Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas?

the FAQ have this link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497051

Is that the latest info?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

A friend has one. Super cool. A lot of pros - but I'm not sure how much this weighs.

I know LiveWorkWander had issues of dirt/sand getting into theirs. I think they fixed it with some sealant of sort.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

brucevanner grows even more hulk-like beneath the surface...he sure has done a great job with that van, Brandon.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
brucevanner grows is even more hulk-like beneath the surface...he sure has done a great job with that van, Brandon.

No doubt Mike! Bruce has some very tasteful and unique mods. I was truly inspired after being behind the wheel of that beast.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a release-and-drop box or tray that fits up underneath between the frame runners? I’d like to store my jack, tow strap and a few tools outside the van, but without chopping a hole in the floor.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Has anyone heard of a release-and-drop box or tray that fits up underneath between the frame runners? I’d like to store my jack, tow strap and a few tools outside the van, but without chopping a hole in the floor.

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to get that jack out when you've got a flat or when you might be buried in sand..not that you'd ever get stuck! Smile

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Not between the frame rails, but in the spare tire location ... Pelican IM2700 case / VanCafe oversize spare carrier/ latch extension. No mods to the van required other than replacing the stock spare tire clamshell with the VanCafe carrier ... uses the existing bolt locations. There is likely a Pelican case that fits between the frame rails under the sliding door, maybe even one of the Pelican rifle cases. You could probably rig a drop-down bracket to hold it in a similar fashion to this and not have to cut a hole in your floor.

Stuff in it just for scale. Holds a good bit of outside the van stuff:

Spare tire latch extension from BenTSyncro https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1927581.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:

LIKE!!

Makes me want to find a new location for my standard size spare Razz

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Bruce vanner is working on taking a plastic drum, cutting it down to spare tire size, and installing marine latches on the shortened drum. I bought a spare drum once I heard him working on this project.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
how are you going to get that jack out when you've got a flat or when you might be buried in sand

Not a prob, high lift van on low profile rubber.
Plus the shovel rides inside the van.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Bruce vanner is working on taking a plastic drum, cutting it down to spare tire size, and installing marine latches on the shortened drum. I bought a spare drum once I heard him working on this project.

This photo turned up in a non-VW forum looking for storage ideas.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

The blue container people must not have tried putting it up... theres a box hanging down where you got to turn the tire outside down so it can go up in there.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
The blue container people must not have tried putting it up... theres a box hanging down where you got to turn the tire outside down so it can go up in there.

true on stick models...Automatics don;t have that issue I understand

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Automatics don't have that issue I understand

Huh, hadn't known that... never had an auto before my T4, and that wasn't really even a VW, more of an Audi, really. Not saying I didn't like it, but it sure was not anything like my other Transporters (T1,T2,T3)

NOT a good reason to go converting to an Auto tho, for sure..
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
true on stick models...Automatics don;t have that issue I understand

My Westy’s an automatic; it doesn’t have the box over the shifter linkage sticking down in that space.

Here’s another picture. The case fits perfectly between the frame rails. The photo perspective makes it look lower than it I really is. The spacer for the clamshell hook extension is 1.5 inches lower than the stock clamshell.
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Wouldn't spare tire storage boxes/bins/drums limit the airflow? The radiator is right there... Looks to me like hot air is supposed to flow through the radiator and down through the spare and out the tray. [here come the "hot air" jokes... Laughing ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Ryan Alfonso wrote:
Wouldn't spare tire storage boxes/bins/drums limit the airflow? The radiator is right there... Looks to me like hot air is supposed to flow through the radiator and down through the spare and out the tray. [here come the "hot air" jokes... Laughing ]

I have had the space stuffed with drybags. Did not notice an iota of difference in running temperature.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

That will have no impact on cooling. There is plenty of room
for the radiator air.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

IMHO it's a valid question, VW raised the shifter floor on the diesel models to increase airflow through the radiator. Seems that if you block too much of the airflow with boxes, etc, it may affect the cooling in certain hot conditions.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

But that box doesn’t look like it blocks more than the spare tire. I’d
like to see someone overheat with a box first. The Vanagon radiator is very robust. Not undersized at all.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: