Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

Hi all, greetings from NorCal and happy holidays. I am in need of rear brackets and a bumper for my '73. Am I locked into the '73-'74 brackets and bumper OR could I bolt up a bracket / bumper combo from a different year? As long as it's aesthetically pleasing and clears the body, I wouldn't mind drilling the brackets to fit the frame. Otherwise, it's all good, I shall continue my search / inquiries.

Thanks much,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

As far as I know bumpers from 73 to 79 are the same...even 72?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

Thanks much, that's my understanding, also 73-79 bumpers are the same but the brackets are '72 only, 73-74, then 75-79... I think. Just not sure if I go with a '72 or slightly earlier bumper & bracket combo if it will mount correctly and sit where the original one did.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

Most times you can find answers about fitment from vendors

http://www.busdepot.com/body-exterior/bumper

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

go 73 or later. If 72 IS one year only, don't mess with it. someone with a 72 wants em. 73 to 79 is a lot of options out there
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

go 73 or later. If 72 IS one year only, don't mess with it. someone with a 72 wants em. 73 to 79 is a lot of options out there
edit-looking at the classifieds, you want 73 to 79
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any big difference between 73-75 and 76-79 brackets, they all interchange. As mentioned anything from 72-79 will bolt up to the holes in the frame, the 72 only requires extra mounts at the front corners the later 1/4 panels don't have provisions for so you'll have to do some fabricating.

Go for the 73-79, they are the easiest to find and bolt right on with no drama.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

if you can't find one, I may have one for sale in the Sacramento area in a month or two.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. This is good info.

SG - thank you, too. I will keep that in mind. If you remember, please ping me if/when you're ready - I might still need one by then.

Thanks,
Mikey
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay - Rear bumper and bracket compatability question Reply with quote

73-79 bumpers are available new. I have not inspected their quality, but it's nice to have them available:

https://www.eisparts.com/bumperrear-blade-primeredbus-73-79.html

There is an error in their ad copy when it mentions '72, but they have those for sale too.

EDIT: It looks like VW Heritage is also selling new brackets. Neat.

https://www.vwheritage.com/vw-bay-window-1968-79/vw-bay-window-bumpers/bumper-irons

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: