Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Repro 55 and earlier horn buttons
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
I bought 2 NOS ones last year for $200 each and bought a really nice one at Kelley Park this year for $160. All these were the later replacement buttons or 54-55 style. The split bug ones are more detailed and those are really hard to find.

It's the Zwitter and early oval buttons that are the detailed ones........the "split" buttons are really plain and simple. Wink

Ahhh, 52 split with split dash would have the detailed button.

Thought you knew. Wink You can buy an NOS button in the box and 6 months after being in the sun, cracks.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
I bought 2 NOS ones last year for $200 each and bought a really nice one at Kelley Park this year for $160. All these were the later replacement buttons or 54-55 style. The split bug ones are more detailed and those are really hard to find.

It's the Zwitter and early oval buttons that are the detailed ones........the "split" buttons are really plain and simple. Wink

Thought you knew. Wink You can buy an NOS button in the box and 6 months after being in the sun, cracks.

What does that mean Confused
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:

No........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=354524

Bob that picture doesn't mean anything, are you sure? I thought the last of the split dash cars had the detailed horn button? Got any proof?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:

No........

Bob that picture doesn't mean anything, are you sure? I thought the last of the split dash cars had the detailed horn button? Got any proof?

How many do you want?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=328203

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=327071

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=226883

Proof.........1952 Owners's Manual page 2 and 9
I have no way of reproducing it here but someone else might. I have no reason to mis-inform you. The '52 spit button was as simple as they come. Wink
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to this button Matt?..........It was hand painted and not VW.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=311052

This in combination with a similar bud vase and ash tray was indeed striking but was not produced by VW. (actually oval era accessory)
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob I would never think you would try and mislead me. For some reason I just thought the last split dash bugs had the Wolfsburg horn button, I could very well be wrong, I just always like proof and pictures of other cars is not it. Does the progressive refinements give a listing for that?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
Bob I would never think you would try and mislead me. For some reason I just thought the last split dash bugs had the Wolfsburg horn button, I could very well be wrong, I just always like proof and pictures of other cars is not it. Does the progressive refinements give a listing for that?

Not that I could find..................but I have an awful time trying to make heads or tails out of that that publication anway. Very Happy
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:

Not that I could find..................but I have an awful time trying to make heads or tails out of that that publication anway. Very Happy

That's because it has no pictures and large print............

Wink Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:
53 0val wrote:
buggen wrote:

No........

How many do you want?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=328203

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=327071

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=226883

Proof.........1952 Owners's Manual page 2 and 9
I have no way of reproducing it here but someone else might. I have no reason to mis-inform you. The '52 spit button was as simple as they come. Wink

Wow, so all this time I was thinking our horn button and housings were only for 49-50? I recall checking this out thoroughly several years ago, so thats new news to me that the castle button/matching housing came along in 53. I'll have to look up in other resources. Either way the later housings appear to be needed somewhat today.

Gary
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Question what color horn button should my Aug of 54 oval have a white one or the brownish colored one,cuz I've seen some with the white and brown ones. Thanks
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasbrown54 wrote:
I have a Question what color horn button should my Aug of 54 oval have a white one or the brownish colored one,cuz I've seen some with the white and brown ones. Thanks

I think white.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:

Wow, so all this time I was thinking our horn button and housings were only for 49-50? I recall checking this out thoroughly several years ago, so thats new news to me that the castle button/matching housing came along in 53. I'll have to look up in other resources. Either way the later housings appear to be needed somewhat today.

Gary

That has always been my understanding. It was part of the dash redesign.
The 9-52 road and track article of a split dash split with 6000 miles on it at the time shows the plain ivory housing and button.

My '50 had a plain ivory housing with the castle button on when I got it. When I opened it up it had obviously be monkeyed with so it wasn't original.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Brezelwerks wrote:

Gary

That has always been my understanding. It was part of the dash redesign.
The 9-52 road and track article of a split dash split with 6000 miles on it at the time shows the plain ivory housing and button.

My '50 had a plain ivory housing with the castle button on when I got it. When I opened it up it had obviously be monkeyed with so it wasn't original.

Just confirmed from a few sources, the cutover to the castle button was indeed 10/52, the dash cutover. Makes sense, will be interesting news also to some other high end splits I know that have the wrong buttons! The wrong assumption I/others had made was that the castle button happened when the hood castle badge was implemented, go figure!
Gary
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Repro 55 and earlier horn buttons Reply with quote

From the Progressive Refinements.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: