Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trip to German 50th birthday meet
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of driving my 74 from California to New York, getting a roll on Roll off to Bremerhaven, and going to the German 50th celebration.

I am also thinking of selling my 74 in Germany instead of bringing it back.
Anybody know the regulatuions for driving it in Europe, and can I sell my rust free Californisa 74 Thing easliy? Should I take my VWoA hardtop and unobtanium roof rack or keep them for my 73?

Last edited by sam_w on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Keep looking for German VW clubs, maybe someone is already interested in getting one.
http://www.kaeferfreunde-bayerwald.de/links/links.html
links may not work but it's a start.

It will have to pass the German inspection before selling, which can vary in cost from 100 Euros and up.

The buyer will have to pay taxes on the purchase, most likely import and Value Added Tax (19%)

There are a few guys also in Germany on here that will know more:
germanx
purple beast
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Is the inspection to see if everything is working, or are there safety regs that need my Thing to be changed.
For instance, in California pre 75 cars do not need smog tests, in Germany what is the smog needed?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I don't know about the year it won't need one, but my buggy, a '69 doesn't get smog inspection but it also doesn't get the green sticker for driving in certain cities or if a temporary restriction on driving is issued.

The TüV usually includes:
Lights-including headlight alignment
Brakes-including parking brake
Horn
Wipers/squirter
tire tread
alignment
windshield-DOT and no cracks
rust
bolts tight
front shake test
visual inspection
tires inside fenders
exhaust system
seat belts
first aid kit/warning triangle/safety vest (have to be TüV approved, you can buy these almost anywhere)

I'll find my last inspection and scan it. I haven't been through a German TüV, as I am attached to the Army and go through the base inspection for our registration.

Will talk to a couple locals and find out more.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Thanks,
Everythig is OK, except the squirters and first aid kit + triangle.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

First aid kit and warning triangle less than $15 at ATU.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

When I was stationed over there we used to buy cars from the Germans whose cars had failed TUV. Then we would sell them to the GI's. Their Inspection is very strict. The one thing to look at is the 181's in Germany go through the inspection. If you can find a German who has one check with them and find out what they look for on theirs. The German first Aid kit has to be TUV approved. It is very different than the cheap ones you get here. I still have 2 of them in My cars. There is one for sale here. The private ones I have are blue in color but the case looks the same.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2218613
GB
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Hardest one with a VW:

No oil leaks.
No new ones, no old ones.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Hardest one with a VW:

No oil leaks.
No new ones, no old ones.

Isn't it easier to find a unicorn?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

I live in europe and would say car imports are regulated the same across EU

So an older than 30 years car can be registered with historic specific rules..for some countries this is mandatory...in germany probably its an option, otherwise you need to fit a catalusator, etc.

OTOH Things here sell at lower prices than US, just the contrary than KG's
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: trip to German 50th birthday meet Reply with quote

Maybe, I should plan to go to Kubeltreffen East o9n the way and ship my 74 from the East Coast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: