Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailing arm washer
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

I think I know the answer to my question. But. I removed the trailing arms and on the drivers side there were two washers. The passenger side had three. One on the inside and two on the outside.

So does it need three? Do I add a third to the other side? Both sides were fairly loose.

I have the new bushings installed and was planning on installing them today.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

My 70 only has two on each side. Towards the outside.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

A 'Bentley' drawing...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

All of my IRS T1s have 2 washers on outside.

bnc
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

That’s what I did. Two washers on the outside. I have a suspicion that the previous owner put in a third washer instead of replacing the bushings.

Thank you for your reply’s.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

I was under my new to me '71 and found that the PO only installed 1 washer and the bolts were loose. Really loose....actually scary loose....

Will I be able to R & R the bolt (washers are ordered) without removing the trailing arm from the spring plate? I will peen the bolt when I re-install it. What is the hole in the bolt for? Is it for securing the bolt somehow?

Olli
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

Quote:
I will peen the bolt when I re-install it .... Is it for securing the bolt somehow?

Peening the 'collar' into the grooves of the bolt is what secures it. The hole??
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

Here is a link that shows a pivot bolt with the hole through the bolt head. The product description explains its use for safety wire installation.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/IRS-Diagonal-Arm-Pivot-Bolt-and-Washers-113501535A-p/113-501-535a.htm

Olli
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

I replaced the bolts (with the oem style, grooves on the head) and installed 2 washers per side. Peened the coller into the grooves. I also applied some "tamper lacquer" so I can see at a glance if the bolt moves. Cracked lacquer means it moved.

Olli
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

When I put both washers on the outside I get a gap on the inside because the nut on the frame protrudes out. The inner rubber bushing has nothing to push up against.

I note that the 2 washers fit nicely on the inner as they slip over the protruding nut. Seems 2 inner and 2 outer would be best.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

from the Bently. Why they show the 'wrong way' too, I don't know

jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

looking more closely at your picture I have not tighten the pivot bolt enough. Certainly felt tight. I assumed the pivot bolt HAD seated against the frame nut.

My bushing metal insert has not slipped over the frame nut, which is why my pivot bolt wont turn more. Maybe the POR 15 frame paint I applied is too thick there?

Will let all know
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

Quote:
assumed the pivot bolt HAD seated against the frame nut.

Even when tight it doesn't. When I do mine I lightly grease both sides of bushings and washers
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm washer Reply with quote

I DIDNT TIGHTEN IT ENOUGH!

ALL GOOD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: