Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Back for another year !! Let's see your pics!

My van pics will be posted next week .. we are throwing an outdoor party & hosting from the Weekender .. an Xmas get-together.

Van or Tree ... Bring 'em on!

'91 Weekender w/FAS Conversion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Hopefully this counts for something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Hey, I thought you were off the road because of winter salt. I agree. Use the van. You have cosmoline on the underside so use it and then do an underbody wash job periodically and you should be fine. You have put a ton of effort into this proud beauty so use her as much as possible.

Our tree went on top of the Jetta station wagon as I didn't yet convert over to my 16" wheels and have bald summers. First time in 40 plus years that the tree wasn't put inside a Vanagon for the trip home.
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Awesome! 🎄

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Wishing everyone a joyous and peaceful holiday season and new year.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Hey, I thought you were off the road because of winter salt. I agree. Use the van. You have cosmoline on the underside so use it and then do an underbody wash job periodically and you should be fine. You have put a ton of effort into this proud beauty so use her as much as possible.

Our tree went on top of the Jetta station wagon as I didn't yet convert over to my 16" wheels and have bald summers. First time in 40 plus years that the tree wasn't put inside a Vanagon for the trip home.

Well I just took it off the road this morning (or at least until the next big rain.) They dumped a ton of salt for the first time this season on island roads because of black ice. The roads were fine without the salt but I guess they aired on the side of caution. I’ll probably use it sparingly on days when the roads are clean and spray it off with a good rinse. My wife says that the van gets more baths then our children (not true of course.)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Brought home a tree.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Chopped that sucka' down!

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Craig
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

The bulbs and sockets aren't having a lot of fun following other vehicles throwing up road salt and winter crud so I only get about three seasons before I have to put on a new set of lights. This was my first test of a new string and there was a circuit of 6 bulbs the didn't get soldered at the lower left (of the photo, Passenger's Side), but has since been fixed.
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to you all. We wish you a safe and joyful holiday!

Sonja and Dave

Westfa-la-la 2018

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Cheated and didn't wire to 12 VDC as there would have been a ton of wire striping and soldering and then taping to do. Through a relay so I didn't stress the ignition switch, I am running my 300 watt inverter, thus just house current. Want to clean up the inverter install as there are currently (pun intended) wires that run under the rug and there's an extension cord from the lights to the inverter.

A thousand years ago, I had the same set-up, but on 12 volts with separate strings arranged on the left and another on the right with all orange bulbs which were connected to the turn signals. Too much effort and too many other projects so not this time around. Still have to straighten out the license plate and get the plate light installed and wired. A bit tough on fingers at 20º.

In case anyone is wondering, there is a T handled bolt that is threaded in the pipe that slips over the upright rod the multi diameter towing balls fit on. So to fill the coolant reservoir, which needs constant attention due to the failing DS head gasket, or to open the hatch, the tree just slips off its mount. Pipe section is 3/4 with a ½" nipple welded and then the tree "trunk" epoxied in the small pipe.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

thatguydave wrote:

Winner!

I just use mine to hide gifts until I get them wrapped.

We also have the paper cut-out Westfalia stuck on our tree - or at least we did when I left for work this morning. The kitten has been having a time with "his" first xmas tree.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

My van is going camping for Christmas, so the decor is rather simplistic. Exterior lights will be added once at the destination.

(If anyone wants those VW gift bags, head to WalMart. Wink )
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Jo Ann Fabric has splittie gift wrap paper.

I would not buy splittie stuff but my wife brought this home and I get such things from other folks, who think all VW vans are the same. I'm also a non-Harley motorcyclist and have to deal with a similar problem there as well.

Last edited by campism on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Found these at the local Big Box hardware store:

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

Our new girl Sweetie getting pictures done for our Christmas cards.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

I hung this wreath up this year. I think it is made of green and red mylar strips, but not sure.
I thought it might look okay, but in daylight I'm not impressed with it. I added one of those LED light strips you see under the tailgates 'cause that hooks right up to the trailer hitch lights and it would be easy.
However I did cut the wires for the turn signals and connected all of them to the running lights so they all come on at once. the LED can module has them all increase brightness now as the brake lights come on so it's an additional third brake light.
At night it lights up okay, but still ugly in daylight!

Next year if I remember i think I'll just paint a old spare tire green and wrap some lights around it like so.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

My wife found this on her Fascistbook feed:

NOT our picture, just sharing...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Christmas Decorations 2018 Reply with quote

I always knew Santa was a fan as he seems to remember to bring me some new toy for the T3.

Never mind the mylar wreath in the spare tire, tell us what you scarfed from that full dumpster. Were you on your way to your boat in the background?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: