Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find 62!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Looks like you've got the little guy hooked on bugs already!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Yeah. Ultimately the car projects are to get him interested in the hobby, and help him learn some skills that may serve him well later in life. I ended up getting a very good job that I enjoy at this stage in my life, all as an indirect result of my love for old cars and motorcycles, and a developed understanding specifically of German engineering. I work on state of the art, German made high speed printing presses for a living, and the engineering logic tends to be very similar to VW stuff.
Anyway. I figure it's never too early to teach the kid a few things.
By the way, he's named after his great grandfather, Vernon Wesley, giving him the initials VW. That wasn't entirely an accident, haha.

I just poured 2 quarts of Evaporust into my fuel tank, and I'm going to let that sit for a few hours and see what happens. The inside of the tank is mostly VERY clean and nice looking, however the bottom of the tank is pretty crusty. Hopefully I can clean it up pretty easy!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I soaked my crusty gas tank for 24 hours, then rinsed it out with the water hose. Now that tank is SPOTLESS inside!
Evaporust is the best rust removal product I've ever seen. Holy cow what a great job it did!
I was wondering if I'd even be able to use this tank, and now it looks new inside! Awesome.

I wish I could get a few dry days to work on my car. It's been raining for 2 weeks solid here.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

It would be best to coat the inside of the tank, or it will eventually rust again.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
It would be best to coat the inside of the tank, or it will eventually rust again.

I think I will use RedKote on it. I've had good results with it in the past, and that stuff is very reasonably priced. Smile
Thanks!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I got my 1600 sp ready to go in the car, and decided to give the engine a full 360* spin to be sure all is well, and the motor spun about half a turn before coming to a hard stop.
I removed the 1/2 cylinder head, and found heavy rust in cylinder #2, but everything else looked very good once I removed the other head, and I also removed the #2 jug and piston to inspect what I could inside the case, and everything looked great. So as far as I know, I really just need one good used 85.5mm piston and cylinder, or just hold off a couple of weeks and order a set of 87mm slip-ins from AA and know that the whole top end is in good shape for years to come.
Either way, this discovery has put my bug project on hold for a few weeks, which is kind of a good thing, because it frees up time for me to prepare for a long motorcycle trip I have planned for the first weekend of November.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I've been slowly working on this car, cleaned it up a little, and repaired the engine, and found some interesting things while I was in there.
The engine has new-looking pistons, and hemi-cut heads, that have also been flycut, at least enough to remove the stock ledge, but perhaps even more to make up for chamber volume gained with the hemi-cut.
I didn't dig too deep, I just replaced the one rusted jug with a known good one, and cleaned the pistons and rings up real nice before reassembling the top end and setting valve lash. I have a few more things to button up, but I'm hoping to get the engine in sometime in the next few weeks, now that it's all buttoned up.
I ordered a cheap new muffler off of Rockauto.com, because the POS Empi Monza GT muffler that the PO gave me with the car is just super rusty.
I sandblasted and painted the heater boxes, and installed those on the engine, so once the new muffler gets here, I'll be ready to stick the motor in the car!
Although I still haven't gotten around to replacing those rotten axle boots, so I'm sure that'll come first, while they're easy to get at.
As far as body completeness goes, I still need a headliner, and my front bumper towel bar is fubar, so if anybody has one of those that they'd like to see go to a good home, I'm interested! Otherwise, I'll order one from Wolfsburg West.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Got my little motor buttoned up and ready to go in the car! Now to go prepare the car to have a motor stuck up its arse.
It sucks only having 1 day a week to work on it. Once I get the engine bolted in, I'll hook up my tow bar and drag the car home to finish up the little stuff before I try to start it.
I am getting very close though!

I'm sure I'll be driving it by spring Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

If you want to use a heater you may want to fabricate something like I did when using a header. The do not melt or burn thru like flimsy hose will. see photo.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Nice tip! Thanks!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Well, as I climbed under the car to replace the axle boots, I found some more rust, ughh.
I'll have to cut out and replace the pieces on the sides of the rear apron that contain the rear bumper mounts. I'll have to figure out where to find that section new, or possibly cut some original steel off a parts car somewhere.
Considering the car's age and where it came from, I'm not too disappointed by the condition of the body. It's not too bad to fix..
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Figured I'd post a couple more photos that I took...
Yesterday I finally got my axle boots installed, and bolted my passenger front fender on better with some new bolts and washers, as it only had 2 bolts and was about to fall off.
I also began to install the new starter that came with the car, but it turns out that it was a 12v starter with the wrong bushing for my transaxle.
So I bought an auto-stick starter from O'Reilly, and turned in a junk starter that was laying around as a core, and sold the first new 12v starter to my buddy with a 68 baja. Either way, now I have a new starter Very Happy
I also found that my Bowden tube for the clutch cable isn't installed, so I'll do some research on that as well. Don't want to eat up my clutch cable...
I had to wait all day for my starter to get to the parts store from their hub, so I didn't get the engine in this week. I'm all set up and ready to stick it in next week, though, and then I'll just have to figure out which wires went where, for my charging system and the starter, since everything is just dangling under the car now, lol.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

looks like a nice beetle barn you've got there...
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Thanks, the barn actually belongs to the guy I bought the red car from.
I've been helping him clean out his barn so he can store the 2 cars he wants to keep in there, the tan 68, and the black 71 vert.
I've kept the car at his place for now, at least until we get the engine bolted in.
Once I get to that point, I'll probably bring the car home on a tow bar to finish it up and get it running. He lives about an hour away from me, so it would be a lot more convenient to button it up at my house.
I'm really trying to get the car ready to drive before spring time, but it would be even cooler if I get to screw around in the snow with it in the next couple of months, if we get any.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Regarding snow, you can have some of ours. 4 ft so far
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I'd have to break out my v8 swapped 1980 Toyota on 35's to even be able to get to work, but I'd take it!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Just ordered my first custom part for this car! I can't find the stock shift knob I had for this car, so I ordered this wicked awesome glitter knob from TwistedShifterz.com.
I can't wait to get it!
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Well, it turns out that I was mistaken, and my bell housing hadn't actually been clearanced for the 12v flywheel. It took a couple times trying to install the engine to figure this out, and a couple more tries after grinding it out before the engine would bolt up and still spin.
Anyway, after replacing the axle boots,starter, clutch cable and Bowden tube, the engine is in, and I only need to figure out the wiring for the voltage regulator and starter, and put the gas tank back in, and I'll be ready to crank my bug!
It has taken a while to find time to drive an hour away to work on it, but it should go pretty quick now, as I'm dragging the car home on a tow bar today!
Won't be long now...
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I just noticed that whatever moron painted the body did it without taping over the fuse panel, so now on top of my other electrical adventures, I get to file the paint off the fuse tabs and replace the fuses with ones that haven't been coated in shiny red insulation.
Wtf Haha...
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Great score. That car will shine up really well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: