Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Check the wires going to the license plate light on the inside of the decklid, the fan likes to eat them.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Check the wires going to the license plate light on the inside of the decklid, the fan likes to eat them.

Thanks for the tip; it turns out that some connections have just degraded. I plan to cut out and replace them soon.

---------------------------------------

I didn't get a chance to get on yesterday and say it, but... yesterday made it ten years since I joined TheSamba after browsing for years before that! Thank you to everyone who has supported me and answered my many, many questions throughout the decade. And before you ask...yes, my ignorant first post did ask how to post pictures. Very Happy What a different era of life that was!

---------------------------------------

I have never heard a Beetle with the infamous buzzer, so I decided that Beetlebaum should join the club of Beetles rocking the obnoxious sound. Very Happy To that end, I cleaned up the original (and not reproduced!) four-prong door switch with contact cleaner. It restored continuity when the switch is open, but I have to wiggle it with my finger to make it work when I open the door. I figure that it just needs further cleaning, so I'll do that when the wires aren't as stiff from the cold as they are today.

Beetlebaum doesn't have a buzzer, so that's on my list of parts to acquire and install at some point. Unfortunately, my aftermarket seat belts don't have the wiring in them, so I can't make the whole seat belt warning light and buzzer system work properly. Crying or Very sad Maybe someday.

Anyway, that's it for today.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:

I have never heard a Beetle with the infamous buzzer, so I decided that Beetlebaum should join the club of Beetles rocking the obnoxious sound. Very Happy To that end, I cleaned up the original (and not reproduced!) four-prong door switch with contact cleaner. ......

Anyway, that's it for today.

Looks a little different, but I found this and replaced my driver's side door switch.

Grounds through the mounting screw so you only need the dome light 'feed' wire and the jumper going over to the passenger switch.

Then the buzzer 'feed'

Then just stuff the dedicated ground wires back into the A-pillar (don't need them with this switch)

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113947561H.html?gcli...gIZwfD_BwE
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I figured out last night that the previous owner removed parts of the buzzer circuit, so I have to sort that out. One of my local VW friends gave me his Beetle's old buzzer, and I have to say...that thing is obnoxious! It's going to be great to have mine tell me when the key is in the ignition with the door open. I am also looking to make it tell me when I open the door is open with the lights on, but that one seems to be a bit challenging to rig.

------------------------------------

I spoke to the local VW mechanic today again about getting Beetlebaum to him to get the tunnel welded. He hasn't officially said yes about doing it--he has said more of a "we'll see", but I definitely want the tunnel welded by a proper VW guru. That patch is the biggest obstacle to the car passing inspection.

Today I also lubricated the door locks for the first time ever (WOW, what a difference), checked whether the lower head bolts for cylinders 3 and 4 are still tight (they are!), adjusted the driver's wiper arm, and cleaned out the interior of the car after years of various projects and parts piling up.

Here's the list of the things which I need to do before running the car through inspection:

-The tunnel patch
-Replacing the rotted fuel filler neck
-Get the license plate light working consistently
-Replace the hoses to the charcoal canister (Virginia state safety inspection guidelines say that all emissions systems must be installed and hooked up)
-Safety wire the carburetor fuel hose barb in place
-Figure out whether the oil lines need to be sheathed to protect from the exhaust heat
-Check the torque on the rocker arm assembly for cylinders 3 & 4
-Check and adjust steering play
-Check all wheel bolts for proper torque
-And install the surprise! (And if I need a fun project, I'll wire in the buzzer)

I decided to put pressure on myself and get an appointment for inspection for the end of the month. Beetlebaum's inspection appointment is for the 27th of December. Let's do this. Twisted Evil
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

You're in Virginia... worst case scenario if it fails inspection you can throw a set of antique plates on it and call it a day.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
You're in Virginia... worst case scenario if it fails inspection you can throw a set of antique plates on it and call it a day.

The main reason that I haven't made Beetlebaum an antique is that having to pass inspection keeps me honest and makes me not drive the car when it shouldn't be on the road. Very Happy Also, speaking of Virginia, have you ever been to the Bug Out?

-----------------------------------------

Woo, worked on Beetlebaum again today! I checked the rocker arm assembly torque and reset the valves AGAIN, and now Beetlebaum idles really low, almost like he's running only on three cylinders. Ugh. I'll recheck the valves again tomorrow and sort out a leak from the valve cover gasket.

I also replaced one of the hoses to the charcoal canister, as the original hose had started shredding every time that I touched it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice braided hose!

Okay, important question...my brother used safety wire to secure the fuel inlet on the carb and the square-headed screw on the shifter coupler. Are these connections good to go? Do you see any red flags in these pictures?

It pays to have a relative in the aeronautical industry. Very Happy

Tomorrow: sort out the valve cover leak, fix the brake warning light, and install the buzzer and make it work. I'm thinking that I'll rig it so that it lets me know when I open the door while the key is in the ignition and when the lights are on with the door open.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

A bit more progress!

I rigged the buzzer with a relay so that it buzzes if I open the door with the lights on. (Unfortunately I wired it incorrectly, so it only buzzes with the passenger door right now; I'll deal with that issue when it stops raining.) And because I'm a glutton for punishment--how else could you explain me spending so much time fixing this junkyard car?--I wired it all in red until I can find or buy black and brown wire.

Here it is in action, buzzing with the passenger door open:

Link

I also figured out that the electrical portion of the ignition switch wasn't made for working with the buzzer, so I popped open the switch and changed the little metal tabs so that they ground when the key is in the ignition. Now the metal tab connects to the key lock tumbler when the key is inserted (see the bottom picture); previously the metal tab was on the inside and connected to a 12v power source. If you open your ignition switch, look out for the springs and small metal components!

Anyway, it's raining hard here and pretty cold, so I'm going to hold off on finishing the buzzer wiring and switches until tomorrow afternoon when the weather passes.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Got the buzzer working how I want it today, and darn near gave myself a heart attack from the surprise when I put the key in the ignition and had the buzzer turn on nice and loud. Awesome. Very Happy The open door/lights on buzzer relay system works flawlessly; I'm happy with how it turned out.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out why my brake warning light won't work properly; the system has to have a short somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. I haven't ruled out the brake warning light itself having a problem.

Likewise, I tried to get the seat belt warning light partially functional, and instead the darn thing is shot. Oh well. I would like to figure out how to work with the diodes and capacitor on it and get the light working again.

And today Beetlebaum didn't want to run; he fired up and then stalled. I'm thinking that I did something wrong with my recent valve adjustment and will get down to business with that whole question once I get the electrical stuff sorted out.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:

The main reason that I haven't made Beetlebaum an antique is that having to pass inspection keeps me honest and makes me not drive the car when it shouldn't be on the road. Very Happy Also, speaking of Virginia, have you ever been to the Bug Out?

Makes sense. And yes, I usually go to Bugout when I can, I've been going off and on since the 90s!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Beetlebaum wrote:

Makes sense. And yes, I usually go to Bugout when I can, I've been going off and on since the 90s!

Sweet--I'll look for you next time that I go! I couldn't make it this year, but hopefully in 2019 I can go.

------------------------------------------

OKAY SO, BACK TO THE BEETLEBAUM DRAMA...

This darn car is a COMPLETE PAIN in the rear. Today I set the points, timing, and carb, and the car runs like garbage. (I don't know whether to suspect a vacuum leak, so I'll check that tomorrow or Friday.) I also discovered a new short in the turn signal/tail light electrics, so back to the multi-meter I go. Evil or Very Mad

So, here's the deal:

The car is running low on gas, but he should have enough to run...at least in theory. He is reliably unreliable. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, after adjusting the points and the timing, the car didn't want to idle and kept backfiring through the carb. So instead of static timing like I was, I set the maximum advance to 28-30ish degrees. Cool. But then the car idled like this...(watch the end of the video to hear how he currently runs)

Link

And then I finally put two and two together,looked through my records, and realized that I had had Rimco build me a stroker motor with a 110 cam. Shocked (I didn't know what a stroker was back in 2012 and apparently asked them to build a semi-performance motor by accident.) Could that be why the car always sounds like it has a non-stock cam...because it actually does? (I'm asking--I'm not sure if I'm over-imagining the effect that the 110 cam could have?)

Here are the details:
-H30/31 carburetor (jets were changed)
-Original DVDA distributor (running as an SVDA, because the retard side leaks vacuum)
-85.5 mm pistons

If I'm correct, then maybe my car's funny-car-like idle is a result of that cam. Or am I missing something else entirely? (I pulled the spark plug wires off the distributor and know that the car is running on all four cylinders.)

What do you think?
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Geez I thought it was funny good😂 is it already warmed up by the time you took the video? It does sound like a cam to me tho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Btw I've seen motorcycles that run worse than that brand new. They even have to push the clutch in when driving it to rev it up to keep it going while it's going! Then at a stop light keep revving it up since its gonna die at any moment. Then rev it up and shut it off so it may start next time. I've never had to rev a car up to keep it going while it's going .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Ideally my car would run well and not need special attention just to idle or to run at speed. Laughing If the cam is what causes this wild loping in the idle, then I feel vindicated in my struggles through the past five years with this engine and trying to get it to idle as smoothly as I thought that it should as a stock motor (which, given that it's not stock, would explain a ton).

Or, as the Twelfth Doctor on Doctor Who once said, "I am...an idiot!" I'm both pleased to hear that the idle could be from the cam and frustrated with myself for having gotten this cam in the first place. Laughing
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

I'm no expert but that's what it looks like to me! I like it. It looks like no hesitation when you hit the throttle that is what is important . Anyhow it's cool.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:

Sweet--I'll look for you next time that I go! I couldn't make it this year, but hopefully in 2019 I can go.

Right on! I don't think I ever mentioned that I also have a Sumatra green 73 Super...

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Sweet; I'll have to look for your car at the next Bug Out! Very Happy

-----------------------------------------

Beetlebaum spent the last six days at the mechanic--only the second time he has ever stayed away from home overnight (he's growing up!)--getting his tunnel properly welded.

Today he came home, but it's raining like crazy, so I have no pictures to share. With that said, however, I did get the fuel tank re-installed. I also hooked up new fuel lines but will redo them tomorrow, moving the fuel filter from next to the transmission up to underneath the fuel tank.

Here's the shortened version of the expanded list of repairs needed and the plan for the next few days:

Friday, December 21st:
-Finish fuel system
-Check and adjust brakes
-Seal the heat risers (the aftermarket one has a leak, I think)
-Sort out the tail light and turn signal short

Saturday, December 22nd:
-Complete the rest of the mechanical repairs
-Complete the rest of the bodywork
-Fuel up at the gas station

Sunday, December 23rd:
-Clean the car, inside and out
-Another test run

After those things are completed, I should have everything completed for inspection. We'll see.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Today, Beetlebaum did something he hasn't done in seven years: he stranded me somewhere.

As far as I can tell, I just ran out of gas. I'll get more gas tomorrow and see if it solves his problem. I was driving along when the engine suddenly dropped low in RPMs and then died. He'll start just a bit, so I know that I'm getting ignition. Oh well. Very Happy I had to push him a few blocks back to the house.

I also finished up the fuel lines, readjusted the brakes, and somehow sorted out the turn signal problem. I accidentally shorted out the cigarette lighter, and now the lights work, but I don't know if there's any real correlation there or not. Either way: I'm not touching the cigarette lighter until after inspection if the lights keep working!

Tomorrow I hope to get most of the rest of the problems sorted out. He's close...or at least will be if the running problem was just him running out of fuel!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Go man go
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Alright, no pictures, but updates nevertheless:

Except for small details, and as far as I can tell, the car is ready for inspection!! Surprised

I tested the flaps and thermostat; they operate beautifully.

Also, it turns out that the car didn't run out of fuel; I bought three or so gallons of gas and got nothing at the carb. I eventually figured out that the fuel pump had fallen apart; the rod which holds the little actuator inside the pump had slid out to one side, and the internals just fell apart. Good thing that happened when I was on a back street and not on a major thoroughfare! Shocked

With Christmas upon us, I knew that I had to act quickly to get a new pump, so, $46 later at the only local VW shop open on Saturdays, I have another crappy Brosol pump in there. Whatever; as long as it works, I'm happy. The design of the new one is better too: it has little circlips to make sure that the rod doesn't slide out this time.

Anyway, I replaced the pump, pulled the top off of the carburetor, and filled the float bowl with gas. Now the car runs again.

Tomorrow I'll let the engine run for a while to make sure that the bowl doesn't empty again. It shouldn't. I even pulled the fuel line off the carb when the engine was running and got fuel everywhere--all the way across to the passenger tail light--so I know that the pump has pressure. Not my best idea. Very Happy

Anyway, either tomorrow afternoon or on Monday I'll take Beetlebaum on a run to the gas station to see if he runs well enough for that trip and to make sure that the fuel delivery issue is gone, and then he's ready for Thursday's inspection! I can't wait for this seven year hiatus to end!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Today I spent some time washing the car and vacuuming the interior.

The timing is a few degrees too advanced, but Beetlebaum idles rough with the time retarded too much. I'll sort that out over the next few days.

Tomorrow I hope to take him out to get his first tank of fuel since February. We'll see how that goes.

Also, I keep having parts failing from age; the distributor clamp bent out of shape, allowing the rotor shaft to stop spinning when I was working with the timing, but I've fixed the issue now. That problem, coupled with the fuel pump issue from the other day, make me a bit apprehensive of my test run tomorrow, but I have to know how he does with a short run before the seven-mile drive to the inspection station!

Four days left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: