Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Barndoor from the swamp
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Wow, I'm very sorry to hear about your injury.
How did it happen? Perhaps your description could help others avoid getting hurt.

Stupid thing, like most accidents.
I was about to apply a resin into the tank so before that, I had to apply a rust remover, then wash it with acetone and dry it before to apply the resin.

After the acetone, I needed to dry it so i thought I could just carefully light the acetore vapors left in it. I had done it that way in the past so I knew it could make a little explosion, so with a lot of care and protections I lighted a match in it. All went OK, and it burnt a few minutes. I through another match in it, it burnt a few seconds. Then I tried a 3rd time and it didn't burn. So I've been able to dry the inside of the tank with the blowlamp without any problem... Very Happy

I then stopped working for the lunch and during that time it rained a little on the tank, which had the neck on the topside so i thought maybe some waters could have go inside..... Crying or Very sad .... I thought "OK let's heat the inside again a little to dry it". I thought it was safe because 2 hours earlier I burnt all the vapors carefully and already dried it that way.
But as soon as I approached my blowlamp from the neck.... BOOM ! Embarassed

My hand was right on front of the neck so it took all the heat of the explsion, but actually a 1 meter flame covered my whole body and thankfully only burnt my beard, which I think protected my face BTW Laughing (it was cold so thankfully I had a beanie, and a long sleeve sweater)
I guess some vapors were still liberated during my lunch break... Well, it's still seems curious to me... but the conclusion is that you can never consider a tank to be "safe" Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I am lucky that only my hand burnt... and not my face, my complete arm, or even my whole garage if I would have been inside. And all the doctors at the hospital says I am recovering very quickly considering how hard it was burnt so I'm pretty happy and I can now work on the bus again since a few days. With lots of care though because the new skin is still very thin, but at least I can work. Twisted Evil

Only 3 weeks left before the departure for BenPon show and the front of the bus is still unpainted, cargo area unpainted, some weldings to do here and there, the front beam still not home and yet to be restored, no brakes, still some body work to be done on the doors, and much more Idea
But I am still confident I can do it Laughing
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Your hand must be so painful Florian, even a small burn hurts a lot.

I really hope you can make it, good luck!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

The level of detail blowed my mind!!!
What a great car you've put together, both thumbs are up..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#BenPon show 2018 - Barndoor Gathering nr2 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

#BenPon show 2018 - Barndoor Gathering nr2 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hellberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

incredible, just amazing!
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

good job

now it's Canadian's time? Arrow

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Thanks. It was really rewarding to drive the bus to the BenPon show to kinda "celebrate" the end of the restoration. Well, it's not finished but almost.
I will continue to work on the details to make it even more correct... I will update this thread soon with detailed pictures.

Djoul wrote:
now it's Canadian's time? Arrow

Really could be ! Wink
I don't take any risk saying the next project will have more windows Laughing
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Great to see this bus in person! Very detailed restoration.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
v.a.s.cleaning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

what a bus
its in my top 5 barndoor al time Laughing
66 sundial camper
66 karmann ghia cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Coondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

So cool
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

SO awesome!!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Very great rescue of a barny now I can help you with the burn. Your hand needs flexibility after it’s covering(skin) heals. The Aloe Vera plant is good for this. You can buy the pulp as a remedy. Good luck!
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Well played Florian, you made it and bus looks great. Such a transformation from the bus in the epic rescue! You achieved your target with a schedule that would have challenged many people with two working hands too. Hats off to you!! I'm looking forward to more updates on this bus and following your new project. Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Florian, absolutely stunning from airlift to driver Applause
I hope your hand is better.

j.pickens wrote:

Great to see this bus in person! Very detailed restoration.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Florian,
Great bus. Just awesome! I hope you restore your 52 deluxe the same way. You rescued it from Ontario Canada not far from my home!
Paul
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Another restoration project will start soon, so the 51 is for sale :

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2198473

johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Florian, thats such a cool Bus. Good luck with the sale.
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Hi there,

Did a few before/after pics this morning... Even myself I tend to forget where this bus comes from and this is quite rewarding to see those pics side by side !

It's still for sale BTW.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

That is amazing Florian! Did you blend the paint on the nose or just cut away/polish the rust stains? Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Barndoor from the swamp Reply with quote

Quote:
The ad for Early 1951 Barndoor panel - no rear window ! Price: 27k€ has been deleted.
This typically means the item is sold.

Looks like it may have been sold!
Amazing bus, great story. I hope the new owner drives that MoFo!!!!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: