Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peloquin visual cues?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

Are there any visual cues that a Peloquin TBD has been installed (2WD manual transmission)?

I can't imagine that there are (other than peeled rubber from the pavement side when the other side is on snow).

I need to know how big of a Peloquin sticker I need for my window. Very Happy

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Peloquin should include a little brass dogtag with the Peloquin logo on it, that the installer puts under the head of a bolt. I suggested this to Gary Peloquin years ago and he liked the idea, but not sure he ever went thru with it.

Is your goal to determine if a van has a Peloquin by observing how it drives?

You need to find gravel/dirt lot that is somewhat packed, but leaves a visible tire print. Turn a full circle at full steering lock - kind of "coasting" - not pushing. The Peloquin should be unlocked, differentiating, like an open diff in this condition. Stop and observe the rear tire tracks. They should look like the van is just "rolling".

Then do a 2nd loop but this time gas it a little. You should hear the inner rear tire scrubbing and see the marks on the gravel. This it not a burnout per se, it's the inner rear wheel turning at the same speed as the outer wheel, which is faster than ground speed. It's "locked." The outer rear wheel is just 'rolling' - whereas the inner rear wheel is going faster than the ground speed. The tire tread moved 3 inches but the ground moved 2 inches below it. You can see the dirt moved rearward (in the tire track). And a savvy passenger/helper can get out and watch too, can see the inner tire going faster than ground speed. This is not spinning brodies, its a gentle maneuver.

<edit> My Peloquin-equipped transaxle has been "out" for awhile so I'm going on memory. But if you drive in a tight circle on gravel/dirt you can vary the throttle between "coasting" and "on" and the Peloquin will lock and unlock. You can 'feel/hear' the difference between rolling and scrubbing (= locked). And you can see the difference in the tire tracks. I wish I could take a pic - maybe next spring I'll be re-peloquine'd Wink .

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

My first goal is entirely trivial (it's nice to see stuff that one spends a lot of money on). Maybe I'll need to hang it from the rear view mirror. Very Happy

I just received a heavy box with a Peloquin to be installed in my van and it's going to disappear into the transaxle. I guess that's part of the purpose of stickers (but I usually put the stickers where they're not easily seen...like in a toolbox drawer).

And yes, I'm also interested learning what I can expect from it. I've read every thread but your description below is helpful. I'm looking forward to some increased traction!

This thread has been very helpful as well:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

I do like the dog tag idea for hidden mods (non-stock pistons, cams, gear ratios, etc.) to cars and motorcycles.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
My first goal is entirely trivial

lol

the best thing is just to forget that it's there and one day you'll randomly feel it engage and remember "oh yeah, the peloquin" Cool
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

You'll love it.

We sure miss having one.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

You'll know its there every time you are able to get off that slippery wet grass in the morning!! Laughing

And if you're like me, you'll challenge its abilities on dirt/gravel/snow for a while to see what you can do with the van now, then go back to driving normally. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

I can tell mine is there by the smile on my face.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

To be sure, lift the back of the van, rotate any rear wheel in any direction -> the wheel on the other side must rotate in the same way, if you have a peloquin.

On a normal differential you rotate one wheel, and the other side rotates in the opposite direction...
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Vilas69 wrote:
To be sure, lift the back of the van, rotate any rear wheel in any direction -> the wheel on the other side must rotate in the same way, if you have a peloquin.

On a normal differential you rotate one wheel, and the other side rotates in the opposite direction...

This is how mine behaves. In fact it is a little difficult to rotate the whole assembly, while the one-wheel-drive is pretty easy.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Vilas69 wrote:

This is how mine behaves. In fact it is a little difficult to rotate the whole assembly, while the one-wheel-drive is pretty easy.

Exactly, the Peloquin is way harder to rotate than a open differential Wink
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

As for visual cues, one of my customers once told me, "We stuff 'em down our pants when we first get 'em, and people notice .. ;^ )
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Gotta be a Zappa lyric in there somewhere...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Gotta be a Zappa lyric in there somewhere...

"Look here, brother - who you jivin' with that Cosmic Debris?"

We saw Dweezil about a year ago - what a fantastic show!!!
He's going to be back in Vancouver tomorrow night at the Commodore. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Peloquin visual cues? Reply with quote

Maybe this will help? This was my old ZF style (original factory used this style) but same result as a TBD for this test...

Link

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: