Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 74 Body Off Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

Nice! I like your rotisserie.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

Well thought I would update my project.

Believe it or not, I decided it was time to change a few things hoping to improve my overall ride, performance and handling of my/a Thing.

First major change, I opted after 8 years (minimal mileage) to replace the Goodyear Duratrac LT235/75R15 aggressive mud tires. I replaced them with Toyo Open Country P215/75R15 tires. They are an all-terrain tire somewhat tame in tread design. Big change, the tires themselves are 10lbs+ less per tire, narrower and 1" or so shorter. Also, LT vs P rated tires. When I originally put on the Goodyears, they were supposed to be P rated. Shop made mistake in ordering and I was too anxious to get the new tires on as part of the original build. Been driving ever since.

I changed shocks from KYB Gas-a-just to KYB GR2 shocks.

Yep, so far so good. You can tell I am not pushing big heavy, stiff sidewall Light Truck tires. She has a lot more pep in her step. I can feel more motor pull and she stops easier. I can feel a better ride as well without the stiff tires or stiff shocks. Took a little to get accustomed to the new look.

Thats my trade off. Before she was fun but a work out to drive let alone steer when barely moving. She is fun now with more zip in her step. I also have ended up with a Jeep as a daily driver so my Thing needs to be a Thing.

considering removing the raised spindles and spring plates. I still have a 3" body lift and can use that for adequate tire spacing with the 215 tires. That may be for another day.

Here's a couple pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 74 Body Off Restoration Reply with quote

So few changes as I noted in "What did you do to your Thing today" blog. I pulled raised spindles and raised swing plates. I decided with smaller tires, would take some ride height away. gaps were crazy with tires and fender openings. took a few weekends but done with exception of alignment. took a couple shots at rear. doing it twice makes you a little more efficient as well. guess that's the positive side.

I did replace the 55 watt HID headlights with LED plug and play conversion. sweet easy install. nice kit by Aircooled net. No more glow of lights. now bright white.

little lower, more proportional. "Gotta get those rear hubcaps back on"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: