Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Workshop lifting beam plan
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

My workshop has 6x2 joists running along length ways. I want to convert one of these joists into a lifting beam for a set of blocks. But I want a trolley, idea being it will allow forward and back movement for things like engines etc. I highly doubt it will ever be used to lift anything heavier than .5t so want it rating at atleast 1t really. My shop is 6m x6m double garage, so I don’t really want to have to put in a 6m I beam from front to back.

This is my idea, bolt on these 100x 50 Angles using 2 bolts that will go through the joist and clamp against each other pulling into the joist. I was planning on using m24 bolts. My idea being if the trolley is moved to either end it will still have a shear strength high enough not to break.

Please let me know your thoughts as I do not know wood, strength weakening etc. Or even strength to start with.

Failing this I will continue to Chuck a sling around the main joist above these ones but thought it would be so useful to have a trolley.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

2x6 18 ft (6M) span is already undersized

With your ceiling load above you must have some signifigant deflection at present.

If you can find a way to truss it to the roof above it may work.

Instead of an ibeam , look at LVL's , engineered lumber.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

That's obviously an older structure due to the fact that modern 2x6s don't measure a true 2" or 6", nor would using them as joists over that span meet any modern build codes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
2x6 18 ft (6M) span is already undersized

With your ceiling load above you must have some signifigant deflection at present.

If you can find a way to truss it to the roof above it may work.

Instead of an ibeam , look at LVL's , engineered lumber.

Completely agree, there is some serious deflection in those 2x6 already with that span and weight above with no truss work from the upper string of the rafter to the lower string. Putting additional variable load on those is asking for collapse. Run a string line to determine the current deflection.

If you want to put a load on them you need to add supports (trusses at angles to make triangles). Or you can marriage some LVL's to the 2x6s to get some load capacity, at least 2 probably 4. But marrying LVLs to the 2x6 will require you to take the deflection out of the 2x6 whihch can be a bear because those 2x6's have been deflected for some time and now have that memory built in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

A few things to consider:
First, what's above the joists, how much weight? It looks like storage space.
Two, I agree that there's some sag, but they look healthy and they're not at any risk of collapse right now. So pull a string alongside them, from plate to plate, and assess the sag. 13 to 19 mm would be expected.
Three, if you've got the space and access above them, here's what I would do: in the general region where you want to hoist, run a strongback or two across those joists, perpendicular to them, from top plate to top plate (that means span the strongback(s) from one wall all the way to the other). They should be rated for the span, and like was mentioned already, an LVL beam of suitable size would be a good choice. You'll need to add blocks between the strongbacks and the top plates, and if the blocks don't rest above or very-near a wall stud, ADD wall studs under the strongbacks/blocks. Then, depending on how much sag you have, you would then "suck" the joists and strongbacks together with a Pony pipe clamp, and fasten them together with Simpson StrongTie fasteners.
Four: there are limits to the size of holes you're allowed to punch in joists, and their proximity to the edges..look them up via Google, this stuff is widely available, as are allowable joist spans and loads for species of wood. But your 25mm bolts through the joists are overkill, unnecessarily large. Metric equivalent of 1/2" bolts will be fine.

You know as much to call those sticks "joists," so you may understand what I'm describing here. But if you don't have the knowledge or skills, probably best left alone. But to my point: if you support the area where you want to set up your trolly, and transfer that load to the adjacent joists using strongbacks, you'll be fine. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do anything other than hang your trolley rails, then do so, and when it's time to do lifts, prop some vertical supports between the shop floor and the bottom of the joists to support them, then just remove them when you're done. Think lally columns.
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

Legally by code you are only allowed to a drill hole within 3' of a wall.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

You could build one of the joists into composite beam by adding full length steel angles to the bottom and the top, so then no worries about the trolly falling off those little short angles you have.
What use is a trolley if you can only slide it a few feet?
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
And even at that, it is not recommended.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
PD41 wrote:
And even at that, it is not recommended.

I wish someone would explain that to electricians and plumbers doing retrofit work in NYC. I have seen bathtubs resting on joists that are effectively swiss cheese.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

You might get away with sistering the whole span of the current joists, then reinforce with a steel plate, too, then fit your rails. I'd add cross-bracing between the existing joists, too.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

Harbor Freight has a coupon I think for their 1 ton engine hoist for $99. Something that I bought a couple years ago for one project and I end up using the hell out of it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Harbor Freight has a coupon I think for their 1 ton engine hoist for $99. Something that I bought a couple years ago for one project and I end up using the hell out of it.

I'm a huge fan of the engine hoist. I always use it for putting engines on the stand, but storage is the biggest pain of it, I can't spare the space in my 2-car garage. So I remove the hydraulic jack from it to store indoors, and roll the frame outside.
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
A few things to consider:
First, what's above the joists, how much weight? It looks like storage space.
Two, I agree that there's some sag, but they look healthy and they're not at any risk of collapse right now. So pull a string alongside them, from plate to plate, and assess the sag. 13 to 19 mm would be expected.
Three, if you've got the space and access above them, here's what I would do: in the general region where you want to hoist, run a strongback or two across those joists, perpendicular to them, from top plate to top plate (that means span the strongback(s) from one wall all the way to the other). They should be rated for the span, and like was mentioned already, an LVL beam of suitable size would be a good choice. You'll need to add blocks between the strongbacks and the top plates, and if the blocks don't rest above or very-near a wall stud, ADD wall studs under the strongbacks/blocks. Then, depending on how much sag you have, you would then "suck" the joists and strongbacks together with a Pony pipe clamp, and fasten them together with Simpson StrongTie fasteners.
Four: there are limits to the size of holes you're allowed to punch in joists, and their proximity to the edges..look them up via Google, this stuff is widely available, as are allowable joist spans and loads for species of wood. But your 25mm bolts through the joists are overkill, unnecessarily large. Metric equivalent of 1/2" bolts will be fine.

You know as much to call those sticks "joists," so you may understand what I'm describing here. But if you don't have the knowledge or skills, probably best left alone. But to my point: if you support the area where you want to set up your trolly, and transfer that load to the adjacent joists using strongbacks, you'll be fine. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do anything other than hang your trolley rails, then do so, and when it's time to do lifts, prop some vertical supports between the shop floor and the bottom of the joists to support them, then just remove them when you're done. Think lally columns.

Thanks 2 great ideas there and I had literally had a very similar idea last night I want to try the strong back method rather than props although props quick simple and easy I’m trying to minimise storing stuff 😂👍 thanks for the helpful reply’s 👍
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

Also correct they are healthy timbers and all they are supporting is a crawling loft space and the king truss which then supports the roof timbers. Double skin brick building all the way around too.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Workshop lifting beam plan Reply with quote

At a minimum I would tie that into the roof rafters with some Conduit flattened on the end and through bolted on both sides. I would hanf anything real heavy in the middle of that with out some support.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: