Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Threshold/Door Sill Covers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

I am really liking these threshold covers (picture from oldbug.com) but Wolfsburg West does not list them for convertibles. Does anyone carry this nice of ones for convertibles? If not, how different are the door sills in a convertible?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW14SS
andrewda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

The ones for the sedan should work for the convertible, at least for the door sill. My sedan has that threshhold plate, but it also gets the door corner and part of the a-pillar area so that would not be the same on a vert. Just be careful about how you install them. Drilling anything into my heater channels would give me nightmares about how rusted out it will be in another 30 years
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Are you saying it covers more than I can see in the picture? Don't suppose you have a picture of what you are talking about? How did you install yours?

andrewda wrote:
The ones for the sedan should work for the convertible, at least for the door sill. My sedan has that threshhold plate, but it also gets the door corner and part of the a-pillar area so that would not be the same on a vert. Just be careful about how you install them. Drilling anything into my heater channels would give me nightmares about how rusted out it will be in another 30 years
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Convertibles have extra braces in the lower corners of the door openings. The sedan covers will not fit.
(stolen from the photo gallery)

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Convertibles have extra braces in the lower corners of the door openings. The sedan covers will not fit.
(stolen from the photo gallery)

Thank you, looking at pictures it looks like the pinch piece for the carpet is different too. If it's just the braces I would just trim the covers around them but I'm thinking it's more than just that looking at pictures.

Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Convertible threshold covers are available. Attached are pictures of them in my '67 convertible. Unfortunately I don't remember who I purchased them from. They are extruded aluminum and not just pressed thin aluminum sheet metal.

Keep looking you should be able to find them. Good luck.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Damn, I never knew about those braces at the bottom of the door jambs!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:
I am really liking these threshold covers (picture from oldbug.com) but Wolfsburg West does not list them for convertibles. Does anyone carry this nice of ones for convertibles? If not, how different are the door sills in a convertible?

Call Chuck at Chucks Convertibles....he advertises on this site. He can tell you anything you want to know about where to get the decorative rails for your vert.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:

Call Chuck at Chucks Convertibles....he advertises on this site. He can tell you anything you want to know about where to get the decorative rails for your vert.
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

I think Jbug sells those ones. I really like the ones WW sells so I’ll either have to settle or modify.

Brian Anthony wrote:
Convertible threshold covers are available. Attached are pictures of them in my '67 convertible. Unfortunately I don't remember who I purchased them from. They are extruded aluminum and not just pressed thin aluminum sheet metal.

Keep looking you should be able to find them. Good luck.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Wouldn’t be too hard to make a set really... the nice ones are kinda $$$ to take a cut/mod... or atleast for poor guys like me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:
I really like the ones WW sells .

A pair of tin snips some time.. and it's done...

Wink

If you want it nice and straight.. . use a sharp utility knife .. a straight edge.. and score a deep line at trim lines. .. bend, break and done.

If its what you want.. dont settle ... do it..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Kustom41 wrote:

Wink

If you want it nice and straight.. . use a sharp utility knife .. a straight edge.. and score a deep line at trim lines. .. bend, break and done.

My buddy was the one that manufactured those ones that WW sells, they are stainless steel. I have two sets. They are very rigid and top quality.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Do you have a set that is not installed? Can you measure the step up for me? I am concerned that the convertible needs I taller cover due to the metal that pinches the carpet in place that I am not seeing in the pictures of the non-convertibles.

Keith wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Kustom41 wrote:

Wink

My buddy was the one that manufactured those ones that WW sells, they are stainless steel. I have two sets. They are very rigid and top quality.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:
Do you have a set that is not installed? Can you measure the step up for me? I am concerned that the convertible needs I taller cover due to the metal that pinches the carpet in place that I am not seeing in the pictures of the non-convertibles.

Keith wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Kustom41 wrote:

Wink

I do have one set that aren’t installed. I can measure them for you later today.

Also, the ones I have aren’t for sale. That is for anyone that might have wanted to PM me about them. Those are going in my ‘55.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Keith did you ever have a chance to grab that measurement?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:
Keith did you ever have a chance to grab that measurement?

Sorry my uncle passed away unexpectedly, here you go.

Total width 36 1/8”

The sill height is 3/4” where it goes from the threshold up to the carpet strip.

Kustom41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you for getting the measurements for me!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

Kustom41 wrote:
So sorry for your loss.

Thank you for getting the measurements for me!

Thanks. No problem, if you need any other measurements let me know.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Threshold/Door Sill Covers Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Kustom41 wrote:
I really like the ones WW sells

A pair of tin snips, some time.. and it's done...

If you're up for modifying the ones made for sedans, I have a pair of brand new, never-used, stainless steel WW sill covers that I can sell you for a good price. PM me if interested.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: