Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daily Driver and Fuel Injection
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74vwbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Looking for some input on motor size and fuel injection systems for our 1958 bug. We will be driving it a lot and want reliability and longevity. We will be buying all new parts.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Talk to these guys. They'll want to know what you expect for performance, your driving style, all about the car.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Turnkey-Engines-s/138.htm
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

ShoptalkForum is the place for you.
All depends how fast you wanna go and how deep your pockets are Smile
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
ShoptalkForum is the place for you.
All depends how fast you wanna go and how deep your pockets are :)

Yeah....

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=48dc044fb6c4fd188f5a54f9da2ab9f1

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Another way of doing it is find a 1978-79 F.I. bug as a donor car and swap engine with wiring harness & e.c.u....i do that quite a bit in my shop with Honda & Acura vehicle, it is a clean simple installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Of course an engine from a 1978-79 car is now some 40 years old so expect to deal with age-related problems.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Mario at the DubShop is pretty switched on when it comes to EFI packages ...... worth an ask
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Of course an engine from a 1978-79 car is now some 40 years old so expect to deal with age-related problems.

Max

you need to fresh up the engine but that is a reliable daily driver with F.I. that you can go to a auto parts store that sell bosch parts and can get what you need.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

laker wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

you need to fresh up the engine but that is a reliable daily driver with F.I. that you can go to a auto parts store that sell bosch parts and can get what you need.

Any engine I don't know the history of gets a complete teardown inspection before it gets anywhere near a car I will be driving daily. It's the only way I could ever trust it.

Max
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

If you want to stay 1600cc -the stock VW FI system will work. But finding good parts for them is hard. It will be some work but you may be succesful.

Simpler will be going w/ carburetor/s. Easy.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

laker wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........NOOOOOO. This is NOT an Honda or an acura. The newest Beetle German FI system will be turning 40 next year. Parts are damn near impossible to find in good shape.

If anything on a stock engine I would look at Mexican F.I.

brad
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

The dubshop can hook you up with a setup that will allow you to walk in to any flaps for parts........
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
The dubshop can hook you up with a setup that will allow you to walk in to any flaps for parts........

Yep.

But you still need a solid engine to start with.

Max
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Please don't kill the messenger,
http://lowbugget.com/2b.html
A nice variety of Stand alone FI choices.
And yea I know the shop can be a PITA to deal with. I'm just throwing out the alternative suggestion.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

As long as we're tossing ideas around,

The dubshop kits I am certain are wonderful. Mario really knows his stuff. But they are pricey.

If you have some skills and are not afraid of the learning curve you can put together a good FI system yourself. I just started with original VW FI hardware and built-out a megasquirt control system. Took a while and I had a lot of help but in the end I wound up with a pretty decent system that uses modern parts.

If you just buy a kit, you have paid for the privilege of owning a system you don't yourself understand.

Max
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

1600 dual port, single solex carb, svda type distributor. Carry spares of carb and distributor, and in 15 years when ur suffering from dementia, you won’t have to try and troubleshoot a cobbled together system that you can’t remember how it works, and the hardware and software is obsolete, or the company you bought from is no longer in business. But then again I’m biased, having gone the megasquirt route before.
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
1600 dual port, single solex carb, svda type distributor. Carry spares of carb and distributor, and in 15 years when ur suffering from dementia, you won’t have to try and troubleshoot a cobbled together system that you can’t remember how it works, and the hardware and software is obsolete, or the company you bought from is no longer in business. But then again I’m biased, having gone the megasquirt route before.

X2 on that, that's the reason when one of the boys in my sons aircool club is going away for college and wants to go the F.I route I always guide them in a original VW F.I, engine swap that way you know exactly what you have and if they have a problem can't diagnosed the problem they can take it to a vw shop were they are at.
I guess we are spoiled out here in So. Cal. because I see no problems getting parts for F.I. motors...again is a clean easy swap specially if you find a donor car.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Megasquirt isn't for everybody.

But neither is building your own engine. The skills and toolage are different, but how many people now own engines from builders who are unknown or retired and have no idea what they have or how to diagnose the first problem they have with it?

That's what build sheets are for.

Max
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver and Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Megasquirt isn't for everybody.

But neither is building your own engine. The skills and toolage are different, but how many people now own engines from builders who are unknown or retired and have no idea what they have or how to diagnose the first problem they have with it?

That's what build sheets are for.

Max

To add to this when you build it yourself you need to make sure you document everything.I have 4 pages of wire colors and numbers to and from megasquirt,one with color diagram another with part numbers. I had someone look at adding a pressure sensor and they had no problem working on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: