Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

I need to suspend my Ghia body and have it level front to back and side to side. It will be suspended temporarily while I take measurements for my tilt rotisserie. I need the level measurements to be as accurate as possible due to the height differential between the front and rear mounting points. I have checked for level using the door sills and the bottom pinch welds on the rockers and both yield different measurements.

What is the most accurate way to measure and ensure the body is level front to back and side to side? I'm certain there is a "BEST" way to do this but it eludes me.

Cheers,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

A suspension alignment specification should get you from front to back.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

The body has flat heater channel bottoms under the doors & would be used for leveling in both directions.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
A suspension alignment specification should get you from front to back.
I don't fully understand your answer but thank you. I need to look up alignment specs anyway so this is an extra motivator.

Mike Fisher wrote:
The body has flat heater channel bottoms under the doors & would be used for leveling in both directions.
Thanks Mike. I thought about that option bur was not sure if it was viable.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't fully understand your answer but thank you. I need to look up alignment specs anyway so this is an extra motivator.

Before a suspension alignment is done ,the tech measures to see if the car needs springs or not. They measure from what the tires are setting on to a reference point on the body.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

UPDATE:
My garage floor was too uneven to yield accurate measurements. I ended up using a string, level, and wooded blocks to set reference points on the garage floor. I suspended the car from the ceiling using forged eye bolts and two come-alongs, leveled it, then used the floor reference points to measure to the bottom horizontal surface of the heater channel at the front and rear. This got me close enough for what I needed.

Thanks for the feedback.
Emil

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

I used a long spirt level along and across between the heater channels, then packed my body dolly up using pieces of timber then pieces of sheet metal as required to get the level right. A laser level would be more accurate but hopefully the spirit level was close to within a couple of mm.

You can move the body without realising it as you work on the car so my advice is to reckeck the levels when you trial fit before doing any major cutting and welding.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
...You can move the body without realising it as you work on the car so my advice is to reckeck the levels when you trial fit before doing any major cutting and welding.
Thanks for the feedback and advise. I am fortunate that no cutting in structural areas will be needed. My goal was to get the dimensions close enough to get the front and rear pivot points on the rotisserie reasonably aligned. After cycling the rotisserie several times now and moving the car in and out of the garage about 15 times I am willing to call it done.

-----
Emil

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

Got any pics?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best way to measure a Ghia body for level? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Got any pics?
If you are referring to pics of the rotisserie you can see them at the following post in my build thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8961261#8961261
I plan to start a thread with measured drawings and a materials list in this forum once I have the time to sit and church up my SketchUp drawing.

If you are referring to how i measured, I did not take any pictures and the setup is long gone. I can draw it out if you need a visual refference.

-----
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: