Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft doesn't turn.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

I am a newbie. I am completely rebuilding a 65 type 2 engine.

I have bought new bearing (crank and cam), new crank shaft, new connecting rods and rod bearings.

Everything spins when the case is split. Everything seems to fit fine.

When I put the cases together the crankshaft doesn't want to turn.

Any Ideas??
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Swap the old bearings in and see what happens.
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Swap the old bearings in and see what happens.

Even thought I put a new crank shaft in? When I opened up the case originally the crank shaft was completely sheared.

I'll have to find them, but I'll replace them.

Thank you.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

ˇBienvenido a la Samba!
A broken crank will thrash the main saddles somewhat, but an align-bore usually cleans it up. Make sure the bearing set shows the correct oversize.
Suggest tearing it open, measure all the main journals & bearings, then report back here.
Might also have an unseated #1 main bearing - look for damage on it's locating pin hole. This kinda goof will lock them up every time:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
ˇBienvenido a la Samba!
Tear it open, measure all the journals & bearings & report back here.
Might also have a misaligned #1 main bearing - look for damage on it's locating pin hole:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll do that. It's going to be tough to do it today as I'm in the middle of a snow storm in NC. I will take the measurements.

Thank you
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

As mentioned above one of the things that occurs most is bearing shell missed the indexing pin and you crushed the bearing on pin during case assembly ... If bearing is crushed, its toast.....

Usually what I do is before setting crank, is set the bearing separate and being sure its seated properly in saddle I mark bearing shell at case line either with felt marker or slight scribe line from sharp blade...IF when setting crank, you do not see the scribe line set properly on case half it means bearing/pin combination is not set properly....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

New or reground crank? either way check for straightness had a reground crank once that was bent a little, just enough to prevent easy turning when case bolted together.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Is your distributor drive gear installed with no distributor? That can cause rotation issues too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

The most common rooky mistake is the locating pin one already mentioned.

However it would be rare in my limited experience for a case to be reusable that has had a crankshaft break in it. Check and measure that case every way to Sunday!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

I wouldn't attempt a rebuild without a known quality line bored used case (rare these days) or a known quality new case. The bearing dowels, crank, bearings themselves etc, should be 100% also. But, start with the case. Otherwise, as Jerry Jeff Walker said, you are "just pissin' in the wind."

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Quote:
Usually what I do is before setting crank, is set the bearing separate and being sure its seated properly in saddle I mark bearing shell at case line either with felt marker or slight scribe line from sharp blade...IF when setting crank, you do not see the scribe line set properly on case half it means bearing/pin combination is not set properly....

This method is very easy and effective to notice during assembly.

I've also found that a single dowel pin was slightly too long, so that its tip would press against the inner end of the dowel pin hole in the main bearing slightly. The crank would spin fine when the case was open, but the added pressure of the longer pin would cause a pinch of the bearing against the crank journal and stop the crank from spinning when the case was bolted together and torqued. Took some trial and error to find the actual cause. To fix that, I think I just gripped the dowel pin with vise grips and held the tip to the side of the bench grinder wheel to shorten it about a millimeter.

Ever since then, I take the sliding shaft end of a dial caliper, hold it next to the pin in the case to get the exposed height of the pin, then hold the shaft end into the bearing hole. If the caliper shaft still has some clearance, the dowel pin fit is fine.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Reasons for crankshaft not spinning = Pinched bearing/s, or the linebore was too tight, wrong bearings. Unlikely the crank was wrong dimension. Or...the camshaft gear was too big. Or you put the wrong size rod bearings. Or too tight or bottomed out end play.

Now, which one do you think you did?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Reasons for crankshaft not spinning = Pinched bearing/s, or the linebore was too tight, wrong bearings. Unlikely the crank was wrong dimension. Or...the camshaft gear was too big. Or you put the wrong size rod bearings. Or too tight or bottomed out end play.

Or a bent crank. Yes, highly unlikely, new crank, but stranger things have happened, and a lot can happen between China and you.

My money is on the case, with the broken crank and all...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
As mentioned above one of the things that occurs most is bearing shell missed the indexing pin and you crushed the bearing on pin during case assembly ... If bearing is crushed, its toast.....

Dale

^^^
Do this during the assembly, then also spin the crank as you tighten up the nuts. I tighten the 6 mains and turn the crank during each one at each level of tigthness. Same goes for the 8mm studs and bolts on the exterior case flange.

If at anytime it gets tight, back up and figure out what is happening.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Or a bent crank. Yes, highly unlikely, new crank, but stranger things have happened, and a lot can happen between China and you.

My money is on the case, with the broken crank and all...

The original crank broke and the current new crank spins on one half but not when the case is together? Then the most likely explanation is that the case twisted causing the bore to be slightly misaligned. Try to install the new cam and cam bearings. If it doesn't turn or is very difficult, then this is it. You will need to have the case align bored(sometimes the same size works but you may have to go up a size) and the cam bore needs to be honed. This is very common when the crank breaks.

Also, double check to make sure the case alignments pins on the corners of the case didn't fall out. If they did, it will have the same effect.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

The original crank broke and the current new crank spins on one half but not when the case is together? Then the most likely explanation is that the case twisted causing the bore to be slightly misaligned. Try to install the new cam and cam bearings. If it doesn't turn or is very difficult, then this is it. You will need to have the case align bored(sometimes the same size works but you may have to go up a size) and the cam bore needs to be honed. This is very common when the crank breaks.

Also, double check to make sure the case alignments pins on the corners of the case didn't fall out. If they did, it will have the same effect.

To add to Roy's idea about the same size re-align bore, you'd be wise to marker up/Dychem Blue the main bearing bores if you want to try to get away with the same size, just to make sure you aren't cutting heavy on one side of the bore and making an oval hole for one of your mains.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

It's a good idea to back the bar up and run it through twice. Your second pass always takes a whisp off. Possibly from altering the feed path.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Removing and reinstalling an align-bore tool will never cut perfectly on the same center as the original cut.

The original poster said he purchased a new crankshaft... Was it a rebuilt (re-ground) crank?

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

You don't remove and reinstall it, you just pull the bar back and cut again.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft doesn't turn. Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

I'm pretty sure I misaligned it. That's a good tip for round 2
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: