Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

It is highly unlikely that the stock cam is in good enough shape to reuse. Unlike the type 1 cams they have a bad reputation for early failure. I think it has a lot to do with how the opposing lifters overlap in the center of the cam lobe. The type 1 is not designed that way. Just my guess...

I put one from Web Cam in my engine. I will not quote the cam number until I look it up but it was advertised as a good street cam 2500 to 5500 rpm range. To be quite honest it sounds and drives so smooth it would be hard to convince anyone that it is an aftermarket cam at all. No lumpy idle even right down to 600 rpm. I have the rev limiter set at 5000 rpm right now and it is still pulling strong at that point.

Yes by all means get rid of that stock smog cam if you can!

P.S. keep all the bearings in their proper order and reuse them if you can, the after market ones are pretty sketchy on fit and quality these days. Mine were not reusable not because of wear but because of excessive amounts of dirt imbedded in them.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

The engine was factory rebuilt by VW/Audi Canada at some point, so the bottom end should be a little fresher.

From what I've been reading seems like the web 100 or 110 are pretty common, and give you a little more RPM.

I've ordered a copy of "how to hot rod VW engines", so I'm going to wait for that before I start ordering parts.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

You are listing cams for a Type 1 engine, not a T4. They aren't interchangeable. You'll want to ditch the FI cam anyway - or have it reground if possible.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

I have a version of the "How to Hotrod VW Engines" , it has been a while since I looked at it but I do not recall there being anything type 4 related in it. Maybe newer versions did or I missed it. Never the less there is lots of good air cooled stuff in there.

Here is the spec sheet for my cam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

@oprn - Thanks for posting your cam specs. Just to clarify: Are these the specs for the same cam you said the following about?

oprn wrote:
... it sounds and drives so smooth ... No lumpy idle even right down to 600 rpm ...

Smooth low idle is a goal I'd love to achieve for my buggy, but the closest I'm getting is just being able to have low idle without stalling and without hesitation upon acceleration. Good enough, and the lumpyness lets me know she's still running, but I wish I could smooth it out. Could it be my cam? I've always suspected it, even tho I was told its supposed to be a "mild street cam" at the time I bought it. The price was right and a cam was all I needed at the time (1991) in order to close up the H case (was anxious to complete the 1600dp I was building from 1500sp) and get my buggy back on the road with a new engine build. Didn't complete the build until 1992, but that same engine with the AP-2 cam is still running as a daily driver today. Cam specs:

Seems to have a slightly longer duration with way less lift than your Type 4. Mine is Type 1 (with Type 3 carbs, another suspect).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

Yes that is the same cam. I am certainly no expert on cams for VWs as all my VW engines to this point have had stock cams but to me it does not idle like a performance cam at all. I was thinking perhaps there was a mistake but it pulls hard all the way to the 5000 rpm that I have set in the rev limiter now. No stumbles or flat spots at all. No sign of the torque diminishing at that speed either, it feels like it wants more speed yet so I may raise it another 500 rpm.

The type 1 engine that came in the Buggy had an Engle Cams sticker on the fan housing, idled on 2 cylinders and ran like a turd below 2500 rpm. To make a long story short I dumped the 009 and dual cannons, got the best carb linkage adjustment and idle mixture possible on the dual Kadrons, installed a thermostat with all the related flaps and linkage and it was a whole different engine. Each change made a difference. It still had a rough idle due to the carbs but ran reasonably well otherwise. It ran out of poop at about 4500 rpm which tells me that the cam sticker was for show.

Yes it could be your carbs. Dual single barrel carbs on an air cooled VW engine are known to give idle issues especially as the throttle shafts wear. It could also be exhaust, initial timing, bad distributor, plugs, coil, plug wires or uneven compression readings or a combination of several of the above.

You may have already checked all that though.

Hope this helps. Merv
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
You are listing cams for a Type 1 engine, not a T4. They aren't interchangeable. You'll want to ditch the FI cam anyway - or have it reground if possible.

Yea, you're probably right, might have gotten confused, was previously researching rebuilding my 1600DP

I've got the hydraulic lifters, so the Cam is supposed to last a lot longer. I'l have to take a look when I tear it down. Also not sure I want to split the case, being already rebuilt, and the bottom end on the Type 4 is supposed to be pretty bullet proof.

I think my compression issue may have been from the head gaskets being used... One of them was delaminating when I pulled it out. Could also be rings. And the head of one valve looks cracked.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:

Yea, you're probably right, might have gotten confused, was previously researching rebuilding my 1600DP

I've got the hydraulic lifters, so the Cam is supposed to last a lot longer. I'l have to take a look when I tear it down. Also not sure I want to split the case, being already rebuilt, and the bottom end on the Type 4 is supposed to be pretty bullet proof.

I think my compression issue may have been from the head gaskets being used... One of them was delaminating when I pulled it out. Could also be rings. And the head of one valves looks cracked, although on the cylinder with almost twice the compression as the other 3.
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

What are you guys running for headers on the T4? I don't see much out there
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up a Type4 which trans and carbs Reply with quote

There are systems out there but they are limited in application and generally a bit expensive. I was on a bit of a budget so I retained the stock cooling system which limited my choices even further. I was stuck with the stock Bus exhaust system being my only real option.

The solution for me was to build my own. I was torn between a 4 into 1 system, tri Y or duals. I love the traditional look and sound of duals but not the way they perform so I redesigned my system to eliminate the inherent problems that the conventional duals have.

I am pretty pleased with the results.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: