Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan installation
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corinne&jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

Getting ready to install new floor pans in 66 beetle. They came with a rust preventer on them that the manufacturer recommended sanding away before welding. Just wondering if I have to sand the entire pan or just where I will be welding?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mac2881994
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

I only removed the factory E coat from the areas that I plug welded when I did my pans. That was a few years back.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

Brush on www.MasterSeriesCT.com silver & black onto them to finish them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

That paint's purpose is to just keep it from rusting while it is sitting in the warehouse or being shipped. How good do you think it is? Confused
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

Corinne&jake wrote:
Getting ready to install new floor pans in 66 beetle. They came with a rust preventer on them that the manufacturer recommended sanding away before welding. Just wondering if I have to sand the entire pan or just where I will be welding?

Run a wire wheel or flap disk over the flange areas to remove the paint so it doesn't contaminate the MIG process.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

You have to remove from where you are welding to not contaminate the weld. You should scuff the entire pan for mechanical adhesion but do not have to remove the e-coat. It should be topcoated with quality sealer and paint.
Corinne&jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan installation Reply with quote

I ended up calling the manufacturer of the pans and they said the entire pans needed to have the coating removed saying it was just to prevent the metal from rusting in the warehouse, if I left it on it would flake off in a couple years. So I went to it with an angle grinder and got it down to bare metal, long process, 1 pan took about 1 1/2 hours. They recommend painting with POR 15 or equivalent so that’ll be next.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: