Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Our favorite hang out, Fosters Freeze est. 1946.
Still looks the same today...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

So here we are eating oysters raw on the half shell half dozen and half dozen cooked. Less than 8 hours ago they were alive and well and now consumed with a frosty cheap bud and some cocktail sauce. I grew up eating this stuff😀
Spent Christmas with Pops at the beach in Gulf Shores Alabama AKA the redneck riviera. I thought that was good use of a super beetle too.

typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Just got back ourselves from the Gulf Shores area. We didn't make it to the Oyster House this time, my son and his girl friend did thouth. We did make it to Flobama for some raw oysters Sunday morning. Kind of a late breakfast early lunch.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Apologies in advance if this place has already been called out--I don't feel like scrolling back through 19 pages to find out. Anyway, we went to a place over by my son and daughter in law's place in Whittier, CA called Rubi's on Washington Blvd. I had the OMG burger--double bacon cheeseburger topped with pastrami. It probably took 6 months off my life but the taste buds sure enjoyed it. Cool
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Just thought i would throw this up. I think it is already listed in the New Jersey section. Old time Donut shop. Ob-Co's Toms River New Jersey

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Lived in Littlerock, CA just a couple of miles from The Pines. Always stopped for food there. What I remember was NO KETCHUP!!! They would throw you out if you asked for it. But their salsa substitute was to die for. Did anyone also put in this blog, Tito's Tacos at the corner of Washington Place and Sepulveda Blvd in Venice. Started going there in the late 60's and today the place still has the same decor and great tacos. I moved out of CA 2 years ago for Indianapolis and I still miss Tito's and In n Out Burger.
Bosco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

OH, and here in Indy, The Claddagh Bar and Grill in downtown Indy is great. Their traditional Irish Breakfast is exactly what I remember when I toured Ireland. In Avon, Indiana just a few miles from downtown Indy, they just opened a Portillo's Hot Dog restaurant. Really good.
Bosco
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

I just checked Texas on the spreadsheet. No mention of The Big Texan Steak Ranch on I 40 in Amarillo, Texas. If you can eat their 72 oz steak with fixins' in 60 minutes, it's free.

https://www.bigtexan.com/

Another, Q39 BBQ at 1000 W 39th St, Kansas City, MO 64111

https://q39kc.com/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Here’s what they don’t tell you in rule 8 at the big Texan.. you sit on a raised platform for all to see, you are the entertainment Very Happy but many have done it. I think it’s around 70 to 80 bucks depending on beef prices. Very Happy
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

I saw that movie. John Candy and Dan Aykroyd. Wink Laughing Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Well, I found out yesterday that the Italian restaurant I've been going to sense they opened in 1965 is in the process of being sold. Everything they make is delish. They have the best pizza too.
The Venetian restaurant in Point Loma.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

When I was at the Big Texan Steak Ranch, they have pictures of a 135 pound lady who is a professional eater. She ate 3, yes 3 of these steak dinners in 60 minutes. Here is the video of her eating them:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A...ction=view
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

This fellow is way off the beaten path but if you look him up you’ll find he’s won numerous awards and has made a career out of BBQ. Nice guy he only works a few hours a day and usually sells out way before closing time. The smoked prime rib is to die for.

www.buffalosbbq.com

I happened to be up here taking pics of old movie location and this is here in a town of less than 1000 people. I’ve known Donny for 20 years it’s worth the drive
IRQVET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

If your ever in the pacific northwest (NorCal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho), and your a pizza addict like I am, you have to stop at a MODS Pizza (MOD= Made on Demand). Its fresh, prices are good, comes out SUPER fast (less than 5 minutes), and it makes my inner fat child very happy.

Whether you get a cheese pizza, or you get one with unlimited toppings, its the same price. ($7.50 +/-)

I cannot recommend them enough.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

IRQVET wrote:
If your ever in the pacific northwest (NorCal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho), and your a pizza addict like I am, you have to stop at a MODS Pizza (MOD= Made on Demand). Its fresh, prices are good, comes out SUPER fast (less than 5 minutes), and it makes my inner fat child very happy.

Whether you get a cheese pizza, or you get one with unlimited toppings, its the same price. ($7.50 +/-)

We have them here in Michigan, too. Their beers are only $1.50! Cheeper to drink beer than pop!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

IRQVET wrote:

I just texted wifey about MOD pizza. We have 2 of them in Eugene! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This fellow is way off the beaten path but if you look him up you’ll find he’s won numerous awards and has made a career out of BBQ. Nice guy he only works a few hours a day and usually sells out way before closing time. The smoked prime rib is to die for.

www.buffalosbbq.com

I happened to be up here taking pics of old movie location and this is here in a town of less than 1000 people. I’ve known Donny for 20 years it’s worth the drive

Still haven't gotten up there yet-- next time I'm over there. Meanwhile I'll list Smokey's Sandwich shop and Fat Guy's Burgers (their A-1 burger is A-1, and not much more than a fast food burger.)
I noticed a friend of mine purchased an Oklahoma Joe's grill recently- is that related to the restaurant in Tulsa?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

I'll update soon

My son took us to a great lil fish shack in Albany NY

Ted's Fish Fry
203 Wolf Rd, Albany, NY 12205

Seems to be a local upstate NY family business with a few locations around Albany

Great fresh fried fish. Not a grease pit.

The Clam Chowders...are... out of bounds. Shocked
Both the New England and Manhattan are scratch made in house..

https://www.tedsfishfry.com

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Diner, Drive In, Dive, Restaurant, Your Local Go To Favorite Reply with quote

This is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the state of Oklahoma. Since 1908 they’ve been serving chili and we’ve been there bunch of times. It’s ok but overpriced IMO. They’ve moved around over the decades but are getting closer to where they first started. Definitely not a chain.

They are located right off Route 66 so they can claim that too Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: