Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
As Requested
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213281765778264&id=1220831665

When I click on that link it does not work for me. Maybe post the video on Youtube?
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
As Requested
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213281765778264&id=1220831665

page not working Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Video Link Updated

Hot rods and Heroes Car show in Bastrop, TX. Absolute awesome day yesterday!! A great way to honor all those who have and do serve our country! SemperFi!! Absolute honor to have walked away with Best in Show!! 400+ cars most of them old school rods and customs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Congratulations!
I was at that show last year with my Dove Blue single cab, it's only 20 miles from where I live.
You beat out a lot of first class hot rods.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Video put together by MyPassion a German Vblogger.

Link
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed it earlier in your thread, but where did you source the rocker arms for your pushrod suspension in the rear?
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I'm getting a large amount of questions about HOW the truck cools. This will be rather wordy But I hope it answers a lot of the questions.

When fabricating the back sections of the bed ducting was fabricated in the void in front of the rear wheel arch as seen in the pictures below. A scoop was fabricated on the belly of the truck. This was done on both sides of the truck.

From the photo above you can see one of the two heat exchangers for the intercooler system. This system has a many parts to it. There is sump tank that sits inside the engine bay. This feeds 2 Bosch electric water pumps that push fluid thru the heat exchangers. The fluid then is piped into each intercooler core in the intake manifold or into the turbo housing. Then returns to the sump. The electric pumps are controlled by the ECU. There are two air temp sensors in the intake one infront of the intercoolers and one after. Within the ECU there are maps that operate the drive controllers that control the speed of the water pumps. Each pump at 100% capacity can move 4.8gal per minute. Currently each pump runs at 50% at normal engine temps. There are also safety programed into the ECU, when pump is at 75% the second and third cooling fans are turned on if not already on. At 90% a 5% reduction in timing is initiated, and at 100% the ecu is forced into a limp mode where only 15% throttle is allowed.

The logic behind this system is this. With a liquid to air charge air system the charge air temps should stay plus or minus 5degs of ambient. This also reduces the heat soak the intake would take on from the turbos and engine. By including the turbo cooling in this system it removes this load from the engine cooling system making it more efficient as well.

From the picture above you can see the radiator, heat exchangers and the A/C condenser. The radiator is an aluminum 4 core unit custom made to fit this application Surface area is 432Sq inch. Once the covers are in place it creates a duct. There are 3 1100CFM puller fans, each controlled individually by the ECU. Again there are safety measure in the ECU to pull timing when temp thresholds are reached. A limp mode is initiated when engine water temps rise above 240deg.

The ECU has data logging, some of the parameters that I watch closely are engine water temp, charge air temp and intercooler fluid temp. With several sessions on the dyno and 3 hours of stop, go, off and on in Las Vegas at SEMA. The highest engine water temps recorded were 228deg and highest charge air temp of 105deg. I would say for now this is a successful system. I'm interested to see how the Texas summer temps reflect in this data.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Sorry if I missed it earlier in your thread, but where did you source the rocker arms for your pushrod suspension in the rear?

I started with a shock arm from a Honda Motorcycle. It didn't have quite the correct ratio so I had new ones machined from billet. These new ones utilize the pivot bearing from the Honda unit.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
Busstom wrote:

I started with a shock arm from a Honda Motorcycle. It didn't have quite the correct ratio so I had new ones machined from billet. These new ones utilize the pivot bearing from the Honda unit.

Copy. Thanks!
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Beautiful engineering, congrats!!

I went the Subie route as well.... just went directly to an STI though Cool
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

SC has been getting out and about. SO glad the show season is getting going.

Feb 2nd Gonzales, TX-HotRods and Hatters
Feb 24th Conroe, TX-Lone Star Throw Down
March 8th-10th Dallas, TX-Goodguys

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

What happened to the front latches on the sidegates? Dont see them. Awesome truck
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
What happened to the front latches on the sidegates? Dont see them. Awesome truck

Chris the side gates are fixed with a tab on the inside of the bed. I went this route to keep the gate from moving around during driving and transport. Factory latch allows the gate to flex. This also ties the gate into the structure of the truck helping stiffen up the truck..

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

pm sent to you about the Gonzales show.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Wont be at the Gonzales show. Broke an output shaft on the transmission on the way home from another car show a week ago. Parts are coming from the UK to fix and haven't come in yet.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Car show a few weeks ago...

But just as I hit the driveway I hear a loud bang and no forward or reverse movement..

Surprising this is not the transmissions or engines fault.. When I had the CVs made the shop told me that that style of shaft and CV needed BOTH ends to float. This was INCORRECT. So the cause behind this was when the axle loaded up to go in the driveway it extended into the CV flange cup and bound against the output shaft. Thus snapping the output shaft. Easy fix on the CV shafts but the transmission has to come out of the truck and come completely apart. The CV shafts will get C clip slots machined on them and now the shaft will be fixed at the inboard CV. Also a new Sun gear in the differential.

Originally I used a Phase1 Subaru gearbox from a Legacy GTB Twin turbo. It was found to have the strongest input shaft of the NON STI gear boxes. However when converting to FWD you remove the center diff that pushes power to the rear wheels in the factory installation. This diff has the oil pump located on its input side. Once removed the only oil action comes from the ring gear slinging it. Eventually the rear bearings would see very little oil and seize. So as a part of this repair I am upgrading to a Phase2 STI gearbox that has the oil pump on 5th gear. I have also decided to change the gear ratio slightly. 1st and 2nd gear were so short and close together I was starting the truck out in 2nd gear just to get the turbos to spool up.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Out of all the crazy stuff going on here...I have to ask about the wiper arm linkage / assembly. Laughing

I'm interested.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

i myself always liked the old benz wiper arms that had the same action except they rested flat on top of each other.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Out of all the crazy stuff going on here...I have to ask about the wiper arm linkage / assembly. Laughing

I'm interested.

Pantograph wiper setup for Marine Use. It takes two separate motors, an electronic controller and custom wiper arms. You can buy the wiper arms but even the shortest ones are about 2" to long for our windows. To think I almost didn't put them on. It was a last minute deal a day before I left for SEMA. Those and paint color are the most asked questions.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
Culito wrote:

I'm interested.

Pantograph wiper setup for Marine Use. It takes two separate motors, an electronic controller and custom wiper arms. You can buy the wiper arms but even the shortest ones are about 2" to long for our windows. To think I almost didn't put them on. It was a last minute deal a day before I left for SEMA. Those and paint color are the most asked questions.

Thanks. they look friggin' sweet.
I started shopping as soon as I saw them, and did find some marine pantograph arms. I'm temped to make some linkage to make a single motor work and see if I can fit some without drilling any extra holes.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: