Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
Productive day.
I got everything that still needed paint, in paint. And got the rear suspension buttoned up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’ll start assembling the beam tomorrow after work.

i love this stage it's like a giant model, you are doing some amazing works
keep any it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Im a little ashamed to say that not much has happened since my last post. Just a bunch of parts collecting, sending and receiving parts from powered coat and dreaming. Between having a baby in June, a job promotion, and enjoying our other car we haven't had much time for the 58.
I did just put in a rather large Wolfsburg West order for the rest of the stuff to make the pan a roller and ready for the body to be permanently installed. Im hoping to have this all done during my week of from work for the holidays. The one thing I haven't ordered is the soft lines. Were going to be driving this car pretty hard as we do with all of ours. I want to hear what everyone thinks about the steel braided lines compared to the regular rubber soft lines. Are they worth the extra money or should I just stick with the norm?

One of the bigger things from the summer is I tracked down 2 more L244 Moss Green wheels. The best part is they were semi local so I was able to pick them up during our event VWs At The Springs. One of my 6 went to a very deserving Diamond Grey car in New York, so I'm down to the 5 I need.

The wheel on the left in the picture is the wheel at the front in the first picture after I worked my magic on it. It seems like thats all I do anymore, just wish it was on my own wheels not other peoples.
I do have 2 more located in a neighboring state that I just need to pick up from the current owner. Once that is done Ill pick my favorite 5 and use them for the car, the other two will go into the collection. Im constantly cycling wheels so I'm sure the remaining two will make it to deserving original paint cars.

I also sent my spindles to the one and only Mr. OGPaint to get rebuilt, as I don't have the stuff to do it. They came back looking great as you would expect with anything coming from him. Ill forever be in FlyHopper DIPA debt to Patrick with as much as he helps me out.

Anyways, hopefully this thread picks up steam once I get my WW package this week. The wife has already made plans that were taking both cars to Washington for Volksfest in September.
Let me know your opinions on the steel braided brake lines!
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

My thoughts on the steel braided brake lines, they migrated from the off-road world. We used them for protection against abrasion in desert racing. I don't really see the need for using them on a street car. I know the high dollar ones have a higher PSI rating, but I would imagine the ones sold for use on VW's are just a rubber line with steel braiding.

Is that color wheel a grey in person...or green? I may have one in my stash if it's grey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
The one thing I haven't ordered is the soft lines. Were going to be driving this car pretty hard as we do with all of ours. I want to hear what everyone thinks about the steel braided lines compared to the regular rubber soft lines. Are they worth the extra money or should I just stick with the norm?

From a performance standpoint, I doubt it will make much difference with stock brakes on a street driven car. I think the PTFE lining would last longer though, today's rubber doesn't seem to hold up as well as the old stuff did.

For most of my projects I've ordered lines from Techna-Fit. They have some stock sizes or can custom make to order. The thing I like is the PVC outer cover can be ordered in different colors from clear for bling to black for the stealthy stock look. The price is fairly reasonable too, and the custom lines don't cost much more than the off the shelf lines because everything is made in house.

http://www.techna-fit.com/brakekits.html
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
My thoughts on the steel braided brake lines, they migrated from the off-road world. We used them for protection against abrasion in desert racing. I don't really see the need for using them on a street car. I know the high dollar ones have a higher PSI rating, but I would imagine the ones sold for use on VW's are just a rubber line with steel braiding.

Is that color wheel a grey in person...or green? I may have one in my stash if it's grey.

They are green, definitely look grey in low light. You know I’ll take whatever colors you have off your hands lol
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
Raisedup58 wrote:
The one thing I haven't ordered is the soft lines. Were going to be driving this car pretty hard as we do with all of ours. I want to hear what everyone thinks about the steel braided lines compared to the regular rubber soft lines. Are they worth the extra money or should I just stick with the norm?

From a performance standpoint, I doubt it will make much difference with stock brakes on a street driven car. I think the PTFE lining would last longer though, today's rubber doesn't seem to hold up as well as the old stuff did.

For most of my projects I've ordered lines from Techna-Fit. They have some stock sizes or can custom make to order. The thing I like is the PVC outer cover can be ordered in different colors from clear for bling to black for the stealthy stock look. The price is fairly reasonable too, and the custom lines don't cost much more than the off the shelf lines because everything is made in house.

http://www.techna-fit.com/brakekits.html

Did you call them for your order? The only vw lines they have listed on the site are water cooled vw stuff.
VW's At The Springs
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I usually order the lines with the AN fittings then get the adapter to match the car. If you wanted the VW ends crimped on you would need to call or email.

It looks like they do have Porsche 356 lines listed. Not sure how the lengths compare to VW though.
http://www.technafitstore.com/PORSCHE-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-p/por-400.htm
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I don't know how they'd act on a beetle, but braided hoses made a huge difference on my motorcycles, but both of them had rubber lines that were more than 10 years old.
Now my squishy brakes feel very solid and responsive.
Stopping when you want to is a good thing on a bike. Wink

As for the ride height, my last bug was quite low, and rode pretty rough, and I got stuck on speed bumps occasionally. The thing that has convinced me to keep my 62's ground clearance was one of the crappiest experiences I've had in a car.
I was going about 50mph down a main road, and the road had been graded down to a point that the manhole covers for the sewers were sticking up about 4" out of the road.
Traffic was moving well, but I had cars all around and couldn't really swerve or change lanes without pissing someone off or getting run over.
BAM! I hit one of these things and came to a complete stop so quickly that I sat on my nuts, and had to get out of the car and barf. Boy did that suck! My 19mm front sway bar now looked like a horseshoe, and my beam was pretty tweaked. The car behind me was only barely able to avoid hitting me.
I love the look of the lowered car, and I drove mine that way for 10 years and several hundred thousand miles, but this one isn't going that low, because I plan to drive it.
The class 11 look is starting to grow on me haha....
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
I don't know how they'd act on a beetle, but braided hoses made a huge difference on my motorcycles, but both of them had rubber lines that were more than 10 years old.
Now my squishy brakes feel very solid and responsive.
Stopping when you want to is a good thing on a bike. Wink

As for the ride height, my last bug was quite low, and rode pretty rough, and I got stuck on speed bumps occasionally. The thing that has convinced me to keep my 62's ground clearance was one of the crappiest experiences I've had in a car.
I was going about 50mph down a main road, and the road had been graded down to a point that the manhole covers for the sewers were sticking up about 4" out of the road.
Traffic was moving well, but I had cars all around and couldn't really swerve or change lanes without pissing someone off or getting run over.
BAM! I hit one of these things and came to a complete stop so quickly that I sat on my nuts, and had to get out of the car and barf. Boy did that suck! My 19mm front sway bar now looked like a horseshoe, and my beam was pretty tweaked. The car behind me was only barely able to avoid hitting me.
I love the look of the lowered car, and I drove mine that way for 10 years and several hundred thousand miles, but this one isn't going that low, because I plan to drive it.
The class 11 look is starting to grow on me haha....

Can’t say Iv ever had something quite like that happen. Before this car was on air ride I got stuck pretty hard on a speed bump in a taco time drive through. For some reason they had installed one of those rubber ones and I couldn’t go around it. Ended up having half the crew out there lifting on my car with no luck. I ended up ripping the stakes out of the ground and dragging it out of the drive where I could pull it out from under the car.
We put a ton of miles on this car with it super low. Honestly the best thing I can say about stock height besides how comfortable it is. Is getting to your destination and not being completely exhausted from white knuckling around holes in the highway.

This is on the way to Manti, Utah for rat fink reunion. No trans raise or air, just sparks and screaming fulcrum plates lol.
VW's At The Springs
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
No trans raise or air, just sparks, screaming fulcrum plates, and immaturity!! lol.

Laughing
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Raisedup58 wrote:
No trans raise or air, just sparks, screaming fulcrum plates, and immaturity!! lol.

Laughing

Ahhh thanks for editing that for me. Now we’re just called old guys because we don’t have 3 piece wheels and spacers in our fenders.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Pulled my seat covers out of the basement last week, haven't looked at them in a few years.

These never made it on the car before it was pulled apart to rebuild. I bought them off a guy in Missouri who had a all original diamond grey 59 back in 2010 or so and sent them to a upholstery shop to have them stitched up. Unfortunately when the guy turned them inside out to stitch them he royally Fu**ed the piping.

I cant complain to much, they are still incredibly nice 58/59 green-grey seat covers. A couple people have commented on the color, as it doesn't look like the typical green/grey interior you see. But looking at the spots on my door panels that have never seen sun light, the colors are very close. The seat covers are definitely not blue/grey, Iv compared them to a set a friend has.

Once the pan for the car is rolling ill order the horse hair for the seats and get these installed. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the vinyl soft and pliable besides baby oil?
VW's At The Springs
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Glycerin maybe? Works for perserving leaves and flowers.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Aerospace 303?
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Aerospace 303?

Can’t say Iv ever even heard of that.
VW's At The Springs
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I haven't heard of it either. I have some original interior for my 55', and some crusty pieces to practice on. The Amazon reviews were really good for the 303. I think I'll give the 303 Multi surface cleaner and protectant a try. I like the UV protectant...I plan on driving the car and leaving it in the sun.

Thanks for mentioning that! I like that it's 100% free of silicone and oil products. I don't want that stuff near my shop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

I've used Glycerin on rubber floor mats, it made them nice and shiny.
They definitely felt more supple.
I don't think it will do anything if the material is cracking.
I had a Bus floormat that had something sitting under it for a while so it had a "lump" in it.
This one, see lump on right side

I lubed it up and put it in between some other mats I have, the lump flattened out after a while. Actual duration unknown.

TheDon wrote:
Aerospace 303?

303 is nice, I use on my VW seats for maintenance and was recommended when we bought our spa cover to use that.
The spa cover is not in the full sun but it does get some AZ sun and heat
It has not cracked at all after 5+ years
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

I've used Glycerin on rubber floor mats, it made them nice and shiny.
They definitely felt more supple.
I don't think it will do anything if the material is cracking.
I had a Bus floormat that had something sitting under it for a while so it had a "lump" in it.
This one, see lump on right side

I lubed it up and put it in between some other mats I have, the lump flattened out after a while. Actual duration unknown.

TheDon wrote:
Aerospace 303?

303 is nice, I use on my VW seats for maintenance and was recommended when we bought our spa cover to use that.
The spa cover is not in the full sun but it does get some AZ sun and heat
It has not cracked at all after 5+ years

I have some glycerin in the office for my helphos. We will try that first, if I don’t like it we will move on to the 303. Thanks boys!
VW's At The Springs
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I thought raised up 58 was going to be a class 11 look, while disappointed, you’re doing a great job. I’ll be doing the class 11 treatment to my oval soon & my 5” raised Ghia has been much more fun than any of my pan draggers ever we’re.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I thought raised up 58 was going to be a class 11 look, while disappointed, you’re doing a great job. I’ll be doing the class 11 treatment to my oval soon & my 5” raised Ghia has been much more fun than any of my pan draggers ever we’re.

Link? I love lifted vw's...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: