Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out Reply with quote

Help! I've emailed Jim but thought I'd post here too.

I have a Bostig 2.0 dating from quite a while ago. Last night the ECU box fell out of the recess in the left rear corner of the engine compartment. On the freeway. The box touched the ground, latches broke, box opened. Seems okay except I may (?) be missing a relay. May have gotten a little wet inside as it was raining, but not obviously wet. The long gray cable to the fuel pump got wrapped around a half shaft. The connectors at the fuel pump pulled off. The cable was ripped out of the wiring harness. I found where the black wire was separated. I can't figure out where the red wire got separated. I've unscrunched the wiring harness and don't see other obvious damage. The van stopped running and wouldn't restart although starter was turning engine over.

I'll attach photos. Can you tell me how to fix this? I need to get the van running to pick up my daughter from school tomorrow Sad Also, anyone know if Bostig still sell this ECU box?

ECU box. Missing relay? Are fuses missing? Box got dragged on the freeway and opened up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cable to fuel pump somehow got wrapped around halfshaft. Connectors to fuel pump pulled out. Cable got ripped out of wiring harness.

Wiring harness after I unscrunched it. I think that is where the black wire to fuel pump was separated. I cannot figure out where the red wire was separated. The remaining piece of the red wire is longer than the remaining black wire, could possibly reach to inside ECU box

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for your troubles.

I have a old Bostig ECU box that I should be able to take some pictures of later today. It is disconnected from the vehicle but all the internal connections are still intact. I'll have to dig it out of deep storage, but won't be able to look for it until later today.
One thing I can see right away is you seem to be missing the key which has the enabler code. Without it the ECU thinks you're trying to steal the car. This may present a problem, but Jim may have a work around. Hopefully he will answer your email soon.

Did you start a ticket on the Bostig site? This is the best way to get Jims attention.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out Reply with quote

I'm in touch with Jim. Bostig support is nothing short of incredible. Which is one really big reason to go Bostig; Jim always has your back.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what wires got ripped out and puzzling over the wiring diagram, but I'm grateful for the help from you, this forum, and Bostig.

P.S. This appears to be entirely installer error (me) as the gray fuel pump cable should have been secured. The halfshafts have been disconnected 3X since I installed the kit so maybe something happened on one of those occasions.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out Reply with quote

OK, so it looks like mine is a bit different. Your's does not seem to even have the anti-theft key holder so it must have been eliminated in later versions. (Mine is from '09 so these pictures may not be much help)

I would say that the heavy red wire is your main power source which should be connected inside the relay box on the left forward firewall. (mine looks orange)
The Black wire is most likely a ground, look for the other end still attached to the engine bay.

I took some of these picture while I was removing the old ECU setup from the engine compartment to be replaced with the latest wiring loom with the ECU under the rear seat.
As you can see I have a complete harness if you're interested.($)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Bostig 2.0. ECU box fell out, fuel pump cable ripped out Reply with quote

Van is running again. Sort of jerry rigged but should allow me to bring daughter back from school tomorrow (200 mile RT). Ordering replacement parts from Bostig. Thanks so much to MsTaboo on this forum and to Jim who walked me through what to do.

MsTaboo, sending you a PM late tonight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: