Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zenith 32 NDIX
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

I really wish EMPI would reproduce the NDIX line of carbs and manifolds to match. Say what you want about EMPI, but they make some darn good reproduction carbs. The 32 NDIX could be popular in singles and duals on mild T1 engines. The 36 NDIX would be good for hotter T1 engines and mild T4 engines.

They had such a good floatbowl to emulsion tube relationship. They were practically at the center of the float bowl! It gave them good fuel control at higher angles, hard cornering, and rough ground.

With the price of old 32 NDIX carbs going up a lot, and 36 NDIX carbs pretty much unubtainium in the states, I think reproducing them might have promise providing manifolds were also made available.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Yeah, Just saw the Empi ad on the back of Hot VW Magazine January 2017 issue,
Looks like they have 5 carburetors:

HPMX 40 /44
EPC 34
EPC 48 / 51
Progressive EPC / 36F
38EGAS
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

32 NDIX on a 1776 in my Class 11x car.....

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org

Last edited by mr_bill on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Did the aftermarket ever make any VW manifolds for the 36 NDIX, or was that limited to the 32? Bolt pattern and bore spacing was the same, just larger throttle bores.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

The isolated runner manifolds might not work, But I bet the plenum style's made probably would work, but I have only used 32NDIX with Cast Plenum style.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Question......PILOT JET & IDLE JET, same thing ?? WHAT size IDLE JET do you have ??..........THANKS..( my mixture screws are only 1/2 - 3/4 turns out ???????

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Good question, you'd think the diagram below would help, seems to me they are.... unfortunately they don't use the same terminology in the diagram as they do in the table. For a 1776, according to the table you'd want 50s. The last column is for a dual set-up.

May want to post in the thread below also to keep all Zenith info in one place.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352129&highlight=zenith

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

rocky4by wrote:
I like to break the carb down on a large table, about 3'x6'. I will even put down a white sheet so I can see all the parts well. If you have a digital camera take photo's as you disassemble. After disassembly I'll soak all parts in a one gallon can of parts cleaner for one or two days, next, spray all parts off with about 1-2 cans of carb cleaner especially all the passages, then blow everything out with the air compressor. Some people like to resurface or finish hone the throttle body and the carb base, but I do not recommend doing this. If your carb is in good shape and someone else has not done the above already, you will see that there is a machine finish on it that is meant to grip and seal the gaskets. I have had nothing but trouble from ones that have had resurfacing done to them. If you do some internet searching there are some Zenith rebuild videos and final setup information there, if you think you will need it.
It's a very easy carb to go through, you shouldn't have any trouble. Also, there are supposed to be 2 o-rings on the pilot idle jets. Some kits come with them, some don't. Some people are not aware that they ARE supposed to be installed there.
Steve

What about taking a P010 base and filling the area that crosses over with something solid to gain better performance with Dual carbs on a VW engine? Has anyone done it?
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if the throttle plate (cast) in the attached thread is broken.

I'm interested in purchasing, but am weary of the plate on this carb.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

K

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739669

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

I have 2 Zenith carbs, and they both have that slot. I have run them as singles, on both a plenum style manifold, and on an isolated style manifold, on my 1914. Worked fine on both. As I understand it, on a smaller motor, the isolated manifold works better.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Joemama: Much appreciated!

K

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get rebuild kits for these carbs? I'm resurrecting an old hot rod motor that hasn't seen the light of day for over 35 years with dual 32NDIXs.
Thanks!
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Not hard to find. You can find them on Ebay, as well as most vw/offroad shops. Be aware that most rebuild kits do not include the accelerator pump, also available on Ebay. There are 2 accel pumps available, one short, one long. I think the long is for single carb applications, but dont remember for sure. Measure your old one, and match that maybe.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

I honestly never thought of looking on ebay, figured they were probably too obscure. Thanks for the tip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: