Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
karush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Hello, I have a manual vanagon powered by a 1z tdi with a Land rover 300tdi pump set at 1.5 mm lift. intercooled k03 turbo set at 15psi max. I'm looking for economy/longevity and low smoke.. what nozzles would be best for me? Thanks, Paolo.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Hi!
Thats the closest to the LRs original nozzles. Can be a bit smoky but thats a pump for a 2.5L engine
With smaller nozzles the injection duration will be too long and stresses the pump.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

I've got a LR pump as well and just got a set of injectors back from the local Bosch certified rebuilder this week but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. I opted for the Bosio DLC 520 (ULSD RATED) nozzles. I may be able to install them today but am happy to report back after I get them swapped in and go for a test drive.

Did you turn the fuel screw on your pump from stock settings?
karush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for the responses.
ZSZ, what bar are your 502s set at, 220? Would you say that they smoke more at start up or load conditions?
could you talk more about how a longer injection is bad for the pump.
IBUPRROFEN, I'm not sure where the max fuel screw is set at compared to stock. I have it set so that I never can get more than 1200 pre turbo egts. Let me know how the 520s work out.
I own a pop tester and have seen on you tube how it's possible to test the secondary pop pressure. Something about changing the internals around. If anyone has specifics about exactly how this is done that would be great. Thanks, Paolo.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Im not sure what pressure to set as mine was did by my diesel guy when he rebuilt my Fiat Croma pump.
The Fiat 2.45mm camplate was changed to the 1Z's 3.0mm one, the head is still the Fiats 11mm. (I used the factory 2.45x11 croma pump with original 1Z injectors for 10 years without issues as the max plunger volume is the same as the 1Z 3.0x10)
The LR has a campate around 2.6mm but as I remember it has 12mm head so much higher max volume
Not exactly the duration is the bad but the long lasting and much higher pressure is what is caused by the smaller orifice. It increases wear on the camplate, the rollers and the housing where the roller pins are touching. Just higher forces are there because you want to push the same amount of fuel through smaller holes.
More smoke can appear both at startup and full load but that is controllable with the max fuel screw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Hello. Im pretty sure all stock Land Rover 200/300 tdi pumps are 11mm. Not sure on the lift but it's pretty mild. What are the down sides to using large nozzles besides smoke. Would my little ko3 turbo not be able to flow enough air to keep the egts down.? I'm not going for power just durability and efficiency. paolo.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

LR pumps are 11mm. I run 764 nozzles on mine with a K14 turbo from an MB. A little more smoke than I'd like, but lots of power.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

The stock TDI pumps fitted to vehicles with automatic transmissions were 11mm. The stock pump fitted to manual transmission vehicles was 10mm. The injectors fitted to vehicles with manual transmissions actually flowed more than the automatic injectors. The Land Rove pump has an 11mm plunger and fairly mild camplate. Either set of stock nozzles will work fine with the LR pump although my preference would be those from a manual trans vehicle.

For a K03 running 15 psi of max boost I would not go above stock nozzles.

Going larger than necessary will give more smoke and also shorten the injection event and cause the engine to have more pronounced diesel clatter.

If you are planning on increasing boost above stock the LR pump certainly had the fueling potential to match quite a bit of increase and in that case, fitting larger nozzles would make sense. The descriptions of injectors on various vendor sites like ID Parts, or Kerma will give a decent description of what nozzles are a decent match to what boost pressure from what turbo.
karush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

Hello, OK so eithe the boost levels in running it doesn't make sense to with larger than stock nozzles.
My injector bodies are from a 1996 Passat 1z, so should I go with DSLA 150p706 (.170mm), or DSLA150p357/442 (.185mm). They were both stock on 90hp manual cars. Are these stock nozzles to be set for 190 bar? Thanks, Paolo.
karush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What nozzles for a 1Z mTDI? Reply with quote

karush wrote:
Hello, OK so at the boost levels im running it doesn't make sense to go with larger than stock nozzles.
My injector bodies are from a 1996 Passat 1z, so should I go with DSLA 150p706 (.170mm), or DSLA150p357/442 (.185mm). They were both stock on 90hp manual cars. Are these stock nozzles to be set at 190 bar? Thanks, Paolo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: