Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have i got here.,,
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

So i bought this Thing from a niece that was selling it for her uncle. The most she knew was its color... It has dual carbs and i did get it running but now it is filling the left side exhaust with fuel. That being said i found the exhaust leak. There are no markings on these carbs and i don't want to taken them off without knowing if i can find the gaskets for them. Does anyone know what these are? Second question is this an alternator? I know amature question. I have a beetle and a squareback both with generators and they dont look like this. If it is alternator will the generator light stay on? Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

liawoft wrote:
So i bought this Thing from a niece that was selling it for her uncle.

Wouldn't that make him your brother?

The carbs are Kadrons.

The distributor is a 009.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

A niece not my niece. Thanks for the quick reply. What about the generator? Any clue.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

liawoft wrote:
A niece not my niece. Thanks for the quick reply. What about the generator? Any clue.

It's a AL82 Alternator, not a generator.

The fan shroud is aftermarket, so you can't assume the engine is still a 1600cc. it could be larger.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

I think it is a 1641, but who knows. I'm going to throw some plugs and wires on it and a new coil. The cap and rotor look new. I am hoping this solves my issue with fuel. If it does not are these carbs worth fooling with or do I throw a single progressive on there?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

Yes, fix them.

Single progressive is crap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

rebuild kit is ordered. After taking the air cleaner off its clear to see the float is stuck, gas is just pouring in.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

god luck with the Thing, they are so much fun to cruise in,but do require frequent tweaking,I like the color, what does the interior look like?
Im getting ready to have mine painted back to its original Orange.I think it will look better and have better value when the time comes to sell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

I think everyone loves the color, but me. I am thinking about color change when getting it painted. The inside is what I am working on now. Someone painted the inside with the "stone look" paint. I am sure it looked fine when it was first done but it has to be redone. I am not sure what I want to do yet. I am thinking a dark gray or body color.
I painted behind the seat pad with cheap black paint to see how it look. All back inside would be to much.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What have i got here.,, Reply with quote

I couldn't decide on color when I did mine, but didn't want white. And gray hides a lot-so I splattered it.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: