Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

I just cleared my code and took it for a run around the block. Yellow light stayed on the entire time. I pulled over and shut it down and restarted and got the code again. While the van runs, it certainly doesn't have a lot power. One other thing that may or may not be related but I'll mention it.

My Tachometer died about two weeks ago, I had heard intermittent clicking sounds coming from the cluster for a few weeks prior, sometimes when these sounds were audible I'd also see the oil light flashing. The tach died and I haven't experienced the sound or the oil light since. But when I was looking at the van today, I checked the fuses under the seat that are part of the 1.8T conversion. The Tach fuse was blown, I replaced it and on the drive around the block, the tack behaved erratic , more bouncing then anything else.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

I doubt the OEM tach has anything to do with it. My tach died a long time ago and my van ran perfectly without it. I use the tach on the ScanGauge.

When this code came up (simultaneously with the yellow CEL) my van immediately went into "limp mode" with a huge loss of power. Clearing the code sometimes cleared the CEL and the van ran normally again, but it always came back eventually... sometimes immediately other times days later.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

At the risk of furthering what may turn out to be a red herring, my tach also "died" recently, although it has come back to life more than once since then. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it lately.
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

Greetings! Haven't been on TS in some time.

Both lights on the dash are basically a check engine lights. One or both may come on but they mean the same thing. Your engine computer is seeing an actuator or sensor that is out of range.

We suspect that moisture is getting into the throttle position plug causing the trouble codes and a loss of power called "limp in mode". This is a safety feature limiting throttle / power until your engine computer (ECU) sees normal values again. Sometimes clearing the trouble code will cure the issue but can come back. Better low power than full throttle unexpectedly..

I'm are on this! We are notifying all our "automatic" customers about this and will come up with a solution asap.

Sorry these problems are happening.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

Thank you Stephan - very much appreciate you replying to the thread - looking forward to the solution.

Cheers!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

tgraham wrote:
Thank you Stephan - very much appreciate you replying to the thread - looking forward to the solution.

Cheers!

X2 👍😀
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

Happy Friday Samba!

So a little more info on my situation. I didn't drive the van all week, but just went out to start it to see if a long rest would allow her to sort it all out and be road worthy again. No such luck. So I started the van, immediately showed both check engine red light and key yellow light on. I cleared the P2138 Code and the red check engine light went out, but the yellow key light remained. The ScanGauge indicated that there was a pending code after I cleared the P2138 and low and behold a new code surfaced: P2127. Googling suggests it also has to do with the pedal sensors, but just thought I'd ad this to the thread as it may be useful.

Cheers
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

tgraham wrote:
Happy Friday Samba!

So a little more info on my situation. I didn't drive the van all week, but just went out to start it to see if a long rest would allow her to sort it all out and be road worthy again. No such luck. So I started the van, immediately showed both check engine red light and key yellow light on. I cleared the P2138 Code and the red check engine light went out, but the yellow key light remained. The ScanGauge indicated that there was a pending code after I cleared the P2138 and low and behold a new code surfaced: P2127. Googling suggests it also has to do with the pedal sensors, but just thought I'd ad this to the thread as it may be useful.

Cheers

Very similar to my experience. I’m having a hard time getting ahold of the transporter that usually takes my van to SAH. May have to look into another transporter option.
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

Good luck with getting your rig to Stephan's. SAH is just shy of 200 miles from Santa Cruz, so AAA Premium has worked out well for me.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

tgraham wrote:
Good luck with getting your rig to Stephan's. SAH is just shy of 200 miles from Santa Cruz, so AAA Premium has worked out well for me.

You’re stoked! Although I have AAA Premium, I’m just over 300 miles to Sacramento.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

Yesterday SAH installed their new pedal/throttle system in my van. I know they’ve done several others too. I’m told the new solution uses the same pedal as they use for manual transmissions, replacing the stock pedal, so all the electronics are inboard now and safe from the elements. I don’t know the details of how they worked out controlling the trans with the new pedal, but I’m very happy with the feel and function after driving it 200 miles home, often in driving rain.

Kudos to SAH for addressing this issue with a comprehensive solution. They didn’t charge me a nickel either, which is amazing. I wish I lived closer and could take more of my day to day business to them!

Dan
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange 1.8T behavior - ScanGauge Code P2138 Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:

Kudos to SAH for addressing this issue with a comprehensive solution. They didn’t charge me a nickel either, which is amazing. I wish I lived closer and could take more of my day to day business to them!

Dan

X2! Thank you SAH!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: