Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

So, I’ve been on this forum for several years now and have looked through the threads that interest me. I don’t own any 1:1 VWs. I grew up with them, (dad was a mechanic) and they were the first cars I drove. I still like them, but don’t have room to store and frankly being 6’4”, I was never really comfortable driving them once I was taller than 6’2”.
Fortunately, like any frustrated hot rodder, car enthusiast, there are scale models and die-casts. Boy do I have my share. Mostly 1/25-1/24 but a smattering of 1/64, 1/32, 1/20, 1/18, all the way to ¼ scale.
I’ve always felt air cooled VWs were never well represented in quality 1/24-1/25 scale when you consider how many were produced in the world. Revell and Tamiya have made good efforts in recent years in the plastics and I have collected representations of their kits. I sometimes build but lately it seems I only collect.
In 1/24 scale, Franklin Mint made a Euro 67 Beetle hardtop and cabriolet, 67 Ghia hardtop and a well detailed 62 21 window Bus in several colors before they were robbed by China. They only other quality 1/24 air cooled VW I’m aware of are the Minichamps/Paul’s Modern Art Euro 67 Ghia hardtop and cabriolet. The problem with these is they are out of production and can be hit and miss to find. I do have all but the Bus in my collection.
I know there are other die-cast air cooled representations from Motor Max, Jada, Kinsmart, Maisto, and Welly, but they really come across as visually toy like with clumsy doors or cartoon features.
Well, several years ago M2 Machines started producing 1/64 Beetles, Double Cabs, Deliveries, and Microbuses. They come in Euro, and USA versions, stock and hot rodded, opening features too. I’m really surprised no one has started a thread on this line in 1/64 or 1/24 scale.
I have collected several of M2’s other 1/24 scale models over the years and usually the 1/64s come before the 1/24 versions, Needless to say I was waiting in anticipation for something from this company. I was not disappointed. A Wal-Mart exclusive, they released two 1960 Microbuses. Though they were painted in colors not available for 1960, they had actual hinged doors, deck lid, and rear hatch. One had an open sun roof and one didn’t. The side doors didn’t open. I’m sure there were lots of other things wrong prototypically, they looked good and were only $20 each.
[url]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]

[url]

[/url]

[url]

A short while later they released a proper color 1960 Microbus in restored and rusty versions. I only have the shiny one.
[/url]

[url]

[url]

Next, more Wal-Mart exclusives that were lowered and rodded Microbuses in shiny black and flat orange. The one thing they added was an ambulance spotlight on the top. Not a huge fan, but to each his own.
[url]

[url]

Now I kept waiting thinking anytime now they would release a Beetle. And wouldn’t you know it they did while I was out of the country. I missed out on the release of the 52 Deluxe Beetle. I have one now. It was obviously designed by a different group than the Microbus, because they missed the details a lot on this one. It’s not bad, but the bumpers, stance, wheel track and rear side window stick out. Still, there are no crotch cooler beetles in this scale that I’m aware of for $20. Oh yeah the interior is messed up too.
[/url]

[url]

[/url]

[url]

[/url]

[/url]

A deal with Moon Equipped brought these neat schemes there were a few more, but I liked these.

Recently, we have these Surf themed releases. I find them looking pretty sharp looking.

Now if you follow M2, you are aware they also make limited editions just like Hotwheels called Chase and Super Chase (raw). I’m not a completionist, so I don’t collect these or even look for them.
I’m hoping they will explore Type 3’s or possibly even type 4s in the future.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

I've just recently (past couple of years) started collecting M2's. They have such great detail and offer many more buses than the other small die cast manufacturers. Here is one of my favorites.

Is this going to be the delicated M2 thread?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Mail call. Very Happy

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

A couple I've had in my collection.

# 303 and #156

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

That split Beetle looks like an oval with a bar through it.

Love the chrome Centerlines on the bus, though. I could see myself pirating a set of those.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/64 scale Reply with quote

Here is another one I have in my collection. I wish they wouldn't put that cyclops light on most of them. One or two would be fine, but it seems like I have more with than without.

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/64 scale Reply with quote

Found these at Wally World.

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

This one had box damage I left it on the shelf. 1:24 scale.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/64 scale Reply with quote

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

I saw someone posted this from another site, but with no other information.

# 303 and #156

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

M2 Auto Thentics Volkswagen Buses Sold Exclusively at Walmart Only !
These Designs came from the 1960 Owner's Viewpoint Commercials Brochure https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/60ownersviewpoint.php

Last edited by Typ3nut on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

I'm gonna let wifey pick out a homemaker/artist/painter etc panel bus for us at Walmart. We get our meds there & she loves to shop! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

New 1/24 delivery van!

Regular and Chase versions from M2 website:
http://nebula.wsimg.com/ed8623671b12da2ad3588e821b...oworigin=1
http://nebula.wsimg.com/1de6ffda91ef19c75d1fc2b989...oworigin=1
I haven't seen them on a shelf as of yet, where I live. They are all over eBay, so I guess they have been available in the rest of the country. Disappointingly, the front doors and the rear are closed. Also, actual hinges like the previous versions aren't being used on the side doors. Walmart has exclusive paint colors and a Super Chase as well for those who need them.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/a7fa8ab20587693f8c44ba67ae...oworigin=1
http://nebula.wsimg.com/5251b6f59ae9a9a71c9ecdbe45...oworigin=1
http://nebula.wsimg.com/fb050aebaaa0ff31c6628cde1e...oworigin=1
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Found a set at the swap meet today. Thanks typ3nut, now I have to look for 8 more buses. Wink

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
M2 Auto Thentics Volkswagen Buses Sold Exclusively at Walmart Only !
These Designs came from the 1960 Owner's Viewpoint Commercials Brochure https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/60ownersviewpoint.php

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Another tow truck.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

1953 oval window European Deluxe Beetle. No semaphores tho.

# 303 and #156

trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
I've just recently (past couple of years) started collecting M2's. They have such great detail and offer many more buses than the other small die cast manufacturers. Here is one of my favorites.

Is this going to be the delicated M2 thread?

It was technically an M2 Machines 1/24 scale topic. Well, like anything, you post something and it's no longer on topic. If people want to post other M2 scales here, I'm ok with it. I'm going to add a couple more 1/24 that I've acquired. I did pick up one of the Mooneyes delivery vans just before I left for Canada. It looks good, but as I previously posted, a disappointment in the door department. Oh yeah, the bumpers are wrong too. I'm sure there are other things incorrect, but these are the obvious ones to me. It's not been opened yet.

While I was in Montreal. I traveled to Plattsburgh, NY because it's the nearest Walmart in the states. By happy accident I found a stock version I didn't know was being released.

There were other VWs released. I have a custom brown Beetle with aluminum wheels, no pictures, because it's packed up. I didn't buy a Transporter and Beetle in Coca-cola livery for $40 CAD each at Walmart, sheesh! I can't even imagine what other retailers want if Walmart is asking that much. Another Walmart exclusive Beetle in black with wrong hubcaps again, I don't have because I haven't seen them. That's it for now.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

trh351,
I wasn't intentionally trying to mess up the thread, just consolidate all the M2s into one thread. I asked about that in 2018 and heard no reply until 2019. If you would like I can remove all my 1/64 scale posts and start a new thread. Definitely wasn't trying to step on your toes. Let me know.

# 303 and #156

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: M2 Machines VWs 1/24 scale Reply with quote

Be on the lookout for an EMPI branded panel van in packaging like they use for the Coke vehicles. I just took delivery on a case of them. I hate to do it but I'm gonna cut one open and just display it in the clear case.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: