Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vw sandrail front brakes?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Hey guys I’m new to the vw world. This summer I picked up a vw bug and a street legal~ish sand rail. The rail has no front brakes, just wheels on spindles. I’ve called some distributors and sent pics like I was asked but can’t seem to get a response. I don’t know what exactly it is I have or what I need to put some front brakes on this thing so I can pass inspection. I hope someone here can shed some light on this and point me in the right direction. I’m also not sure if the brake master I have will still work or not. Help me out of you can, thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Looks like a modified link pin front axle. One thing you could do is simply go with a link pin disc brake kit. That means different wheels too. If you want drum brakes it may be better to find another axle for all the brake parts but you still could find all aftermarket stuff as well. Maybe someone will chime in that wants your spindle mount wheels in trade for brake parts.
I can't tell too much about your spindles other than they are modified. Master cylinder should be dual circuit instead of single.

Last edited by vaughn bros. on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Hey man I really appreciate the info, I now know more about it than I did before. I just assume front discs so I’ll hafta see what I can find
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

I can't see your spindles in detail so I'm partly just guessing. The link pin carriers look stock of course but the actual spindle and steering arms may be home built/modified. Whenever there is a rack & pinion steering assy , all bets are off. Also the aluminum tie rods are a home built giveaway. Looks like your chassis can still be removed from the axle (not welded to axle) so you may be better off with a completely different front beam. Your trailing arms obviously are modified too.
Your buggy is purposely built as off road so just changing back may be a small challenge.
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator. He’s coming to check this thing out. I see online they make brake kits that have a bracket that bolts to the spindle. My spindles have 3 threaded holes which look like they match up with those bolt holes in the brackets. I can always have him make brackets also since he has a cutting table and can make anything. I’m hoping I can just simply do something like that, like a bolt on brake kit and get a different pedal kit with dual port, I found them online already. I appreciate your info
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2986.html

Just something cheap like this...if this could work
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Your rear wheels appear to be wide 5 lug.
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Any idea what those front spindles are from?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

RustBugeTT wrote:
Any idea what those front spindles are from?

Look like stock kingpin spindles with all the guts removed.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

I can see them now. Looks like stock link pin spindles and reinforced trailing arms. Nothing really unusual.
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Ok so a disc brake kit should not be a big deal to install then? I can have brackets fabbed up if need be. Any particular year range of kit I should look at?
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the help, I’ll update how it goes when I get some parts in
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

Link pin disc brake kit will have the correct brackets included.
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

I was told I can use a single port master if I run a T in the line and a residual pressure valve on the rear brakes and a proportioning valve for the front.

What yas think? This sound right? Through research I see a 10lb valve for rear drums in recommended.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

ALWAYS run a dual master cylinder. Buggies without brakes are not much fun. Dual Master cylinders are less than $50 for the added reliability.
RustBugeTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

I got the EMPI disc brake kit and it went on no problem. What I noticed are my link pins and king pins are pretty beat. I’m assuming I have type 1, pre 1965 front spindles? I’m going to order the parts and do it myself. Also, is an 18mm reamer the correct size for the bushings?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vw sandrail front brakes? Reply with quote

The link pins bushing don't need reaming, the kin pins are much smaller than 18mm. Did you order a dual circuit master and a proportioning valve to put on the front brakes. Your front end is very light and will lock up super quick if you don't choke the brakes down a bunch, even on my fiberglass buggy I run the valve fully closed.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: