Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I think I just found one. Or five. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-of-5-Crank-Case-Ven...I-EALw_wcB
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I think the 028129101E is for later model tdi, and 028129101D is for AAZ, and early tdi. ALH tdi which is later has only two connections, no block drain.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Thanks. Just ordered same one from Auto Zone.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Perhaps I missed something else. Am I supposed to vent the block now bc it will be turbo?

The block and the valve cover area are connected by several large oil drains. If you vent one, you vent the other. If you vent both that's even better.

ndorian wrote:
Ok so the connection to the block is to return any blow by.

Nope, both valve cover and block would vent gases OUT.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Changed orientation of air cleaner. Added the pcv valve by making an adaptor out of plumbing parts. Drilled and tapped block off plate for 5/8 hose barb. Lots of clamps. Thanks a million to everyone who has been on this with me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Something that has been bugging me the closer I get to a test run is the droop in the oil return bung for the turbo. I may have to pull the oil pan again to put a better designed bung on it. Also the exhaust still isnt where I want it. I had to cut the first version and have it re welded because I had it going under the engine mount instead of jogging around it like it is going to be now. Still an inch too low but I may go with it. At least there would be a bit more distance between exhaust and engine mounting tubes.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

This is the best I could have done. If you are trying to do this you could learn from my mistake. To keep the oil return line from turbo above the oil level is hard to do if you return to the oil pan. Maybe returning to the block is better but then you have to clean up metal shavings so if engine is insitu then that is hard. There is no "no weld" bung available that will accommodate the na oil pan. You will have to have a steel one welded and bolt that to the pan or do something like this but I will have very little room for a hose and clamp. The bung actually does angle down a touch but that was the best that could be done to stay above the oil level.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Drake welding did the tig welding.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I've assembled everything and mounted a temporary exhaust. I pulled the electrical connection to the fuel pump and turned the engine over a few times to try to get oil primed. I connected the pump electrically and now the van won't start. Like every ten attempts it sounds like it wants to catch but it wont. I am not a mechanic. A bit scared at this point and out of my range. Would appreciate any suggestion.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

If the injection pump has a lot of air inside it can take some tries to get it full of fuel again and the new injection lines also have air that has to be purged out and again that takes some tries. So charge up the battery and give it some more goes.

You may need to manually fill the pump with fuel if lots of cranking doesn't do it.

Mark
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks Mark.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I have a spare IN bolt and banjo fitting that I use along with an outboard primer bulb to pull fuel all the way through the fuel system and pump prior to starting if the fuel system has been opened. I also have tighten the metal lines at the pump and leave them loose at the injectors - keep your hands away as injection pressure is high enough to inject diesel into your skin and the medical procedure if that occurs is amputation of the affected body part. I then crank for 15 seconds or so. Then tighten any injector unions that show fuel. Then crank again, etc, until all four metal lines are purged of air and the engine will then start normally.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Thanks Waldo but I actually did not open the fuel system for the turbo project. Thats why I can't understand why it wont catch. Just tried again and the ratio of tries to almost starting is now like three to one instead of ten to one. OF course now the battry is dying. Going to purchase a good charger.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Make sure you are seeing current at the glow plug buss bar when you turn the key to ON.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Ok I don't know where that is located but I will look in the Bentley, thanks. I have charged the battery and tried again when I got home from work today. Worse even. I have read where people use a bulb pump to pull fuel from the diesel pump return line and then leave the bulb pump in line permanently. Could I use this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arnold-Siphon-Pump-Kit-490-850-0008/203051321. But not leave in in place.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Actually that wont prime each of the metal injector lines.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Ok. I think I understand the method of loosening the metal lines at the injectors and looking for fuel, then tightening. Thanks again ?Waldo?.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Except now I'm worried about this glow plug buss bar issue. Confused
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Umm is this a process that takes two people? I keep reading about keep your hand away from the injector but how do I turn the key and be worried about keeping my other hand away from something a good distance away?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Just want to start the van. Trying to find a second person to help. Previous owner has been really cool and helpful. He says he will try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 23

Jump to: