Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

I am looking at replacing my factory pee shooter exhaust in my 1600 SP engine with heater boxes (which I would like to retain). I would like something quiet but with a nice tone and possibly even add a few HPs. I am looking at a single quiet pack. Anyone have a recommendation other than a quiet pack? I thought about the GT but that does not seem to get many good reviews, infact it has been tested to actually reduce power output. Also one other want is I am considering next year sometime replacing my engine with a 1915, is there any exhaust that I could use on both engines? Or will I need to buy two different exhaust systems?
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

My favorite for stock-ish engines up to 2 litre is the Tri-Mil hotdog muffler.
It still has 2 nice tips sticking out of the stock locations, but it is impeccable in quality, and sounds great!
I went the cheap route recently, and bought the galvanized IAP GT muffler off Rockauto.com, and I already wish I had just spent the money for the Tri-Mil muffler, although the IAP piece looks very nice for the low price of $67, and might not rust as quick as the shitty EMPI stuff I've had in the past.
I liked the look and sound of the EMPI Monza GT exhaust, but that POS rusted like crazy in a very short time.
For power, It's hard to beat a nice merged header with a glasspack or stinger, but it may be too loud for you.
My 1904 has the header/stinger setup, and without a baffle installed, that stinger is one obnoxious mofo, yet somehow remains quite awesome, haha.
YMMV
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

If I buy one of these 'expendable' mufflers, is there something I can spray paint it with to increase its life expectancy? This muffler is not for a 'daily driver' ...but a "Sunday driver" .....
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

The Tri-Mil exhausts are all available with a ceramic coating, which will last many years on a car that isn't driven daily.
Technically, you could have any exhaust you like sandblasted and ceramic coated, but this will obviously make any cheap exhaust not so cheap.
There are ceramic based spray paints that cure with heat and will help with longevity, some available at regular auto parts stores, and better ones may be available elsewhere.
Or you could spend some real money on a stainless exhaust that my last a lifetime, as long as it's quality and the welds don't break.
In Theory, the galvanized muffler I bought from Rockauto should last longer than the average mild steel unit, by nature of its outer zinc coating.
Time will tell, and I'm almost certain I'll be ordering a Tri-Mil exhaust within a year or two, and I plan to have my merged header ceramic coated by the local powdercoaters.
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
My favorite for stock-ish engines up to 2 litre is the Tri-Mil hotdog muffler.
It still has 2 nice tips sticking out of the stock locations, but it is impeccable in quality, and sounds great!
I went the cheap route recently, and bought the galvanized IAP GT muffler off Rockauto.com, and I already wish I had just spent the money for the Tri-Mil muffler, although the IAP piece looks very nice for the low price of $67, and might not rust as quick as the shitty EMPI stuff I've had in the past.
I liked the look and sound of the EMPI Monza GT exhaust, but that POS rusted like crazy in a very short time.
For power, It's hard to beat a nice merged header with a glasspack or stinger, but it may be too loud for you.
My 1904 has the header/stinger setup, and without a baffle installed, that stinger is one obnoxious mofo, yet somehow remains quite awesome, haha.
YMMV

Would the tri mill hotdog muffler work for a 1915 engine? I would like to only purchase one muffler if at all possible.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

It would work just fine, especially if your 1915 isn't a big power race engine with big valve heads, huge cam, IDA's, etc...
I've run one with a 2110 and it ran great, but probably left some power on the table compare to a merged header.
It is a good option if you want a freer flowing exhaust and want to keep your stock heater boxes.
Tri-Mil claims it flows as good as a merged header with a single quiet pack.
If you want to maintain your ground clearance, and have adequate flow, and a good sound, most exhausts are going to sacrifice at least a negligible amount of power.
If you only want to buy one setup, but you want it to last, the ceramic coated tri-mil hotdog is a good option.
Most cheap headers will rust like crazy.
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
It would work just fine, especially if your 1915 isn't a big power race engine with big valve heads, huge cam, IDA's, etc...
I've run one with a 2110 and it ran great, but probably left some power on the table compare to a merged header.
It is a good option if you want a freer flowing exhaust and want to keep your stock heater boxes.
If you want to maintain your ground clearance, and have adequate flow, and a good sound, most exhausts are going to sacrifice at least a negligible amount of power.
If you only want to buy one setup, but you want it to last, the ceramic coated tri-mil hotdog is a good option.

Where is a good place to purchase one from? I am in Northern California. And assuming this would be a step up from the Empi GT exhaust I take it? If I order with heat risers I would think I could plug them off if installed on engine later with dual carbs?

Last edited by Fman on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

How well does the heat work with the tri mill hot dog? As good as stock? Thanks.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

If you have performance heads and dual 2 barrel carbs on the 1915, ideally you should run an 1.5" merged exhaust. And you really have to have a heater, run 1.5" heater boxes as well. Something from A1, Al`s headers would be best. At the least, I would recommend a 1.5" Vintage Speed exhaust with 1.5" heater boxes. These are not the cheapest way to go, but are the best. A 1 3/8 " exhaust (Especially one of those hot dog ones) and stock heater boxes will choke that engine way down.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust recommendations for 1600 SP Reply with quote

Fman wrote:
thechief86 wrote:

Where is a good place to purchase one from? I am in Northern California. And assuming this would be a step up from the Empi GT exhaust I take it? If I order with heat risers I would think I could plug them off if installed on engine later with dual carbs?

Tri-mil sells them direct from their website, and yes, you can always block off the heat risers later on.
The heat always worked fine for me on anything I've kept the stock heat exchangers on.
Yes, a high performance engine will leave some power untapped with stock diameter exhausts. But a mildly built engine even at 1915cc can work just fine.
Horsepower costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: