Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in first
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

@Joey - Awesome! Yeah, the bus ran perfect until I got into flagstaff az. Really really solid doing 500 miles a day no problem.

@JohnnyRingo - I think I will hang on to the Berg Cool

I jacked it up and everything was working as intended. No issues with the coupler. Berg shift ball is seated correctly on the shift tube. I shift and everything seems to be in order all the way to the transmission. Taking it to Kirkwood VW in the morning to see what he has to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Didn't think you would part with it...keep us posted on what you find out?
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Hopefully will know something tomorrow evening. I will make sure to post the findings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Update.

So, it's not the lockout plate and not the coupler. Those are fine.

Seems to be something in the tranny. For a quick fix... the shop tried to move it into neutral by pulling the fill plug and all that jazz with no avail. So, he is going to pull the engine and tranny and see what's going on hopefully this week as time permits.

Reading http://www.vw-resource.com/transaxle.html#woes seems like that might be the problem. If the back bolt came loose on the shifter, perhaps I pulled the hockey stick too far out while shifter and it's stuck in first with the hockey stick on the outside of the gear selector shafts.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable....hate you gotta drop the tranny though.
Daniel Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Hey all. Following your post. My Buggy is currently stuck in first gear. Looking at the pics that BarryL posted. The second pic showing the fork levers, are these visible on the outside of the trans. I haven't had a chance to get under my ride to have a look. Thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Daniel Fisher wrote:
Hey all. Following your post. My Buggy is currently stuck in first gear. Looking at the pics that BarryL posted. The second pic showing the fork levers, are these visible on the outside of the trans. I haven't had a chance to get under my ride to have a look. Thanks.

No, that is inside the nosecone.

You have to remove the nose cone to see them
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

I’ll get more details later today and post when I know exactly what the issue is and how it happened. Long story short... the shift fork crapped out on me.

Update 2: Not much more to report. The 1-2 shift fork stop functioning. Bummer. Need to rebuilt it.
trøy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Had to get the transmission rebuilt.

Turns out the 1-2 shift fork was broken. This essentially locked the transmission in first gear while still allowing me to shift from my understanding.

Here is the picture of the 1-2 shift fork and the break point:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anywho... got the Bus back and finally cruising around the Bay Area.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in first Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's back on the road!

Shift gently... Razz

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: