Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Hey guys, quick question about the valves in my stock (December of 1959 build) 36 hp. When I rebuilt my engine awhile back, I had to replace my valves and valve guides with new ones which I ordered from Wolfsburg West (my heads still had the cast iron guides, which perhaps were the originals?) I also had the machine shop do a three angle valve seat grind at the same time. Here's my dilemma. I've adjusted my valves four separate times as of tonight (total miles since overhaul, about 5,000) and the first two and now the fourth time I've adjusted them I've found the exhaust valves about .002 thousands too tight. The third time I had adjusted them they were ok. Also my intakes were tight the first two times, but they have been spot on the third and fourth times (break-in period maybe?). Is this normal for new valves? Have any of you guys had any issues with WW valves (poor quality, cheap materials, failure, etc) Any feedback from others who have/are running these valves would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Had issues when we rebuilt our motor. We replaced all the valves and and guides with ones from WW and had two exhaust valves seize in the guides as they bent.
The guides were reamed for the valves as well as being well lubed with graphite. Was only the exhaust valves though. No issues with inlet valves which were treated the same. got some NOS valves in the end and they were fine.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

I only have experience with their Okrasa valves which are made of a different material and have had no issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I should also clarify, when I mean .002" tight, they are actually being held open about .002". I adjust my valves to .005" stone cold so that would be a total of .007" stretch per time times three so a total of .021" stretch/wear?! Scary!!!I had someone today tell me that a three angle valve grind usually has to wear in some, I don't know if he's correct about that or not, but either way .021" is excessive in my opinion. I believe I'll go ahead and source some NOS ones or go ahead and really start saving hard for some okrasa dual port heads (I'd love to build a small speed engine for my car, I'd keep it mild though). In the meantime I'm gonna keep checking my valves and compression about every 1000 miles and watch everything really closely. Thanks again!

Snort wrote:
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Bug-Nut, you running some sort of "lead" additive in your fuel? Did you update the valve seats to stelite?

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

If your car is a '59, why is this in the '53-'57 section?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

A lot has to do with how good the valve job was. If the seats had chatter marks or roughness then it could take a bit for the valves to seat. or if the 45* angle was cut too thin it might take a bit, but I would watch it closely. Usually after a couple valve adjustments it takes a set.

brad
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

If it was mine, I wouldn't worry about. The valves are still seating in. I've read from some motor experts that some valves can take 20k miles for the adjustments to settle in.

My bus engine has three exhaust valves tightening at each adjustment. It has around 15k miles on it. I'm just monitoring it closely. If at 20k they are still tightening at each adjustment, I may start to figure a plan b is needed.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Probably because this forum has more users running 36hp engines and shopping at WW

Most 58-64 users are running late model engines with larger displacements

scottyrocks wrote:
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

I keep an eye out here for 36 hp discussions, as that does not happen much in the 58 up side of life.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Simple. Because this is the forum with the most 36 hp knowledge.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

As your valves and seats wear the valve adjustment will tighten up because the valve stem will stick out further.

How are you adjusting your valves? Feeler gage or a dial indicator? Depending on what method and how good you are at it, that could account for your discrepancy.

The tip of the adjuster screw is supposed to be offset from the center of the valve stem so this will cause the valve to rotate slightly each time it is opened. This will help even the wear of the valve and seat. The tip of the valve stem will also wear over time but at a much slower rate.

I would check that they tips of the valve adjuster screws are in good shape and offset from the centerline of the stem. The tips of the adjustment screws should have a slight curve to them and be shiny with no rough spots.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Because I have a 36hp engine, I've found I get a lot more help posting engine and transaxle related questions here than in the 58-67 section.

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Snort wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
As your valves and seats wear the valve adjustment will tighten up because the valve stem will stick out further.

How are you adjusting your valves? Feeler gage or a dial indicator? Depending on what method and how good you are at it, that could account for your discrepancy.

The tip of the adjuster screw is supposed to be offset from the center of the valve stem so this will cause the valve to rotate slightly each time it is opened. This will help even the wear of the valve and seat. The tip of the valve stem will also wear over time but at a much slower rate.

I would check that they tips of the valve adjuster screws are in good shape and offset from the centerline of the stem. The tips of the adjustment screws should have a slight curve to them and be shiny with no rough spots.

Thanks for the info! I use a feeler gauge on my valves, also yes my adjuster screws are offset slightly, however I will confess the tips have some wear to them. When I rebuilt my engine I bought new adjusters from Mid America Motorworks (bad, bad idea) they were utter garbage and the tips mushroomed within 500 miles. I threw them in the trash and reinstalled the originals. I'll take your advice and search down a set of original VW made ones and install them, and see what happens. Thanks! Very Happy

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad valves? Impending doom and disaster? Reply with quote

Hey guys, thought I’d put a little update in here to help anyone in the future who stumbles across this thread. So turns out it wasn’t valve stretch, instead it was a bad case of VSR, aka valve seat recession. Yikes! So now I’m in the process of getting my seats replaced. Hopefully all turns out ok...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Snort wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: