Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coworkers coming to work sick :(
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Never had a job with benefits such as paid leave or sick days, or vacation, or retirement, or medical insurance.. Unless I cannot get out of bed, I generally go to work. Mostly work with one or two guys, so it is rarely an issue.

Will be self employed soon. No time for sick days. No support for sick days. No paid time off. I will be on my own.

If you work in an office with dozens of other people, and have paid sick days and time off and vacation and retirement, stay home when you are sick.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

My last job fired you if you were past 3 sick days in a row unless you brought in medical documentation.

With my employer if you are out 3 consecutive days or more for illness or injury you need a doctor's note AND you have to be cleared by the company doctor before you can return to your job.
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Same situation I’ve seen but then again not everyone is civilized. Only thing we can do is wash our hands often and practice all the protocols to limit contact with sick people. I keep a large can of Lysol to spray in the direction of these morons that come to work sick. I respect them as much as they respect me. Peer pressure? Yes it works we all took to wearing hospital masks around one inconsiderate bastard until he was shamed into going home then we doused his entire area with Lysol. Fuck em. Very Happy

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

at least with co-workers you can send them home or maybe avoid them but I work serving the public and they just love to cough/sneeze/puke in any direction. the number of people who sneeze into the hand they're holding the money in, then hand it over is astounding - I feel like saying 'shall I spit on your change then we're quits?'
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

I didn't notice anyone mention it but the first thing your employer looks at when it comes time for your review is probably attendance. It's a double edged sword, You have sick time available but you need to perform in order to advance. That drives me to tough it out sometimes depending on the severity of the illness. Nobody at work is going to commend you and give you a raise based on how many people you didn't get sick. Do I want to get sick at work by someone else or get someone sick? Of course not, But I also have to look out for number one.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

I say as a society we have become too hygienic. Roll in the dirt and share a toothbrush once in awhile. Builds up the immune system!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

^^^what he said People you gotta learn to use that micro-biome inside to your advantage.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I didn't notice anyone mention it but the first thing your employer looks at when it comes time for your review is probably attendance. It's a double edged sword, You have sick time available but you need to perform in order to advance. That drives me to tough it out sometimes depending on the severity of the illness. Nobody at work is going to commend you and give you a raise based on how many people you didn't get sick. Do I want to get sick at work by someone else or get someone sick? Of course not, But I also have to look out for number one.

This is true but with a caveat. Most good managers have their fingers on the pulse of their employees attendance. Are they on time each day? Are the calling in sick frequently? My biggest beef as a manager is when employees consistently call in sick on Mondays and Fridays. I'm quick to note that pattern and give them a "hug" during a firm conversation about it. If I have an employee who missed a lot of sick days that were legit, I don't hold it against them at all.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

This is true but with a caveat. Most good managers have their fingers on the pulse of their employees attendance. Are they on time each day? Are the calling in sick frequently? My biggest beef as a manager is when employees consistently call in sick on Mondays and Fridays. I'm quick to note that pattern and give them a "hug" during a firm conversation about it. If I have an employee who missed a lot of sick days that were legit, I don't hold it against them at all.

^^^ In my former FA (FA = Functional Area=Work Group) I was a leed. I had one employee that called in sick on Monday's more often than not. When this person was at work. They were on task and got the job done. Unfortunately, they were unreliable. Week in and week out.
So I had to assign tasks to another more reliable employee that came to work sober and ready to perform. But that's a different situation with regard to this thread.

We do note, who is on time and performs to their potential. If they come down with an illness once a year or so. Who cares. As long as the work ethic is displayed.

Now, my current situation is. I feel shitty and was gonna see my grand kiddies today. But I don't want to get them sick right before Christmas. So I begged off the afternoon playing with them.

Another issue is. If I feel like shit tomorrow morning. I'll stay home.
BUT, my work computer is in my desk drawer. In order to fetch it. I have to go into work. While further spreading infectious germs on my coworkers.

As stated in the OP.
I can work from home. But I'm kinda in a jamb here without the computer. If I go to the parking lot and call a coworker to bring me my computer. That would work. Problem being, my desk key is on my VW keyring.
That means I have to hand a set of contaminated key's to my coworker. There's just no win in this situation for me ATM.

Fn patient "0!"

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

When I was employed, imagine touching all of the keyboards mouse and telephone hand sets I had to touch OMG. Oh wait then there was times when I had no choice but to go into the jail and make repairs. You say germs! EWWW Yep did get paid for unused sick leave when retiring. No more of any of that thank you very much.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

Good point, But I'm to parinoid to risk it. That probably why I'm maxed out on sick time that I hardly ever use.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

finster wrote:
at least with co-workers you can send them home or maybe avoid them but I work serving the public and they just love to cough/sneeze/puke in any direction. the number of people who sneeze into the hand they're holding the money in, then hand it over is astounding - I feel like saying 'shall I spit on your change then we're quits?'

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."

RIP George Carlin
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

At my work our earned leave is split into two flavors: ordinary and sick. Although ordinary leave accumulation is capped at a specific number of hours a year, sick leave is not capped. As such, sick leave is essentially banked until needed or "sold back" to the government upon retirement as additional time served.

Even with our generous sick leave benefit, a strong union presence, and majority of supervisors seemingly willing to grant leave without reprisal, quite a few employees still seem to come to work sick. I don't have hard data, but I do hear the sneezing, hacking and coughing on a daily basis.

If it wasn't for the selling back option, I wonder if fewer of our people would come into work sick.

Ray

Some links:

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/creditable-service/

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c050.pdf
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Early in my career, most employers had separate vacation and sick leave pools. Most aerospace (and other) companies have gone to a "common pool" system where sick leave and vacation are combined and limited to a maximum accrual. This has encouraged both abuse, and also coming to work sick. A very shortsighted step... and now they reap what they sow, so I have little sympathy.
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Years ago, many employers had the two pools and an employee could accumulate and carryover up to 180 days of sick leave. Few employers would pay an employee for unused sick leave when they left the company. It seems that only public employers (schools, government) would do that.

I left a company while I had 180 days of unused sick leave. The point of accumulating those days was to have them there in the event you needed them. If you went on disability, you only received 60% of your pay and were excluded from the company's savings program (e.g, 401k Plan). So it was worth accumulating those days even if you never used them.

I worked largely in a management capacity and there was a need for me to be in the office. Most people would come into the office if they had a cold and that is probably true today. Sneezing and coughing can be allergy symptoms and not necessarily sickness.

Having said that, we had a woman bring her child to the office when the kid was sick. The kid had something more that a cold, as I remember. I think it was measles or chicken pox. Now that is truly dangerous. As I recall, someone complained to HR and she and her issue were sent home.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

180 days of sick leave? Shocked
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

i'm in wine and liquor sales. no work means no commission. And when there are 20 plus salespeople all selling the same stuff then it is a dog eat dog world. If it is January and i am sick it is a different story vs being sick in the summer or from the end of october until jan1st. Those are my busy times. You don't call in sick.....
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
180 days of sick leave?

I retired with 242 days of accumulated sick leave. I earned 13 sick leave days a year. The typical 40 hour work week is 260 working days a year.

I will tell all you Fed Gov't workers that mathmatically you are far better off burning up your sick leave than saving it and converting to service time. Those 242 days only gets me $50 more a month in retirement pay.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

The past 10 years I've taken echinacea when getting a soar throat...
Old Indian recipe for flu prevention

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!

Last edited by Evil Clown on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: