Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Anderson PowerPole Mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

PM sent…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Jay - do you have a thread on here that details your Solar setup? Sorry off topic - trying to take it off topic though Very Happy

I need to get serious about my Solar -> Aux setup and am curious as to what you have, specifically. (if it's not classified Shocked)

On another note Kam - i've always practiced the same on disconnection ... always covered the panels as I was told by a sambanista back in 2009.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

My solar setup is really simple. I have a 100W Monocrystaline panel mounted to the roof bars that feeds a 20A MPPT controller. Wiring is 10AWG and goes directly to the auxiliary battery.

I used to carry a flexible 100W panel with me to track the sun during the day, but I never really needed it, so I sold it to a friend. My power needs are pretty minimal and working 2 jobs generally keeps me from camping for extended periods of time.

If you use a bi-directional ACR like the Blue Sea Systems 7610 and want to ensure that all of your solar power is dedicated to the house battery, install a ON/OFF toggle switch on the ground wire to force isolate the batteries while camping. You just have to remember to flip the switch back to the ON position to resume automatic operation.

A good deep cycle battery under the passenger side of the rear seat is still the best bang for the buck. I consider Trojan batteries to be a pretty good balance of cost vs. value.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Have users of the Anderson Powerpole connectors found they're holding up after a lot of repeated connect-disconnects?

Has anyone found a "chassis mount" Anderson or similar connector that has proven to be weather proof? (hasn't allowed corrosion to creep down the wires on body)

I'm thinking of making a remote flexible solar panel and considering ways to mount the connector at the rear pillar vent area.

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

I've had the 75 amp Anderson Power Poles for almost 10 years now. They are holding up great.

I have two, 120 watt flexible panels attached to about 50 feet of heavy gauge speaker wire. I store the panels in the upper bunk.

I ran my connection from my battery, (under rear seat) out the fire wall and into the engine compartment, around the compartment to the license plate door.

When I need to plug the panels in, I just pop the license plate door open and plug in. The connectors stay relatively dry and clean in there and I didn't have to punch a hole anywhere in the body or pop top. The license plate door is a big hole in the body! Use it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
I've had the 75 amp Anderson Power Poles for almost 10 years now. They are holding up great.

I have two, 120 watt flexible panels attached to about 50 feet of heavy gauge speaker wire. I store the panels in the upper bunk.

I ran my connection from my battery, (under rear seat) out the fire wall and into the engine compartment, around the compartment to the license plate door.

When I need to plug the panels in, I just pop the license plate door open and plug in. The connectors stay relatively dry and clean in there and I didn't have to punch a hole anywhere in the body or pop top. The license plate door is a big hole in the body! Use it!

Hey that's a really cool idea. Thanks. And thanks for real world use input on longevity of the Anderson connectors.

It's a bit far fetched but my idea is to mount the panel on aluminum then stash it onto the inside of rear hatch. When I'm lazy, I'd flip it up to use for privacy at rear glass and maybe gather sun rays. Otherwise, it'd hang from rear or passenger side of van. (fridge side in the shade that way)

Thanks again

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Hey Neil. The only potential issue I see with your idea is that the glass on your rear window will cut your solar gain - possibly significantly.

Since I'm able to move my panels around during the day, I've noticed that dirt on the panels, angle of the panels or anything that casts even the smallest shadow on the panels will clobber the amp output.

Maybe you could test out your panel on a sunny day and hopefully prove me wrong... Wink
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Hey Neil. The only potential issue I see with your idea is that the glass on your rear window will cut your solar gain - possibly significantly.

Totally agree. I didn't clarify "lazy". "lazy" meaning if I didn't feel like moving the panel outside, I'd just put it up in the window. But doing so is probably a waste of effort. Also, heat inside van plus heat at window might harm the panel over time. But I'm not sure of that.

I mostly like the idea of being able to move the panel.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

I use the PowerPole connectors every day at work and have used the same sets, connecting and disconnecting, repeatedly 5 days a week for 7 years and honestly I can't recall ever having a failure.

I work in a research and development lab so our set ups usually do not see too much in the way of bad weather other than some occasional water and sub-zero temps in our environmental chamber so I can't say much on corrosion resistance.
However, I suspect with some proper sealing heat shrink on the connector you could slow down anything like that.

Perhaps you can sort a way to use something like this for moisture protection.
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-1441g1-1442g1-powerpole-splash-boot

There is also a possibility that that site has some other stuff as well.
I did not look too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Thanks vwhammer!

Ok. So they are obviously quite robust. My concern would be water getting in to the (female?) contacts at connector on body while the panel is unplugged.

Maybe this?

http://andersonconnect.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=317

or other trailer type connector. i.e. for this application, Anderson Pole connectors may not really aren't needed. (power only goes in)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks vwhammer!

Ok. So they are obviously quite robust. My concern would be water getting in to the (female?)...

I've just spent the evening researching DC connectors for a remote solar panel (not being satisfied with cig lighter or SAE connectors). In my research on Anderson connectors I learned they are hermaphroditic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_connector

Powerpole connectors are physically and electrically hermaphroditic, thus avoiding the need to worry about which end is the plug and which the socket, or which end has the correct polarity, as is the case with the physically but not electrically hermaphroditic 2-wire trailer plug.

I've also learned a number of benefits of the Anderson connectors (silver plated, easy to connect/disconnect, etc.) and the disadvantages (they don't make an easy duplex panel mount).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Some Wiki editor is obviously enjoying a fantasy session. The correct term is genderless.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I have some Andersen 45A terminals kicking around. Do you have a crimping tool that can form the proper crimp for this type of terminal?

Proper Anderson Crimper?
Are there reasonable alternatives to the Powerwerx Tricrimp (or similar tools) for crimping Anderson 15/30/45 terminals? I know the terminals can't be deformed too much or they won't fit into the connector.

I have two ratchet crimpers a Titan with a single set of jaws for insulated terminals and an Astro with 6 jaws that I purchased primarily for barrel terminals (I finally can make nice crimps like Hans und Franz Very Happy ) but it doesn't seem either will work for PowerPole terminals.

What do you all use for crimping PowerPole terminals? It seems adopting these will require a new tool unless if I'm missing a cheat with, say, slip-joint pliers (similar to Sodo's open-end wrench and hammer I saw in another thread). I've graduated from the $5 masher/crimper but I'm learning that there are many specialty crimps to use on a Vanagon: barrel, insulated, MC4 solar, PowerPole, etc. and each prefers its proprietary crimper.

Astro Crimper, six quick change dies, $55...
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9477-Professional-Int...amp;sr=8-3

Titan Crimper, screw in die for insulated terminals, $21..
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11477-Ratchetin...amp;sr=8-3

Powerwerx Tricrimp for PowerPole terminals, $55...
https://www.amazon.com/Powerwerx-TRIcrimp-Powerpol...amp;sr=8-3

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

There really is no substitute for the right crimper.
You might get lucky and find on that works but who knows how many you will have to try first.

I have the PowerPole crimpers.
They work and were not that expensive.
We have some crimpers at work that are pushing $800 so I am definitely ok paying $50 or 60 for some.

I also have a cheap set of ratchet crimpers I got from amazon that I should try sometime on the powerpoles just to see if they work.
They do a lot more different styles of terminals but they still ended up being like $35 or something.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Some Wiki editor is obviously enjoying a fantasy session. The correct term is genderless.

Not that it matters, but Anderson's glossary defaults to Hermaphroditic (page 12). I'm spending way too much time learning about these connectors but they're new to me.
https://www.andersonpower.com/content/dam/app/ecommerce/product-pdfs/CAT-PPMP.pdf

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Strange but OK. I have been using PowerPoles for 25 years and never heard the word ‘hermaphroditic’ to describe them. Amateur radio, RACES and Search & Rescue has always described them as ‘genderless’ connectors.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Here's another option for panel mounting PowerPole connectors. It's not as plug'n'play as the connector below and it also doesn't have a water resistant cap but it allows setting only one pair of connectors (maybe this is what Kamz used?). I'm looking to set a single pair at the front and rear of the van to connect an aux. solar panel to find the sun wherever it is in a 20' -25' radius around the van.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-1463g1-powerpole-mo...MOEALw_wcB

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Quite a few people have asked me about the best way to convert one of the Westfalia inlets (city water, electric, water tank fill) into a convenient way to attach a solar panel to the van.

I was just buying a few connectors and noticed that there is a new option that seems almost perfect for the job: http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/pan....html#desc

This would also allow a convenient way to power outside lighting or a compressor etc. Just convert whatever accessories you want to power over to 15/30/45A Power Poles and you are good to go.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Strange but OK. I have been using PowerPoles for 25 years and never heard the word ‘hermaphroditic’ to describe them. Amateur radio, RACES and Search & Rescue has always described them as ‘genderless’ connectors.

Maybe it some crazy new PC change in word use? It sure was a new use to me when I came across it yesterday.

Abscate wrote:

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
it also doesn't have a water resistant cap but it allows setting only one pair of connectors (maybe this is what Kamz used?).

They changed from 2 to 4 mounting holes, but yes. Here's a better photo:

It's recessed quite a bit in the hookup box, so I'm not concerned with water intrusion. What I'd like, though, are caps for the panel-side connectors to keep dirt out of them when unplugged.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Anderson PowerPole Mount Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
There really is no substitute for the right crimper.
You might get lucky and find on that works but who knows how many you will have to try first.

I have the PowerPole crimpers.
They work and were not that expensive.
We have some crimpers at work that are pushing $800 so I am definitely ok paying $50 or 60 for some.

I also have a cheap set of ratchet crimpers I got from amazon that I should try sometime on the powerpoles just to see if they work.
They do a lot more different styles of terminals but they still ended up being like $35 or something.

Thanks. I kinda figured that would be the case. Here's a few pages of Amateur Radio chat on these connectors (crimping, soldering, etc.). They kinda sound like us here at the samba...but going on for five pages about connectors...

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/crimping-anderson-power-pole-connectors.262065/

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: