the issue I am having.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

sounds like you have a sticking clutch.

i would drop the motor and check the clutch. Once that is known good, check that your shifter shifts the tranny. easy with the motor out.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

I would take a closer look at the rear coupler. Make sure the grub screws are tight and in their dimples on both the shift rod and the hockey stick end. Also, make sure the coupler itself is not coming apart.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

@mandraks - I will update regarding the clutch as I know more.

@Joey - Yeah, the coupler is in good condition. Those locking screws seem to be set properly and are tight. I can have someone shift while I am under and I can see the shift rod move and the hockey stick react accordingly.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

I’m sure others above have you on the right track, but before you go taking things apart, you’ve checked the front tranny mount correct?
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

@Malokin Martin - When I checked originally seemed okay. I gave it a quick once over. Will confirm when I get back to it.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

I doubt it's the clutch if you say when you let it out the bus starts to move - I don't think the clutch knows or cares what gear the transmission is in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

It reads like you broke the little round head off the dogleg inside the nosecone. Only thing that doesn't jive with that is you say 1st and 2nd move like low gears and 3rd and 4th start to die like high gears.

So the only "real" neutral you have is when the clutch is in?

When you say it feels like it gets all the gears with the engine off can you feel the detent ball or does it just move to that position?

When you lay under and watch does reverse actually rotate farther than 2nd?
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

@BarryL - Can you elaborate on the round head in the nosecone on the dogleg? I don't follow what you are describing. Can you point me to a photo or diagram.

Correct. The real only neutral I have is when clutch is in.

Can't say I can feel the detent ball. But it does seem to move to the proper position.

Goes further when it goes into reverse.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

The head of the hockey stick is inside the transmission. It's what moves the selector forks to change gears. The nose cone is the front most bolt on part of the transmission. The front trans mount attaches to the nose cone.

The Berg shifter is a precise short throw shifter. If too much force is used changing gears it can easily damage the hockey stick and maybe even the transmission.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

trøy wrote:
When the motor is running and the vehicle is not moving: Neutral 1st 2nd Reverse act as 1st.
I let the clutch out while I am in 1st, moves forward. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 2nd, moves forward. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 3rd, wants to die. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in 4th, wants to die. Seems to check out.
I let the clutch out while I am in Reverse, moves forward. Weird.
I let the clutch out while I am in Neutral, moves forward. Weird.

If you think you are putting the bus in reverse, and it actually moves forward, it is not in reverse. It is in 2nd. not in first. 2nd is close to reverse in the shift pattern. If there is a problem with the reverse lock out, shift adjustment or shifter linkage, this can happen. I'd think you have worn parts, also some adjustment could help.

You cannot shift into 1st accidently when shifting to 2nd. unless your coordination is far off. Pulling the shift stick back the hockey stick goes forward and the trans will go into reverse, 2nd, or 4th depending how far to left or right it is rotated.

With a worn reverse lock out, you can accidentally shift into reverse when trying for second. If things shifted, you may not get reverse when you aim for it, but find 2nd instead. Does the shift action feel normal? dis the way it feels change?

If you get full mop in a bucket shift stick action, the linkage has come apart.

I'd go back and double check the linkage front to back. Look for any slop at the couplers.

Another thing, does the shift stick move maybe an inch when you step on the gas or let off? or does it stay still?

If the hockey sticky is decapitated, it's time to pull engine, and pull tranny. Have to pull tranny to take nose cone off to swap hockeystick. If that's the problem, it'll likely take a full day to fix, but parts are not expensive at least.

is this a split case tranny 59, or tunnel case/late 59? What it came with when new?
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Troy you left out one important information...you drove from NC to NM climbing mountains and a little out of shifting and clutch practices driving an early bus....you failed to mention before you stopped to get gas, is That you were starting to have a little trouble with second or third, can't remember which one.....anyhow when we started trying to figure things out is when you noticed rear bolt was completely loose on rear of shifter/plate....maybe due from shifting poorly? So things got worse when you started trying to adjust unfamiliar technique w/berg shifter 40% less throw.....things only got worse. So the only reason I'm posting is so maybe someone can shed some light on what to try next....I have been waiting for you to post this info.....so I stepped in to try to explain what happened prior to being stuck in first.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Clara....68 beetle tranny with early split case nose cone
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

trøy wrote:
@BarryL - Can you elaborate on the round head in the nosecone on the dogleg? I don't follow what you are describing. Can you point me to a photo or diagram.

Here is photo posted by member "way out west".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

His photo appears in a mirror. The head is what selects your gears and if it broke off then it can't push or pull the selectors to couple your chosen gears.

Here is where it slots into a sliding selector.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What you said about no real neutral and what JohnnyRingo said will both act similar but shift plate is much easier and probably more likely.
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

@JohnnyRingo - Thanks for chiming in. I think my initial messages to you may have been false looking back. When I had mentioned I lost 3rd, or 4th and had second etc. It was ALL the problem I have described above. When the vehicle is off I think I have the gears. When it drives it is different. Sorry for the confusion there.

And yes, to your point, I absolutely did notice the back bolt of the shifter very very loose after the long trek across the US. I have updated the initial post detailing that information! Thanks for the input.

@Clara -
Quote:
"If you think you are putting the bus in reverse, and it actually moves forward, it is not in reverse. It is in 2nd. not in first. 2nd is close to reverse in the shift pattern. If there is a problem with the reverse lock out, shift adjustment or shifter linkage, this can happen. I'd think you have worn parts, also some adjustment could help."

I can assure you. When I put it into reverse, it is in first. Not second. I really top out at 10mph. Again, Neutral 1st 2nd Reverse are all the same.

That's the strange thing. It feels like I shifted into X gear but it all still functions as 1st.

Will jack it up tomorrow night and take another look underneath it and triple check the linkage.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Sounds like the hockey stick came out of the shift fork slots.

Troy, you and I have something in common - we both purchased a bus from JohnnyRingo. I wanted to drive my bus home but because of a tight schedule I ended up shipping it home. Back in April JohnnyRingo and I drove from Winston Salem, NC to Florida for the No Dough show in your bus. Except a small mishap with the ignition switch and a sticking accelerator pedal the bus ran excellent there and back. Once you get this shifting problem sorted out you'll have an excellent running bus!

You may want to consider going back to a stock shifter.

JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Stock shifter.....is for stock boys....Berg is smooth as butter....probaly gonna get one for the ol stock swivel seat.....did you hear that TROY....I will take that one off youre hand, like oh Joey didn't want his either. I think oh Joey might be on to something, with that short throw (not really shifter) you could have easily pulled hockey stick out of shift fork slot?
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Stock shifter.....is for stock boys....Berg is smooth as butter....probaly gonna get one for the ol stock swivel seat.....did you hear that TROY....I will take that one off youre hand, like oh Joey didn't want his either. I think oh Joey might be on to something, with that short throw (not really shifter) you could have easily pulled hockey stick out of shift fork slot?

Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: