Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Defroster Risers
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

My 1971 Ghia vert had "fresh air" hose running from the heater channel up to the dash vents.

Is this the original configuration? All the photos I see have steel tubing running vertical.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

Yes, my '71 had the original ribbed paper tubes from the heater channels to the defroster outlets.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

What would one call those two levers that operate the flaps?
I need both of them and none of the keywords I use turn up anything.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

Fresh Air Controls - as defined in the parts manual

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:

Where can I obtain a parts manual ?
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

In the "Technical" Section of this forum.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1972_...201972.pdf

Very Happy

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Under the "Tehnical" tab in The Samba header bar, you'll find a link to "Owner's Manual/Parts Manual".
In the 1957 model year portion of that Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual page, you''l find this link ...

1957 Karmann Ghia Parts Book - PDF

It's probably not for the model year Ghia that you'd prefer, but it's bettern than nothing and many of the parts remain essentially the same.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

Hey No Dents, yes my 71 Vert has the same configuration that Crocteau posted in his pics, mine aren't mounted yet, but I remember them looking the same with the paper tubes. So now I'll use the above pics for my reassembly manual I'm building from all the posts here.

Crocteau, do you have any pics of the hook up at the rear seat area heater outlets? I have the rubber flaps, but don't have whatever part holds them in place, the pin or whatever it's called. Anyone know the name of that part since I need to try and find it?

Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Under the "Tehnical" tab in The Samba header bar, you'll find a link to "Owner's Manual/Parts Manual".
In the 1957 model year portion of that Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual page, you''l find this link ...

It's probably not for the model year Ghia that you'd prefer, but it's bettern than nothing and many of the parts remain essentially the same.

Thanks KGcoupe and no dents

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Crocteau, do you have any pics of the hook up at the rear seat area heater outlets? I have the rubber flaps, but don't have whatever part holds them in place, the pin or whatever it's called. Anyone know the name of that part since I need to try and find it?
That's one part I've not disassembled, but here's a photo posted by sputnick60 that might help you see how it fits together...
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:

Thanks, Jeff

The vertical "pins" are a part of the heater tube and not removable, at least not designed to be removed. Spot welded in place.

BTW: Anyone looking for new rear heater flaps, I found them here:
https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/karmann-ghia/in-...66-0123-30

Not having any luck finding front Fresh Air flaps though (141-255-911B)

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics guys, always helpful. No Dents, you are correct, the pin was in place, I never felt around in there until now, duh!!! Thanks for that, and for the link on new flaps, just in case I want to replace the originals.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Defroster Risers Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Thanks KGcoupe and no dents

I just noticed that at the very bottom of that Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual page, there are also links to PDF versions of a ...
- 1958 Karmann Ghia Parts Book
- 1972 Karmann Ghia Parts Book
- VW Karmann Ghia Parts Book Illustrations

... so apparently parts information is also availabe for the later model year Ghias as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: