Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Heya everyone! I've got yet another Square today. I got him for a pretty good deal, what I think is definitely fair, and he seems to be in very good condition He's got 97K on the ODO which I beleive could very well be true, with the FI and trans still being in the car, plus the floor pan looking supreme and not replaced by the looks. He's even still got the cover for the fusebox!

This is "Otto", an 11/70 '71 Automatic. He's got a few new parts, the dynomat has all been done already and a new carpet kit has been mostly installed. He came with what seems to be original to the car, a Saphire XV radio, the late model mount for it, antenna, bumpers with over riders (unfortunately missing one and another one is pretty rotted, other two look good), rest of the carpet kit, 3 extra work manuals (one Haynes one Offical VW Manual), Saphire XV + mount, modern stereo, modern foglights in box, speaker panels for the front if I wanted em, early model seat trim for some reason, the original jack and a spare tire up front.

The back seat looks to either be in immaculate condition metal-wise or has been done up a bit, the headliner is very nice with only one or two rips. The seats are nice but have been reupholstered at some point, then hurt again by the seatbelts. Like I said, new carpet kit, just needs the two pieces that don't get glued in put in place. The motor cover also still has the cardboard cover on it, and the foil underneath is in great shape with no tears.

Everything also works PERFECT so far, besides not starting yet and the ignition needing to be shaken a bit for it to work. The doors, hatch, hood, and even gas lid all open and close flawlessly. The hood release actually works, the frunk padding is still there, everything is just wonderful on him. The rear fender has been replaced with a blue one at some point, likely rot or dent related, which I actually quite like. It gives him extra character. I love how he's stanced, the black rims, the t ucked exhaust, everything just looks awesome about him. If it didn't involve making more holes, I'd want to get one of the smaller dealer roof racks, as I think it would fit his style better than a gutter-mount, but I don't want to put holes in him.

Enjoy, y'all! I'll have more in-depth photos later tomorrow after work. Very excited to get him running, titled, and registered!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

So on the fuel line, as Mike knows from Facebook, he had a carbeurator-esc fuel pressure regulator on the line, a simple turn dial 1-6psi. I've taken it off and run straight to the injectors as per normal. I also replaced the electronic ignition with standard points as. I'm not sure if the electronics are good, bad, old, new, etc. Hopefully we get him going with minor work! Need to test that auto trans!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Use a 17mm allen head socket to check/fill the 80-90 weight gear oil in the transaxle. It's separate from the ATF.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Way down on the list of stuff to do, I agree, but your generator brush(es) look flush with the slot they go in. Pretty soon the generator will stop charging as the brushes no longer are spring loaded against the commutator.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Way down on the list of stuff to do, I agree, but your generator brush(es) look flush with the slot they go in. Pretty soon the generator will stop charging as the brushes no longer are spring loaded against the commutator.

I'll have a look at it, and as suggested the trans fluids. The ATF is full, I did check that.

What's pretty neat is the generator actually has a Bosch Re-manufactured sticker on it, and the distributor is also original Bosch. Even the spark plug wires, as you can see, are the Type3 angled ones. Perhaps not original ones, but nice to see that they took the time to get Type 3 ones if they were replaced. The whole motor retains a lot of original look to it. The plug wire clips are all in nice condition and work well, even. I really love this car.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Definitely a fuel issue. Checked the plug after cranking and nothing. Put a little gas in via the throttle after taking off the air cleaner and got it to pop pop a little.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Also - the seat on it IS the correct seat for some reason! I should hopefully be able to install my Huls hinges. How do you get the C shaped pins out of the seat hinges? The 70 I took the Huls out of had solid pins, not C shaped.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Asked the PO who put the fuel pump up front - he says it's about a 10PSI pump, so that's definitely an issue in and of itself. Mike, if you've got one I might need to make a run down to you soon, haha.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Did you ever buy/setup a fuel pressure gauge or are you still just guessing? I have a couple stock fuel pumps, but I couldn't guarantee that they work. Better buy a new fuel pump made for an '85 Ford Ranger pickup like everybody is using these days on their fuel injected Type 3's.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Did you ever buy/setup a fuel pressure gauge or are you still just guessing? I have a couple stock fuel pumps, but I couldn't guarantee that they work. Better buy a new fuel pump made for an '85 Ford Ranger pickup like everybody is using these days on their fuel injected Type 3's.

The e2000 correct? I had just seen about that today. I haven't yet, money's a little bit tight with bills coming up, but as soon as I know what I can spend the plan is one of those and the new pump. Might need a regulator too, not sure if he got rid of the one on it or not.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

So! Sorry for the long abscence but I've had a lot going on. I've sold the 68 bus for a 66 bug, worked on that, a buddy is borrowing it and working on it for me as his car was wrecked recently, and now I've got time to work on Otto to lend to him instead of the bug. He runs and drives is the good news! I've slapped in the e2000 and still the fuel reg off Blue for a test / work on period, as Blue is way on the back burner as he likely needs a whole rebuild to be safe.

Anyways! The trans shifts, both in "manual" automatic shifting, and in drive automatic shifting. Reverse works even. However when I first got him running it was kind of a strange thing, it would idle great but any throttle and it would rev, almost die, then rev again, and do it until I let go. I let the car run for a while and adjusted the timing just a bit and it runs much better, but on the test drive around the block to get gas I had it die several times on me, like it would either stop getting / get too much fuel. I need to look into it further, still, but it's great knowing it runs! I'm so excited, even if I'll be sending it out as soon as it drives right. The brakes are highly responsive, electronics work, muffler sounds wonderful. Truely a great car! I'll keep y'all updated as we go along.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Good that it runs/shifts! Post your running/idling problem in the:
Fuel Injection relief here! Sticky topic above. ^^^
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Good that it runs/shifts! Post your running/idling problem in the:
Fuel Injection relief here! Sticky topic above. ^^^

Will do! First I'm going to tune up the rest of it. Just need the rain to stop for an hour or two. Been pouring up here in Hubbard! I think the valves need adjusted, and some other stuff. Another major problem: WATER! With all the rain, it's leaking somewhere bad and there's a ton of water in the floorboards! I gotta find where it's coming from and fix it as soon as possible.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Is it leaking just sitting there, or from driving?

Sitting: Windshields and door scrapers will put a lot of water in the car, especially if door drains are clogged. And of course the dash vents; you might want to cover/tape those inlets below the windshield for now. At least make sure the two drain hoses are free-flowing (inside the car below the big black plastic airbox.

Driving: Front fender seals below A-pillar, and missing speedo or antenna wire grommets are common.

Also, try this publication:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vw_1500_water_leaks.php

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Sitting: Windshields and door scrapers will put a lot of water in the car, especially if door drains are clogged. And of course the dash vents; you might want to cover/taper those inlets below the windshield for now. At least make sure the two drain hoses are free-flowing (inside the car below the big black plastic airbox.

Driving: Front fender seals below A-pillar, and missing speedo or antenna wire grommets are common.

Thank you! I'll check the door drains for sure as I haven't yet, and I have a feeling it very well may be the inlets as the water is mostly up in the front footwells.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Sitting: Windshields and door scrapers will put a lot of water in the car, especially if door drains are clogged. And of course the dash vents; you might want to cover/taper those inlets below the windshield for now. At least make sure the two drain hoses are free-flowing (inside the car below the big black plastic airbox.

Thank you! I'll check the door drains for sure as I haven't yet, and I have a feeling it very well may be the inlets as the water is mostly up in the front footwells.

Yup, water in the front part of the foot wells is coming in thru the fresh air vents in front of the windshield. Another spot is from around the windshield seal, and it dumping inside at the paint drain holes in the corners. The left side WILL drip onto the fuse box.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like the fresh air area. I can hear it in there if I move the car around! Shocked either way, I've got news on driving. I can get it to idle fine, and it'll re. In neutral, but as soon as it's time to drive it'll drive a few feet at a good rpm, then if I'm giving it any pressure on the gas pedal it tries to quit on me. But if I let go of the pedal in drive, it'll shuffle around like an old man no problems. Even the slightest hint of pressure on the pedal makes it try to quit. I'm going to post this in the sticky as well, but I figured I'd update y'all!

Edit: Seemingly no vacuum leaks, sprayed the starter fluid every area I could find to look for vacuums and nothing. Did the pipe trick and didn't hear anything, but thought I could hear kind of a "ticking" from the left side of the motor when running? I could be crazy.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Noticed today the fuel filter was placed in front of the pump, confirmed in the FI Help sticky to be incorrect. Wish I would have noticed when I changed the pump! Doh! I'll get that fixed tomorrow. Might as well replace the filter anyways. After that it should go!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed today the fuel filter was placed in front of the pump, confirmed in the FI Help sticky to be incorrect. Wish I would have noticed when I changed the pump! Doh! I'll get that fixed tomorrow. Might as well replace the filter anyways. After that it should go!

Before you take it apart, double check it. The feed line from the fuel tank goes to the fuel filter, then to the fuel pump. This is to provide filtered fuel to the pump.
Have a look at this thread, and double check your plumbing against it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488576
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Before you take it apart, double check it. The feed line from the fuel tank goes to the fuel filter, then to the fuel pump. This is to provide filtered fuel to the pump.
Have a look at this thread, and double check your plumbing against it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488576

It was definitely wrong and is now corrected. Helped quite a bit but still won't drive far without dying eventually. Going to check pressure sensors and other items tomorrow. Been reading "69 fi squareback misadventures" and some of the parts on phone 4 and 5 sound like good things for me to check.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: