Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Please pardon my ignorance on this but is a 1997 5 spd. Golf GTI anything special? i.e. were many made? Are they worth fixing up?

I have a line on one locally for $500. It has a snapped rad fan blade, clutch slips, driver door doesn't open from outside and I assume other things wrong with it or need attention, but I figured it might be worth fixing up to use as a daily driver.

Thanks

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

Anything special? Probably not but for $500 and a bit of elbow grease, it may be just the ticket for a fun commute.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

Thanks Butcher. Figured it wasn't anything unique but best to ask first.

Ya, I might go that route, make it a daily ride, but I think it has an ABA engine (owner said '2.0 not turbo' ) so the engine might be a good candidate for a rebuild or keep as spare for my OBD1 ABA Vanagons and the harnesses/ECU good as well though they're OBD2 obviously.

Heresy to mention on this forum possibly, Wink but IF it's in rougher shape than anticipated, (bad sunroof etc) I might recoup some money parting it out. Especially if tranny is ok. However. I am looking for a project now and have never gotten elbow deep in anything but a Vanagon so.... I've always been partial to the Golf.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

They’re a great, dependable beater. The only difference between the Golf & the GTI in ‘97 was $60 in the badges.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The only difference between the Golf & the GTI in ‘97 was $60 in the badges.

LOL. ha. Ok. Well, if I part it, that could be $60 in my pocket. Wink

One deal killer could be that it's possibly been lowered. But that's just a personal preference obviously.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

Just viewed this car. Rear end appears saggy (too low) which has me concerned. The exhaust is broken open at mid point and since the rad fan is separated from the motor, the rad fan thermo switch is, logically, unplugged so who knows if the engine was overheated. Interesting to see it has 4 wheel disc brakes, all of which show scoring at rotors so...... but parts appear cheap!

It's a $500 CND car. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

They're good cars, Neil, and very easy to work on. That model wasn't really a true GTI. It was one of the few GTIs VW sold here that didn't have any performance advantages over the regular Golf GL of the same year. But they're durable cars with nice highway manners, zippy acceleration, and good fuel mileage. If you look on Rockauto, the parts are indeed very cheap. I just helped a friend price out front brakes for his 98 GTI and nice Raybestos rotors were $10 each and the pad set was $8.00.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

thanks Dave.

I have no doubt about the car design etc, I do like the Golf and am pretty familiar with the 2.0 ABA, particularly Motronic 2.9 OBD1 but I'm concerned that the low rear end might indicate a structural rust issue with the rear "axle" beam. The way it was parked, I couldn't view the underside. And since the rad fan switch has been disconnected a while, I'd assume the engine has been run hot at times; it didn't sound that healthy. Had a bit of a light rumble to it. I'd be curious of the head condition.

But for sure. I did check rockauto and ya, parts are cheap. Ha! Very inexpensive pads!

I do have a line on a $400 '94 Golf with manual windows, non-op previously leaky sunroof and 2.0 ABA. It has some issues but drives. The engine looks like it was maintained. (they were checking oil level at time of photo)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
thanks Dave.

I have no doubt about the car design etc, I do like the Golf and am pretty familiar with the 2.0 ABA, particularly Motronic 2.9 OBD1 but I'm concerned that the low rear end might indicate a structural rust issue with the rear "axle" beam. The way it was parked, I couldn't view the underside. And since the rad fan switch has been disconnected a while, I'd assume the engine has been run hot at times; it didn't sound that healthy. Had a bit of a light rumble to it. I'd be curious of the head condition.

But for sure. I did check rockauto and ya, parts are cheap. Ha! Very inexpensive pads!

I do have a line on a $400 '94 Golf with manual windows, non-op previously leaky sunroof and 2.0 ABA. It has some issues but drives. The engine looks like it was maintained. (they were checking oil level at time of photo)

Hi Neil. I don't check in on this forum all that regularly. Did you end up buying either of those Mk3 Golfs?

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 Golf GTI: Anything Special? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

I have no doubt about the car design etc, I do like the Golf and am pretty familiar with the 2.0 ABA, particularly Motronic 2.9 OBD1 .....

Hi Neil. I don't check in on this forum all that regularly. Did you end up buying either of those Mk3 Golfs?

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Dave.

No, didn't buy either. The '94 Golf was promising but the owner kept asking me to limit the test drive distance even though it had road insurance (was insured). Brakes didn't grab well (possibly due to rotor rust but master cylinder was just replaced so....), rotors were scored pretty bad, it pulled to right engine started fine but had a clack at first start. IIRC, they started the engine so I didn't watch the oil light. Oh and the 'leaking oil cap' might well have been something more like a valve cover gasket. Easy fix but when I sense a car is misprepresented by seller, I stay away. These Mk3's are old. I have to remember that. And as an aside, I think there's a reason why a company like FAS would be using Mk4 or later engines for their engine swap platforms.

Living in the past,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: