Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not another Class 11 (style)...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Nice. Glad to see the car is still kickin'

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Still looks good!!! One of my all time fav. 11 cars.

Just curious why are you selling it Alan?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alanf1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Well, I'm selling it because I have only a 2 car garage, a 0 car driveway and currently have 4 vehicles. I bought it thinking I would maybe take it off-road, which it is more than capable, but frankly it just looked too darn nice for that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Sold again! Now it's high in the mountains of Colorado.

The new owner has given me a lot of info regarding the current state of the car.
Aside from the obvious like painting everything silver and swapping out the black interior for oatmeal?? it looks like the front spindles were replaced with stockers and a sway bar was added. The Tweeds lift spindles did come in a box, though.
The rear now has stock trailing arms and spring plates that aren't notched, riding on the lower stops. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the modified parts came with the car.

He has been studying the build threads and asking a lot of questions to get a handle on the changes that have been made, in hopes of getting it a little closer to how I built it. Sounds like he's got some plans of making it even better too!

Congratulations, Stephen!
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Ugh.... Sounds like it is back in good hands again!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I'm the new owner and would like to thank Sxuxrxf for all of the great advice he's given me the past few days, even though he hasn't owned the car for about eight years.

I am in the process of building it back up to the look and functionality of Sxuxrxf's original build.

I've been looking for a Class 11 look-alike for some time and when I saw this I jumped on it. It's pretty nice as is but has some issues, mainly suspension.

I live in western Colorado with a lot of off-road access and wanted something for running the easy jeep roads. I will be putting along, not jumping or racing.

Thanks to Sxuxrxf and Alan for the great advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Great to see this car still alive! I know it's one of a couple that inspired my Class 11 style build!

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Congrats Sidehill on your new purchase! Feel free to continue to update this thread with your progress. I'd love to see photos and stories of the journey!
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Thanks MI-mi bug

I will be updating as I go along. Luckily so much in the car is new or has been worked over I should have it where I want it by spring. Mainly it just needs a little suspension work; notching the spring plates. Probably will have to re-jet being at 5000' instead of sea level.
oh6a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I HAVE BEEN IN CASUAL CONTACT WITH SIDEHILL (HE IS ABOUT 60 TO 70 MILES FROM WHERE I HANG OUT) AND HE IS VERY MUCH GETTING AFTER THIS RIDE ! I VERY MUCH LOOK FORWARD TO HIS PROGRESS, AND THE COOL THING IS WHEN HE IS DONE I CAN SWING BY AND CHECK IT OUT FIRST HAND.
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. LOCK BUTTON APPEARS TO BE STUCK ON THE KEY BOARD.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

GLAD this car is being returned to it's ORIGINAL condition.....I have seen this car, years back..........great car....ENJOY & WELCOME to the CLASS 11/Pre-Runner community Exclamation Exclamation

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I've finally gotten the car lifted back up to the height of the original build by Sxuxrxf. The fellow he sold it to had replaced the notched spring plates with un-notched, then cranked up the torsions so the spring plates were resting on the stops. These were replaced with Atomwerk lift spring plates to give me back the height plus I'm no longer against the stops.

The second owner had also removed the 3.5" lift spindles. Luckily I got those when I bought the car so put them back on.

I also took off the nerf bars and added a stockish running board. It's a billet aluminum with a black finish on top and polished outer rail. It is heavy enough to stand on.

Now I just need to have the car rejetted for 5000 feet vs sea level and replace the mag wheels with black stock wheels. It should be ready for some mountain runs in a month or so. As I think I mentioned before, I'd like to able to run it on the easy jeep trails around Silverton. Our camp is at 10,000 ft and some of the passes are over 12,000. Imogene is 13+. I'll need a skid plate on the rear. Any recommendations?

I still have the roof rack and will be putting that back on. It really adds to the look of the car in my opinion.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Glad to see its in good hands and here in Colorado Cool
What did you do with those nerf bars? haha
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

They went to Nerf bar heaven.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Mr Bill can you show him how you did the skid plates for your car?
Class 11 guys have had these figured out for a long time. Look at photos of other Class 11 cars.

Often a subframe of 1.5" x .095 tube from the motor mount under the bell housing back to the back edge of the body and up to the bottom of the rear bumper with a simple 2-bolt flange there. Then tab the tubes to mount the skidplate to the subframe. There should also be a skidplate under the trans, or 1 skidplate that goes from the recess in the pan ahead of the torsion housing back to the back edge of the exhaust. I find 1/8" thick 6061-T6 aluminum or 13 ga. steel work fine.

Make SURE the subframe and the plate clear everything underneath. Many these days build skidplates so they're touching things, like the bottom of the engine case. Least little contact of that plate to the ground or a rock...And it will pass the damage right on to whatever it's touching. Gotta have some room for things to flex when they hit something. But the HP Books "Baja Prepping VW Sedans And Dune Buggies" published in 1970 warned against skidplates touching things they're supposed to protect. It aint new info.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oh6a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Looks like you are moving along pretty quickly.
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

I found a photo of Mr. Bills skid plate or at least the frame for the skid plate so I have an idea of what dustymojave was describing. Thanks Dusty.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1012070.jpg
It's more work than what I envisioned but I agree about keeping the skid plate off of the sump and other engine parts for protection and to maintain air circulation.

Yes, it's coming along, but slower than I'd like. I still need to take it in for a valve adjustment and rejetting. I have no idea how long it has been. The previous owner never had the valves adjusted but I don't think he put very many miles on the car.
[/img]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

sidehill wrote:
I found a photo of Mr. Bills skid plate or at least the frame for the skid plate so I have an idea of what dustymojave was describing. Thanks Dusty.

It's more work than what I envisioned but I agree about keeping the skid plate off of the sump and other engine parts for protection and to maintain air circulation.

That actually hangs a lot lower than even I think is needed. I would put that rear cross member (IF included) behind the back edge of the engine. Where that one is, it could be pushed up into the engine. The trans portion could be practically up against the frame horns and the bottom flange of a steel motor mount. Some mounts don't hang low enough, so you can bolt or weld on a spacer, like a piece of square tube. The 2 parallel tubes should be spaced wide enough so that even if the skidplate and subframe ARE pushed up hard enough, they will still pass by the sides of the case.

The back edge of the plate should not extend too far back or up toward the bumper as it will restrict cooling air exiting the engine.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

Thanks Dusty. Good advice.

I'm not sure how to attach the rear without attaching to the bumper or bumper brackets. Page two of this thread shows a Class 11 style with large holes for cooling in the rear of the skid plate.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Not another Class 11 (style)... Reply with quote

sidehill wrote:
Thanks Dusty. Good advice.

I'm not sure how to attach the rear without attaching to the bumper or bumper brackets. Page two of this thread shows a Class 11 style with large holes for cooling in the rear of the skid plate.

The skidplate should attach to the subframe. I use carriage bolts for that so the head will slide over mother earth. The back end of the subframe should attach to the bottom of the VW bumper. Some Class 11 racers run braces from the back corners of the roll cage down to the bumper mounts beside the engine. That way bumps to the bumper or to the skidplate don't collapse the back of the body. This subframe should be much like the bottom part of a Baja Bug bumper cage. Skidplate pretty much the same as for a Baja Bug.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: