Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinny72758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

I have wanted a 1973 Blue Super Beetle for over 5 years. It's been my dream car.

I've been lurking and reading this forum for several years in anticipation of the day I could pull the trigger - family and other issues kept draining the bank account of the funds I needed for the car I wanted.

That changed on October 5, when I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 1977 standard sedan(wrong year, color, and style, but the price was perfect) about 4 hours east of me.

All the lurking and reading of the technical forums had me prepared. For the price it was listed at, I expected a total disaster.

I went to view the car, cash in hand, in case I got lucky. Man, did I get lucky.

I went and checked the pans, the heater boxes, knew the old fuel injection had been replaced by a Pict34 carb.

What I wasn't expecting was how well kept the car was and the fact that it is a veritable time capsule - it is such a time capsule, it still has the original 41 year old Michelin spare tire which holds air and is completely unusable. I'm the third owner, and it has a well documented history, all kept in the original owner's manual.

I was like a little kid at Christmas. I trailered her home (she had 10 year old tires on it, so didn't want to chance it), and placed it in the garage. the next day, i had to go pace my girlfriend in a 100 mile running race, so didn't get to drive it or tinker with it. It was killing me during the run.

Finally got to start her up and drive it around the block a week after I brought her home.

Immediately changed all the fuel lines, hoses, tires, and replaced the drum brake shoes. Later added a knock-off roof rack and retrofitted it to carry my bikes.

Need to rebuild the carb to get her running as smoothly as possible, which thanks to the tech sections here should not be a problem. But she's running well enough that I have done several 500 mile days in her since I got her, and am using her as my daily driver. just want a little more fine tuning. She's getting ready t turn over 100K for the first time!

Next up, is repaint her back in the original color this spring. The second owner painted her a sand color to match the dust on the dirt road she lived on. She got tired of cleaning the original paint, which I could only call electric green.

I don't want to change any of the time capsule-like elements in her, such as the mid-80's pioneer cassette player and door speakers, or sunroof that got added in the same time period.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Good for you! Enjoy.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Nice.. It is a time capsole for sure! Very nice interior.

Where's the engine photo? Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Very nice find...love the looks of the newer bugs on the inside...

Time to run the wheels off of it.

Congrats on the purchase.

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Nice ride as the 77 standard was the last year to be imported in the USA. Like the wheels on it also. Engine photos?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Very nice car. I suggest looking at adjusting the hand brake. That looks high to me.
vinny72758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Nice ride as the 77 standard was the last year to be imported in the USA. Like the wheels on it also. Engine photos?

Here's a shot of the engine the week I picked her up and did her first oil change. The orange duct tape on the shroud is where i wrote the mileage so I can keep track of oil changes. The fuel filter has already been moved beneath the car.

This shot also shows the original color of the car, which I hope to return her to next year.

Dwayne is also right, the hand brake is high. The shoes on the rear drums need adjusting.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

It'll run better with a stock air cleaner if you can find one.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

If your bug is a long term keeper and you're not reinstalling fuel injection, I'd put it back to a true dual port engine state with a carb manifold with the heat risers, correct tin, oil bath and certainly, a SVDA or DVDA distributor. That 009 mechanical only distributor matched to the 34-3 carb is known for horrible flat spots, off idle hesitations and lower fuel mileage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vinny72758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
If your bug is a long term keeper and you're not reinstalling fuel injection, I'd put it back to a true dual port engine state with a carb manifold with the heat risers, correct tin, oil bath and certainly, a SVDA or DVDA distributor. That 009 mechanical only distributor matched to the 34-3 carb is known for horrible flat spots, off idle hesitations and lower fuel mileage.

Definitely looking at keeping her for the long term and not planning on reinstalling the fuel injection, which leads me to my next set of questions:
1. You mention the correct tin. Is the tin I've got now not the proper tin? How can I tell?

Will definitely be upgrading the manifold in the foreseeable future. Have had some issues with icing already, which can be unbelievably annoying.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

I'm not seeing an issue with the tin, but I'm not really familiar with the really late engines.

In any event, a proper oem VW air cleaner (oil bath or paper element) will have ducting for sending heated air to the carburetor, and the preheat air hose will need to be hooked to it. This will help the cold-weather driveability of the engine immensely when fitted.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

vinny72758 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Definitely looking at keeping her for the long term and not planning on reinstalling the fuel injection, which leads me to my next set of questions:
1. You mention the correct tin. Is the tin I've got now not the proper tin? How can I tell?

Will definitely be upgrading the manifold in the foreseeable future. Have had some issues with icing already, which can be unbelievably annoying.

Thanks for the feedback.

Look at bug engines from 1971. You'll see the difference in the engine tin, muffler, carb manifolds, oil bath and heat risers.

Here's a stock factory photo of a 1971. It's oil bath is super simple and very effective when using all the correct tin, stove pipe, thermostat and flaps, warm air inlet to the carb, etc. If I was you, that's what I'd configure your engine too.

vinny72758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
vinny72758 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Look at bug engines from 1971. You'll see the difference in the engine tin, muffler, carb manifolds, oil bath and heat risers.

Here's a stock factory photo of a 1971. It's oil bath is super simple and very effective when using all the correct tin, stove pipe, thermostat and flaps, warm air inlet to the carb, etc. If I was you, that's what I'd configure your engine too.

Thanks. Have new tin and manifold/risers on order. Trying to locate a NOS oil bath.

New weekend project!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

vinny72758 wrote:
This shot also shows the original color of the car, which I hope to return her to next year.

That GREEN color was the tits! My brother bought one like it fresh off the showroom floor back then! Sweet ride it was... Razz

... until it got stolen! Evil or Very Mad

Come to think of it, iffin I ever decide my '70 Bug needs a fresh paint job, THAT would definitely be my first choice of color! Cool
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

Viper Green Metallic L96N
Is that the correct color?
I found this pic on the interwebs.
I kinda like it

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
vinny72758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
Viper Green Metallic L96N
Is that the correct color?
I found this pic on the interwebs.
I kinda like it

That's the color.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

For engine set up and tins references

1973 dual port stock engine

1969 stock engine

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! I got my new to me bug Reply with quote

I have always been in love with that green - just never had one, I envy yours!

Take a good hard look that the thermostat and all related parts are there and in good working order including the sled tins. I will make a big difference on drivability and how long the engine lasts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: