Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil setup
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Oil setup Reply with quote

What is the difference between the two oil filter setups below. One where the filter has tubes running to it and is mounted in a remote location and the one that has the bracket and filter mounted right to the engine?

Is one better than the other?

I had a 2276 built and the guy who built it gave me the remote mounted one with the tubes but I have not opened it up or installed it so I could change if I wanted.

Also, I am not setup currently for any type of oil pump or other oil cooler or fan except for my doghouse. Should I have something else installed? What would be the best setup?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Both setups are "full flow"...

Remote setups with hoses main advantage is it can place filter any where... But it has hoses and fitting (that can leak to deal with) and has to have modification to block as oil passage plug removed and drilled/threaded for return line from filter...Also needs to have a plug placed in outlet of pump body or oil passage in block plugged (or both). Also does not interfere with "some" types of muffler/exhaust plumbing ... Also good if you are adding oil cooler because block mods are already done (if retaining in shroud cooler)...

Filterer pump does not require all the nasty plumbing and such, can interfere with "some" muffler/exhaust systems... Cleaner simpler installation, and does not provide "plumbing" capabilities for external oil cooler.

Both are capable of catching particulate matter in oil that can get past oil pickup screen... One with hoses requires oil pump outlet or block to be plugged to force oil out pump cover plate to filter, but can use standard pump and new cover plate with oil "out" port... Filter pump requires you to replace standard pump with pump specifically designed to work with cover plate manifold that specifically mounts the filter...Up side here is no hoses and remote filter adapter and filter to "find" a place to mount....

I think someone has said the last few years of aircooled VW engines out of Mexico actually had filter pumps... So if VW adopted it it can't be all bad....

If my information is wrong, someone will be quick to point it out, stay tuned...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

If you go with the remote filter , this little item is a cool option for adding a cooler. Thermostatic sandwich adapter.

Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Great info guys. Thank you so much.

So if I use the remote one I have is there already an oil pump within the engine block or do I need to add one? If so why would you need to add one for the direct bolt on application?

How does that thermostatic sandwich adapter work? Does it hook up to a fan? Is it better or as good as cooling as other types of coolers? Are they available from the normal parts stores? Is an oil cooler like it is some any oil cooler in general highly recommended?

In what situations are the benefits to having the cooler? Will the engine overheat too quickly without one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Buzzfagan wrote:
Great info guys. Thank you so much.

So if I use the remote one I have is there already an oil pump within the engine block or do I need to add one? If so why would you need to add one for the direct bolt on application?

How does that thermostatic sandwich adapter work? Does it hook up to a fan? Is it better or as good as cooling as other types of coolers? Are they available from the normal parts stores? Is an oil cooler like it is some any oil cooler in general highly recommended?

In what situations are the benefits to having the cooler? Will the engine overheat too quickly without one?

The engine has an oil pump at the back. Typically a full flow set up has a connection at the pump cover and another in the case. I see the pump covers that have both in and out that eliminates drilling the case, not sure if that works as well, don’t really know.

Most here would say you don’t need a remote cooler if you engine is built and tuned right and have all the stock cooling tin and parts in place. I found my engine getting hot under haevay load on hot days and am more comfortable with having the extra cooling. I resisted for a long time just cause I don’t like to have extra parts if they are not needed.
The thermostic sandwich I got from air cooled.net others sell them. It has a thermostat in it that will just send oil to the cooler when it gets above a certain temperature , I think 185 degrees, and if you put in a cooler you will want a thermostat to control flow to it. In this case it is built into the adapter. I like it because I can remove the cooler from the system easily if there was a leak or some reason to do so. And in my case it seemed to make hosing routing worked good. My oil cooler itself has a fan on it that is controlled by another thermostat that I think goes on at about 195 degrees. This is so that you don’t have additional cooling before your engine has warmed up properly. I. My case I am using the stock doghouse cooler in the stock location along with the oil filter and cooler system.

If you search full flow you will find lots of info and discussion about this kind of setup
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Great info. Thank you so much. Do you have any photos of your full setup showing all the components and how you hooked them up?
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Also, do you run an additional oil pump with your setup?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

With oil cooler...

Without oil cooler...

You should probable cruse through links below to understand what is available to you so you can make informed decision...
http://www.cbperformance.com/Oil-Pumps-Cooling-Systems-s/51.htm

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Buzzfagan wrote:
Great info. Thank you so much. Do you have any photos of your full setup showing all the components and how you hooked them up?

No additional oil pumps. Here’s some pics of my setup. Hard to get all the details but I put my cooler with fan under the package tray, I have extra room because I have a lift kit, I put a wire cage around it to to deflect the bigger rocks from hitting it. You will see the outlet hose coming out of the oil pump, right above it is a fitting coming out of the engine case itself, can’t see it in the picture.

In this picture there is another fitting into the case right above the hose going to the oil pump cover

Last edited by dirtkeeper on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Pump outlet to filter and case inlet from filter.

Filter housing connections.

Filter connections.

Lots of ways to accomplish this.....you get to pick which way works best for you.

I recommend JIC/AN fittings along with swivel nipples and push-loc hose.
It makes for inexpensive connections and easy install and removal.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. Very helpful!!
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Is it ok to run one of these cooler and filter systems with a breather box installed as well!
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Sorry for all the questions...Does the oil go through that sandwich adapter and oil cooler before or after it goes through the oil filter. Been reading and people say it is best to filter the oil first because it is hotter and will filter better??? Not sure if it matters??
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Buzzfagan wrote:
Sorry for all the questions...Does the oil go through that sandwich adapter and oil cooler before or after it goes through the oil filter. Been reading and people say it is best to filter the oil first because it is hotter and will filter better??? Not sure if it matters??

Yes it goes through the filter first. And it always goes through the filter,it only goes to the cooler when the oil gets hotter
No problem to run a breather box too
Hilbilyrocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil setup Reply with quote

Anybody ever use a 5/8 freeze plug in the oil pump?, Instead of the threaded plug?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: