Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2421, 2422, 2423 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Well, they both fold. That's the only attribute they share- comparing round tubes to c-channel, the backs and the base. But I lack either, so onward... Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235525

I would love for someone to present a shread of evidence that this chair ever came with a so-34 flip seat westfalia. The poorly scripted previous owner story only ads to my doubts of its true origin.

Terrible, very misleading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:

Also this ad posted today...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235549

This does not look like a legit chair.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235525

I would love for someone to present a shread of evidence that this chair ever came with a so-34 flip seat westfalia. The poorly scripted previous owner story only ads to my doubts of its true origin.

I have my doubts as well but with Westfalia, you never know. Here's a pic of the same chair from the previous owner in a different color and with what appears to be, no plaid pad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not saying the chair is a WESTY CHAIR, but the chair has been with the bus since 1966ish, when it changed hands from 1st owner the chair was in the bus. (at least what the previous owner told me personally) and I personally pulled the chair from the bus for the pic above that Crofty posted until someone removed it from the bus like most of the other rare Westy stuff for a high dollar price you guys are whining about.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I own a fraction of the bus brochures listed on this site in the archives- so I must rely only on those listed. In the SO-34 brochure there is a pretty easily recognized style of folding chair referenced on the price sheet. It has two bottom "hoops" that clearly connect the two front legs and the two rears legs, respectively.

Unless somebody has better literature- can there be that many different Westy chairs?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This is the one that came with my 61 Turkis. Very lightly if ever used , just like the one in the brochure. I’ve never seen one like the one in the original posting ..
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2230536
IDK if its the way the light is in these pictures but the paint on this looks like someone buffed it and didn't get all the compound off . cool truck but IDK about that price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
IDK if its the way the light is in these pictures but the paint on this looks like someone buffed it and didn't get all the compound off . cool truck but IDK about that price.

I suspect it's a lame attempt at fauxtina, some aggressive wet sanding down to the primer followed by a buff, but with no regard to where real patina occurs first.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
chris henry wrote:

I suspect it's a lame attempt at fauxtina, some aggressive wet sanding down to the primer followed by a buff, but with no regard to where real patina occurs first.

I have seen a few believable fake patina jobs. they are more art work then paint jobs. tons of hours with a combination of wet sanding and airbrushing with a final clear. it is always best to have photos of a real specimen to go off of as well as a direction. are you going for rust belt or sunbaked patina? Different parts of the world create different types of patina. I will give him a 6 out of 10 for his effort
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Not saying the chair is a WESTY CHAIR, but the chair has been with the bus since 1966ish, when it changed hands from 1st owner the chair was in the bus. (at least what the previous owner told me personally) and I personally pulled the chair from the bus for the pic above that Crofty posted until someone removed it from the bus like most of the other rare Westy stuff for a high dollar price you guys are whining about.

Par for the course unfortunately. The safari install on that bus is painfully poor.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Thats funny you say that about the safaris. Below(same seller as chair) are the ones that I put in the bus. The latches were NOS. Probably one of the nicest sets of OG safaris. Just another example just like the chair.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235770
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

As to the chair discussion, here is a period slide of a chair in use. Note the backrest upholstery.

Here is literature showing the bitch seat used as a chair. (high hinge bus, likely a prototype or super early production flipseat):

I don't know what is exactly original, but it would not surprise me if they did a few different things with the chairs. They were making buses for camping, and buying stuff from outside suppliers to complete the package.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
As to the chair discussion, here is a period slide of a chair in use. Note the backrest upholstery.

Here is literature showing the bitch seat used as a chair. (high hinge bus, likely a prototype or super early production flipseat):

I don't know what is exactly original, but it would not surprise me if they did a few different things with the chairs. They were making buses for camping, and buying stuff from outside suppliers to complete the package.

That looks like it coulda been some kind of a slip cover that was placed over the backrest for the photo shoot . The other is mind boggling ..Smile
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

broozebrothers wrote:
Lind wrote:

That looks like it coulda been some kind of a slip cover that was placed over the backrest for the photo shoot . The other is mind boggling ..:)

I bought the chair from Danny Morganelli's '61 after it burned down (I think it was original to the bus) and it had the upholstered backrest like the photo Lind posted. It wasn't just a slip cover, the upper hoop did not have the flat metal at the top.

I had another chair from a '62, it has the flat metal on top, no evidence of a backrest slip cover. The bottom was original upholstery.

I don't have either one anymore unfortunately.

I would think the chair Mark has is probably original to Greg & Brandy's bus, just a different style no one has seen before. I don't know why it was painted green, if it was original I would have expected the same white paint they always were. Greg, was it white underneath the green? I also don't know why it wasn't upholstered, I think Greg's bus had the majority of the original upholstery so I would think it would have still matched as well. Sometimes it's hard to say with certainty what was original or not.

There's a '61 flipseat on the east coast which has TWO chairs which are both original to the bus and the center rear seat doesn't flip up and down like they normally do - it's just a flat platform in the westy cross hatch laminate.

I have a few fairly similar chairs which I plan to repaint/upholster unless I find another original one for our flipseat.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This chair is from the SO34 out of Atascadero.

Greg, this was the seat I snapped a pic of at your house at a BDM BBQ in 2004. I think this was from the ’62 you picked up in Texas.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

That panels got more filler on it then a Kardasian.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

broozebrothers wrote:
Lind wrote:

That looks like it coulda been some kind of a slip cover that was placed over the backrest for the photo shoot . The other is mind boggling ..Smile

A little off topic but I have never seen a High hinge so 34 like the one in the brochure drawing. thought they were all low hinge
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

I was going to put a picture of one those tribal lip disc. Try googling that. Most all of the pics have at least one tit either pointing at the ground or in a kids mouth. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2421, 2422, 2423 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2422 of 2710

Jump to: