Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 Westy BN4 Control Panel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

Morning everyone,

I'm curious if anyone else has this, or has seen this type of control panel before. I assume it's for the BN4 as my bus had one in it, but was taken out years before I purchased it. The control panel is mounted just to the upper right of the heat ducting below the bed.

I've looked at BN4 threads and have really only seen the control that mounts up near the dash, or the footwell.

Anyone else have this or any info on it?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

The hole cut in the wood looks more like a PO hack than a VW pro install... Think

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
The hole cut in the wood looks more like a PO hack than a VW pro install... Think

That's very well possible. I have the original Eberspacher ducting that connects to the heater itself, as well as the heat control thermostat.

So someone probably got original Eb. parts and put them in after the fact, not factory.

Hmm.
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

there was one of those in a local pick and pull, but no white knob. It had the "TEMP" black knob like you would find on the dash normally.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

Yeah. That's not an Eberspacher part for sure. Looks like a surplus piece from Boeing or other related Avionic parts. The White knob- push pull could be Steward Warner and may be - as Steward Warners were the American version of Gas Heaters for car AND coincidently kept our boys warm on bombing missions at high altitude. Wink

Take some pics of everything related to the heater. That just looks like a previous owner addition for sure.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top

Last edited by notchboy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the bus as I found it. The orange ducting has an Eberspacher label on it. The bracket is OEM VW, but welded to a section of bar that was spot welded to the body (smaller heater?)

I will have to take more pics tonight of the bus as it is now.

2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

What you have is a later BN4 being put into an earlier bus. The engine bay changed in the bay window bus in 72 when VW went to T4 motors. With that the mounting brackets for the BN4 changed as well and the heater itself got an update to the later points driven metering pump.

That mounting bracket is for a later bay engine bay. Look under my name - notchboy or Jason Weigel for many things BN4 related on this site, youtube as well as Facebook.

Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

I've seen some of your videos Razz Nice to meet you.

I'm going to purchase this, which I was told was taken out of a '69

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2091039

In your opinion.... do you think there will be any major issues (install wise) putting this BN4 into my bay? FYI, I'm not afraid of wiring, rebuilding, refurbing, etc etc..

Just want your experienced opinion.

Thank you very much!
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

tweakhx wrote:
I've seen some of your videos Razz Nice to meet you.

I'm going to purchase this, which I was told was taken out of a '69

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2091039

In your opinion.... do you think there will be any major issues (install wise) putting this BN4 into my bay? FYI, I'm not afraid of wiring, rebuilding, refurbing, etc etc..

Just want your experienced opinion.

Thank you very much!

The only issue with the early ones is the diaphragms in the pump metering regulator on top of the heater.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Westy BN4 Control Panel Reply with quote

So I assume you can tell the early type from the later type by the serial number? I remember seeing your video describing the diaphragm and issues finding replacements

thank you so much for your help.

edit: found your video describing the differences, based on that it would appear to be an early one since it has the metal top.
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: