Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another buggy being saved
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Looks great!
The top rear picture of the interior shows 2 gas struts. Does the top hinge up? What did you use for latches at the windshield?

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes it is hinged in the rear,many the rear trunk gas struts from a 2004 Impala hold it up. Took A LOT of trial,and error, and several pairs of struts to figure out what pressure, length, and holding power were the ones to use. To latch it, I modified house window latches, and mounted a spring on them, and have bicycle brake cable, running thru stainless tubing to a lever on the side that pulls the latches open, and the spring pulls it back down. I mounted the windshield backwards, (groove towards the rear) tapped the groove and installed 1/4-20 timeserts (threaded inserts), installed bolts, then drilled and tapped the 1/4-20 bolts to 10-24 for the screws that hold the latch retainer that holds the top down. Lots of work, but we wer adamit about having a top, and since I chopped the windshield, the only way to,get into the buggy is to tilt it rear wards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Any more pictures to share? That was only a teaser! Very Happy
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Been super busy with work, haven't had time to wire it up, or narrow the front beam yet. But here's a couple of pictures of it finished and assembled.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Ah! So you haven't had a chance to drive it yet?

I really dread the wiring part!

Is that another project Buggy you picked up?
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

I don't mind wiring, I've done a few cars.
Also no, not another project, that's a "before and after" picture.. the day we picked it up, and the day I rolled it out of my garage.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Love this build threadand I am heartened by the story of perserverance and second chances behind it. Sincerely hope everything is going OK with you daughter's health. My first son was born with some pretty serious challenges, not survivable as it turned out, and it warms me to see how completely committed your family is to each other.

Any further word on this buggy? If you don't mind, what are the seats out of? I have a Dune Runner and am struggling with seat options. Went modern suspension seats to start, but they sat high and I didn't like the look. Too modern for an otherwise period car. Put in a second set out of something from the 80's and they're better, but not great. Next bought a pair of '65 VW low backs and, even though it's a 65 pan, they're too wide. Back to the second set for now but want something in there that looks like they might have been installed in the original build.
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

a video of the top in action would be AWESOME
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

The Buggy is all final assembled, wired, started and finished....except, the guy who assembled the motor cracked the case when he did a full flow conversion. They did a crappy repair and it still leaks. He said he's not doing any more to help us, saying he did us a favor on the build (after paying him for ALL the new parts and getting back a damaged motor, I don't see where the favor is??) so I'll have to have someone fix it and then take him to small claims court for reimbursement. After all the work and time my daughter and I put into it and not get to enjoy it, she got a little disappointed and it's also cold up here so I've put it to the side for now. I'll get back on it when spring hits.

The seats are metal, and came from a couple of 1980's Clarke forklifts. They fit in there nicely, and came with sliders.

I'll try and do a video of the top when I get back to working on it, but it basically just goes up and down like the window of a hatch back car.
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that I bought a new motor with new parts supposedly, and while I've been working on the Buggy the engine has been on a small rolling cart in my garage it's out there for about a month-and-a-half I had to move it and noticed about a teaspoonful of oil coming out from the oil pump cover and the guy said we'll just Try tightening the bolts!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another buggy being saved Reply with quote

Sorry about the bad engine luck Ken! I am struggling with a persistent leak too that I hope to have solved before spring. It's not so bad that it's stopped us from driving though... we just pack a diaper for where we park!

You MUST get that girl out on the road in it, before you know it she will be grown up and gone. Ask me how I know!

You are not so far south of us so yes it's cool these days. We wake up to -20 most days now. There is I believe some gorgeous Buggy cruising opportunities there to the north and west if I am not mistaken. There sure is here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: