Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spending Holidays alone
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Dude, be thankful for the peace and quiet!

That is what I'm talking about. People wonder why I like taking my boat out on the ocean solo. Peace is Great !
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

It seems to me that you need to redefine what you believe to be "family".

My Daughter lives in Montana, 2,000 miles away from us.
She had 16 people over for Thanksgiving, all people in the same town who live far from or don't have blood relatives nearby. Married, singles and kids.

If someone didn't want you to come over, they wouldn't ask you to do so.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

DAve.... I am trying to understand you being alone by choice or you are just hard to get along with? You have family but do not talk to them? Well, don't you want be around your nieces or nephews, spoil them a bit? Cousins?

Whatever it is going on with you and your brother/s, I am sure it is something that can be fixed.

I know someone here on Samba and both brothers deal w/ VW parts -- hate each other to the core. I deal with one as he is nice, but the other is just an ass.

I also know someone who lives alone, got all the toys and machine tools, big garage, trucks, bikes..you name it he got it - but this fool is one sorry ass for companionship. There is more to life than things or money.

I have thought many times of going away just to have some peace for myself ---deep in the woods, cabin, shoot my meats and things and only emerge when i want to... but oh the thought of me not being a part of my family and the younger ones -nieces/nephews, my brothers/sisters, I don't care for my cousins on the mother side ..LOL>

But at some point, we ALL will need something from someone. I knew a guy dropped dead in his own garage, took days for anyone to find him he was dead. God put us here to be with others.

Maybe go to church, Dave. Take time to talk to people. It is good for the soul.

Or maybe you need to go on a good hunt. Or maybe pick up reloading?
LOL. I enjoy cleaning brass and loading my match ammo. Nothing like peace by myself in the garage, cleaning my M14 match rifle or AR15s getting them all ready for the range.

Maybe a new hobby?

take care man...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

Do you have a dog? Dogs are great friends, conversation starters and chicks dig dogs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
there’s always someone that will want to talk to you about it & if they really dig it, offer to take them for a ride.

You would be surprised how many people are scared to ride in my Dunebuggy.

That could be fun too! I had a friend with a 12 second street bug and I scared the hell out of him in my 1914cc Buggy!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

I was single and blissfully alone for many years.
I moved to California 34 years ago, and began my blissfully alone stage.
You will know when you have completed your blissfully alone stage when & if it happens.
I've known more than a few people that didn't value themselves unless they were in a relationship.
I never felt that way, and I enjoyed being by myself.
As you know there is a big difference between being alone, and being lonely.
One of my best Thanksgivings, I drove to Freeport Maine, from Western N.Y. State,
I woke up at 1 AM, had a Chicken Sandwich at 7-11, and drove over to LL Bean Store, shopped till 4:30 AM.
I did a lot sight seeing that trip, had a great time!
I hope you have a good Holiday Season.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

I've ended up alone over the holidays the last 3 years, and it has been an adjustment ( friends move away, you start to outlive many people you have known for decades, no kids). I have a great cat and plants. I have noticed an equal pull of wanting some company and not really having the social energy to engage contact. Its more than "something is missing", perhaps I'm missing something in a larger picture. I did go the local free homeless meal in my town this year and felt a bit better about the whole situation.

I'm starting to understand why many elderly end up alone...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

Quote:
But we still have boobies.

Racerdave quote From another thread Razz
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Spending Holidays alone Reply with quote

I have to live in the woods to be completely alone. And I am working on getting there sooner than later.

I like the idea of not having to get up for anyone but myself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: